Illinois Mary Jane laws

On Jan. 1, Illinois becomes the 11th state to legalize the sale and consumption of recreational marijuana. Will Chicago and the rest of Illinois be ready to handle the experience? We wonder.

Earlier this month, Mayor Lori Lightfoot tried to clarify one vague aspect of the new state law, which bans the consumption of cannabis in “public spaces.” Does that mean lighting up anywhere on your own property is OK? Not OK? Lightfoot said that as far as Chicago is concerned, using cannabis in your own backyard or on your balcony is fine. She added that Chicago police officers are being trained “how they should use discretion in their enforcement powers to educate residents on the new legalization laws.” If the result is that all officers apply that discretion fairly and equally as everyone gets comfortable with the sudden visible use of a once-illegal drug, we’ll be both pleased, and surprised.

2 Likes

Are you in IL? Only asking because your profile says NC.

Moving to Indiana soon as the house sells :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cops here in Missouri are arresting people even tho they have medical cards.
The lack of training of law enforcement is appalling.

1 Like

It’s a seller’s market you probably not going to have to wait long. Good luck with your new location.

1 Like

Im sure they will be watching the border’s but you can bet I’ll try to bootleg some to Indiana. At least it’s 1 more state going legal, thats good news.

Crazy the cops need to be trained better than that.

1 Like

I’m in a very conservative state, but even many conservative state legislators have been pushing for legalization of medical cannabis.

I am personally looking forward to getting there as I have a number of conditions that would qualify for a medical marijuana card and my doctor has no problem with it.

@SeaSeaside_guy1 I’m referring to Indiana, by the way.

3 Likes

Gotcha. I’m assuming by Chicago reference that’s NW Indiana. You wouldn’t be terribly far from me if that’s the case.

Anyway, the bill passed is kind of a joke in comparison to what was originally written. No recreational growing, and tight plant count for medical card holders to grow. The part that kills me is the extremely high cost of licensing. If you come from a community “hit hard by cannabis prohibition” they are using tax proceeds to assist you in start up. What most don’t realize is that the state grandfathered all existing licenses to something like 200,000 ft² canopies, but are only issuing new licenses for something like 5000 ft² canopy. All of the new businesses won’t stand a chance, and that will eventually lead to pissing away the tax money invested. Another notable is that IL didn’t distinguish the difference between flower and extract until this bill goes into effect.

This is more of a political thing than a cannabis thing. But within a year or two they will be complaining that it doesn’t bring the revenue they expected.

5 Likes

Yep, Chicago will be 2 hours from me. Hope you wrong about the tax revenue, might turn other states against.

1 Like

Interesting link. Just goes to show that this legalization really means “regulation”

1 Like

I’m concerned about the focus on tax revenue as well because it may preclude individual cannabis cultivation from making it into a future bill.

2 Likes

Already has in Illinois.

1 Like

Even tho my wife and I are legal we still operate in stealth mode. Nobody knows what we do.
Why invite trouble.

4 Likes

Smart! No ones business.

2 Likes

Here’s what I found re: cultivation in IL.

Medical marijuana patients would be allowed to grow five plants at a time. But non-patients are not allowed to grow marijuana at home – punishable by a civil penalty of $200 for growing up to five plants.

Only Illinois’ 20 existing licensed medical marijuana cultivation facilities will be licensed to grow marijuana initially. In 2020, “craft growers” will be able to apply for licenses to cultivate up to 5,000 square feet.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. This stuff is pompous really. It just needs to be decriminalized instead of regulated.

4 Likes

Yup, those 20 licenses are the big ones. Held by a handful of large companies, some of them publicly traded.

2 Likes

Here’s a kick in the butt from the IL law:

“Illinois already has a law on the books that makes drivers with THC blood concentration of five nanograms or more per milliliter [guilty] of driving under the influence, regardless of whether the driver is impaired. The new law creates a DUI Task Force led by Illinois State Police to examine best practices for roadside testing.”

Anyone who consumes regularly will maintain a blood level above this. Standard DOT and employment tests the level to 6 times that level at 30ng/ml.

2 Likes