ILGM Rocks! Lighting Question

New to the site and loving it. I have been doing my homework over the last few days regarding lights. I have made up my mind to use LED. I plan to have a 3x3 grow space and was looking at the Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt XL Quantum Board LED Kit V2 Rspec.

Is this light enough for a 3x3 space growing three auto flowers or one feminized? And does anyone know where to purchase? Every site that I have checked is sold out. Or do you have other recommendations.

Once again thanks for all the knowledge in this great community.

2 Likes

If you’re not in a huge hurry you may want to consider a DIY light. It may not be something you are interested in doing, but you can build your own and end up with a better light for less money. I’m going to link a video on building a light just to give you a idea on what’s involved. Just something to consider especially if you can’t get the light your considering. This light would be perfect for a 3x3

2 Likes

I had thought of building my own. Thanks for the video.

1 Like

Forgot to Welcome you to ILGM forum. If you want research further about DIY build here’s a link to thread that you can get all the answers you need about lighting @dbrn32 is the one who can answer questions about lights if you have any.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

A 260 kit will be great in a 3x3, but I would look for a 260 xw kit or the standard 260 kit. The 260 xl kit is a better fit for a 2x4.

If you decide to build fixture yourself, I can help with that too.

2 Likes

What are the cost savings to build your own? What would you build for a 3x3?

1 Like

It’s not a huge light, so depends on exactly what components you would use vs which fixture you would buy.

A qb 260 kit in r-spec runs about $370. You can usually build for that space for around $300.

Not having any luck finding this light in stock. I may have to build one. Will do some more research. What would you need to build this light?

If you buy an HLG kit and are at all handy you can put the first one together in about 45-minutes. I have built several and can do it quicker than that now. Several videos on YouTube that show you how.

2 Likes

Two 288 r-spec boards, two slate 2 single heatsinks, and a meanwell hlg-240h-c2100a led driver. The rest of the stuff can be bought on Amazon or found locally.

1 Like

The xl won’t fit in a 3x3. But having HLG lights, I see why they get bragged up all the time.

2 Likes

They also charge taxes. At least they did on my order.

1 Like

Thanks for this info.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Found these online. What else will I need? And does this look right?

LED Driver

288 R-Spec Boards
https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/products/horticulture-lighting-group-qb288-v2-rspec-slate-2-double-combo?variant=31345415258154

1 Like

You’ll need a small spool of 18awg solid rated for 300v (like $6 on amazon). A 16/3 power cord. You can find this on amazon too. Most big box, hardware, home improvement stores also sell as appliance replacement cord. Or, you can hack up an outdoor extension cord if need be. And you’ll need some wago connectors or similar. This is to make your wiring connections to driver. There’s probably hundreds of different products you can use, wago lever nuts are most popular. They’re available on amazon too.

1 Like

Just don’t know if that will be enough room for all those flowers.

I am on board [x2] lol - anyone look at the MW driver XLG-240 driver ?
trying to confirm that they work well with the QB288 V2 R Spec boards…

@dbrn32 - any thoughts on the new MW XLG series - any better features to drive QB288 V2Rspec boards ?

I always buy hlg series. The proper model for two 288 boards would be hlg-240h-c2100a with built in dimmer.

Thanx!!!

1 Like