ILGM GDP Hydro First Grow

So a bit late to start to journal but here it goes, also this is my first grow! Set up is 2x4 GGT, HLG350R, PA Hyrdo Fallponic 2 plant 8gal buckets, AC Infinity type 67 controller powering 6in exhaust fan and carbon filter, MRV13 intake filter. Inkbird humidity controller with 1gal cool mist humidifier, Jacks 12-4-16 with RO,DI base water.

Made some mistakes starting off. Way to much water on my Oasis cubes dampened off my start. Here they are after 5 days in the cubes.

Here they are 6 days after sprouting. Again had the cubes a bit to wet I think.

16days later, again to much water in the cubes, and I also went out of town for 3 days and they dried out a bit thus the brown tips. When I got back they went into the hydro system. First day in Hydro.

Hard to believe but this is just 4 days later. Hydro system growth rates are nuts!!!

Here they are again another 4 days later.

And now were caught up to today 6 days later. Day36 since sprouting. Did my first res change. And started to Mainline, thinking about using Nebulas method. I will say it was counter intuitive to cut off so much growth but I hope it will be worth it in the end.

Pre trim

Post Trim

Any tips or tricks are always welcome.

5 Likes

Looking great.

On that note may I add something that really turn my grow up a notch.
Botanicare Hydroguard contains Bacillus amyloliquefaciens , a natural bacterial root inoculant and water treatment that helps suppress and resist in soil and hydroponic gardens. Use with every watering — from seedling to harvest — to create a healthy, disease-free environment.
Hydroguard is back with a new, clean look and a more powerful, concentrated formula. Hydroguard’s reformulation makes it even more effective than before. Its unique formula, available exclusively from Botanicare, contains an isolated form of Bacillus bacteria known as Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. This scientifically isolated bacterium was selected for its superior ability to amplify root mass and vigor, especially in hydroponic gardening, when compared with the more common and well known Bacillus subtilis species. These highly specialized rhizobacteria assist in the breakdown of organic materials, and may increase nutrient availability.

Botanicare Hydroguard Bacillus Root Inoculant, Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IGFH25M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0ZC6DTVF7T0WMT433YYW

Bonus tip - If you aren’t using a water chiller an easy way to increase Oxygen in your tank. Pre-chill your water by cooling your next watering by dropping a 1 liter cola bottle that’s been frozen to your watering reservoir and letting the temp drop to below 65 deg.
Colder water, not below 62 deg, is a great way to up the amount of Oxygen available to your plants.

1 Like

@LateNightGardner @PurpNGold74 @Myfriendis410

I have read about a few of the beneficial bacteria being able to beat out Pythium and considered using them and still may try next grow. After reading so much about HOCL and how many green house growers have used it with waster temps in the 80’s with no root rot issues I decided to go the full sterile route until I can afford a cooler, so they are at cross purposes at the moment. So far I have not been disappointed and my roots look white and healthy.

However for all the things HOCL is good for I did learn a hard lesson the other day. If you have ever seen the commercial sterilizing foggers they use HOCL as the sterilizing agent. I decided to put some in my cool mist humidifier to keep the water scum out. Turns out that yeah… even though HOCL is one of the gentler oxidizers its still way to much for leaves. I basically wound up acid washing my primary leaves right after trimming with the humidifier solution and they are looking pretty bad.

HELP!!!

I am trying to use the manifold method this grow but again learned that basically the highest node growth is what the plant will use as its new main stem. When I trimmed I did not cut off the secondary growths from the 3rd node and now those are the primary. With the older main 3rd node stem leaves so badly damaged by the HOCL I am considering cutting them off and just leaving the secondary 3rd node intact as the new leaves were not as adversely effected by my unintentional acid wash. My question is that I do not believe their connection to the main stem looks as strong and if I will run into joint strength issues as the plant continues to grow.

Again any help is appreciated, this hobby has a lot to offer and so much learning is going on right now.

Day after trim, noticing the HOCL leaf burn dumped and washed out humidifier res.

Roots, I do realize the water level is high however with my system that is as low as I can go without locking up my return pipe. Wish I would have got the 13 gallon system as it would not of had this problem with its extra height.

Todays leaf burn pics and third node pic. Wish I would have washed off the leaves with water as I think the solution left on them continued to burn.

I think plants will be just fine. That said you need to get water level down below net pot. If you can’t lower the solution level can you raise net pot an inch? A piece of 1" styrofoam cut with a fillet knife would do fine.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

Good Idea, I will have to come up with something. Did not even occur to me to raise the netpots. Thank you!!!

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

Just talked to a friend with a 3d printer. Taking measurements now so he can make a height adapter for the netpots. thinking about an interlocking design so I can incrementally adjust the height by a 1/4in.

2 Likes

HELP!!

One of my girls leaves for some reason seem to be dried out. They do not feel feel lush like her sister leaves. They are crinkly and have some brown spots. Also for some reason around the same time this started I have had to add PH up normally I have just had to drop it a bit. There is some yellowing of her roots but nothing that looks to bad, will go get pics if anyone wants to see them. Still have not fixed the net pot height been kinda busy but working on a nutrient change now.

Dried out leaves.

Her sister with lush leaves.

So its been to long since my last post but now I am in my second week of flower and my girls are to tall. What can I do?

Picks from today 07/01. I have already moved changed out the cables on my light from 15in to 12in, I just ordered 10in cables to try to get a little more room from the light and the tops. Everything I have read says to not cut the tops but I may have to.

A few more pics from 07/01. I did veg a bit to long trying to get the girl on the right back to health. I was running my water to high I believe and had some root ball rot.

1 Like

05/26 Training after my last manifold chop.

06/08 getting bushy

06/19 I forget when but they are in flower now and starting to stretch.

06/22 Crazy how fast they grow in flower.

06/25 Again getting really tall

1 Like

A few photos from this week 07/03-08

1 Like