ILGM GDP Auto Grow attempt # 1

This will be my first attempt at growing. I’m using Fox Farm soil cut with perlite, about 30% perlite 70% soil. I got a 2.3X2.3 tent from Mars-hydro in a kit with fan and light and what have you. The light is the ts1000 led. I have the light set at 30% at 18 inches from the pots. Fan is at med setting and adjustments being made to reach optimum but currently at 23.5c and 45% humidity. Plastic cups were used as humidity domes to cover seeds that were germinated in a glass of distilled water for 48 hrs exposing the tap root. I plan to use FF nutrients, the trio, but understand that FF soil contains nutes and the like and will carry me till the 4th or 5th week of growth. Suggestions are welcome. Feeling confident about the process for the most part, looking forward to more updating, maybe harvesting a lil bud too :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I see by the pics you like purple, so glad you didn’t get a blurple light. Looks good so far hope it makes plenty of meds for you. GDP is a good med plant.

4 Likes

Very nice start I’ve used a goooooooood bit of ff soils, nutes, ffof will carry u a few weeks, an know you gonna love that GDP, as :point_up::point_up: very good med strain, Btw love those stick traps. Lil shovel that comes with em lol work very well

2 Likes

Ffof will take u 4 to 6 weeks before needing nutes. Works super well in my eyes. I did do a switch to coco gor this grow to see whats up with coco and so far i am loving the coco. The growth rate is so much faster it seems no deficiencies at all no over nuting them it seems and i push them from time to time. Somedays i eill eyebaall my additives no weigh or measure. I never really overgo what they need but sometines i will say i tip the bottle and give a slight stream lol. I just poke a hole in the yop with a nail do it cones out the bottles in a small stream as to make no messes and waste. I do however always wrigh up the jacks tho just not additives always. I got a good jisy of how much goes in each five gallon bucket so i eyeball it from time to time. Good luck they look good so far and as stated above glad to see u did not get the blurple light and went with the mars hydro. Way better choice.

4 Likes

Welcome ! Depending on what week you’re Autos flower.ocean Forest should carry plants all the way up to the start of flowering stage. As @Mark0427 mentioned. Happy growing

5 Likes

I thought hard about using coco. I have experience with it from mycology but got a lil anxious at all the PH’ing involved. Kinda shaky on that part so I went soil. It’s funny about the blurpie, yrs ago it was all the rage, I looked at it then as a light for mycology because of the spectrum it ran at, but LEDs were fairly new and I figured that the newer full spectrum ones would be way better of a light just because of the annual advances in tech. I’m pretty impressed for its size and wattage. Gonna upgrade to the tsw 2000 next year, maybe this year depending on stimulus, I figured out the math though I’m spending nearly 5k a year just on meds for me and my ol lady. Can put together a pretty awesome grow for 5k a year. Money better spent plus my weed will always be in stock. Thank you for your responses.

4 Likes

contacted Mars-hydro about safety concern about hanging string off light to quick measure distance. Quick response, however, it didn’t address my concern. Instead they gave me…

this turned out to be more helpful to me because, as per their website, The light was to be at 12-18 inches at 30% but according to the email it should be set at 50%. Made the adjustment and am monitoring environment for changes hoping my temps will rise a bit more, been in low 70’s looking for mid 70’s.

2 Likes

They popped up late last night!

I had to help one get her shell off, two more need help but we’re resistant so I will give them some more time to push out more on their own. I took a razor knife and cut 4 small holes into the top of clear cups to keep humidity high and promote fresh air exchange inside. I will have to go check my notes but I believe I will leave them tented this way till they are two inches tall. Input appreciated. This last pick is of my set up as a whole just after a fresh misting. I’m misting kinda heavy twice a day. I spray a spray or two inside domes and then about 20-25 sprays over the surface of the pot after domes have been replaced. I’m nervous a little about the soil drying out because I only rinsed and wetted the perlite I added other wise it’s the FFOF straight outta the bag. It felt moist and I was reassured by reading the boards but I’m still kinda bitten my nails. What I am doing seems to be working and outside of radical changes or expert opinion, I will continue on.

3 Likes

Tag me on your grow please as GDP auto is pretty much in my ILGM wish/shopping list for next grow.

I have two Mars Hydro lights and the sky cable and the connection cable have been off the side of them and I just tested and they are warm but nothing more than say low on a snap style hand warmer would make them. Not hot for sure and no signs of damage and this is grow #3 on one of them. I am satisfied with them and when I upgraded to a larger tent was happy to know that I could just add a smaller one to make up for it.

Also be careful with those solo cups on top, they look pretty wet with condensation and I lost four seedlings for that very reason on grow #2. Honestly, right now is probably the trickiest part as it doesn’t take much to hurt them, esp autos, but in a couple of weeks or even less you will be amazed at growth and resilience. I use FF HF with vermiculite.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. The picture was taken after I had misted. I have been misting two mists inside the now vented cups then replacing them over the seedling. Then I spray about 25-30 sprays over the top of each pot. And some around on the inside walls and on the outsides of the pots. To replace what my opening the tent let’s out. I do this twice a day. Been maintaining about 50% in the tent prolly about 75% inside cups, which have now been vented to promote air exchange. I will be most careful with them. Does @KikiGee tag you?

1 Like

It does tag me. My seedlings were in a little biodegradable pot and not yet in their final destination. I had a lot less margin for error being as how I didn’t have soil around the pot to absorb the moisture. Looking again at your seedlings I see they are already in the soil so I now get why you are doing that. My bad to miss that! It is a balancing act for sure.

1 Like

I should us the IPad for pics instead of my phone. Much better camera.

1 Like

got the seed off that one. standing tall and the rest. The cup is kinda wet gonna back off misting it some. These pics were taken just prior to misting, the 2 inches or more around the sprout is moist under the to 1/4 inch of soil but outside of that ring is considerably dryer but still moist and receiving a mist along with the inside of the domes every 12 hrs. Probably update in a couple days. My plan is to remove the domes in about 5 days at which point I give a much more thorough watering then.

3 Likes

They look good. The only thing I would be careful of when they start filling out is misting the tent walls. I used a humidifier at this stage and kept walls wiped dry as I didn’t want to encourage mold. First grow I had a small and fortunately easily dealt with case of powdery mildew and I attributed it to condensation on tent wall.

2 Likes

I’m new but isn’t 4 plants in a 2.3 x 2.3 going to be insanely tight??

1 Like

Yeah probably, it’s what came with the kit I bought and they fit so I figured the worst thing that could happen is I might have to cull a plant or even two. Better to have 5 plants too choose from then only having two. Death of at least 1 plant is anticipated. I figure that 1 oz of MMJ costs around 400 bucks depending so even if only one plant survives and I get 1 oz of flower I’ve already paid for the seeds. Also Im not outside of a position to buy another tent and light should the need arise. Infact, I’m banking on it. Also, to think I’ll be able to fill that tent with flowers so dense and with more tops then can be counted, kinda turns me on a lil bit! :wink: …seriously though, yes, more then likely.

2 Likes

Well getting another tent is always the best option lol! Not a bad idea doing extras and taking the best growers of them, just would be nice to grow them all out. You should be able to get way more than 1 oz from a plant… Maybe try all solo cups next time. This helps with a few things. 1) You wont be wasting a bunch of soil if you end up culling a plant 2) Its easier to over water with a small plant in a big pot 3) Easier to maneuver the pot 4) After the roots have developed around the cup, when you transplant it lets a very high amount of root surface area touch the new soil, promoting even better growth.

My biggest scare would be the airflow. Not saying its impossible, but from what I have seen that is the most dangerous part to having so many plants in a small space. That and humidity… High RH during flower = bud mold. Might need to look into Sea of Green method with a net.

Someone more qualified than I should chime in lol

1 Like

Looking good. Just be very gentle on the water. SO easy to over water when you have seedlings in a large pot. I usually keep sprouts in solo until 4 or 5 nodes,then how to 1 gal plastic pot and at 1ft they go in final 3 gallon fabric. Your soil and set up with ilgm genetics you are on the way. Every run gets easier. Just watch the water with a seedling in a bigger pot

2 Likes

I read a ton on this about autoflowers, and although there was a bunch of disagreement I felt swayed to the idea that autoflowers do not have the time to recover from transplant. Something about the grow period is set more so then with photoperiod plants. It’s the same reason that cloned auto’s don’t perform as well as their photoperiod counterparts. I’m only going off of what I have read and believe you me, everybody has a different take. Wish that wasn’t the case, it would make learning to grow via text so much easier. Trial and error it is! Any input greatly appreciated, @jaymac do you do all that repoting always, regardless of strain or type? What kind of failure rate, if any, do you have when doing transfers of auto’s specifically (all my seeds currently are auto’s, even my reserves.) On a similar note when planting seed into soil, do you add moisture or straight outta the bag? (Let’s assume for conversation sake that the soil is fresh and not dried out or sun baked) in my case I only moistened the perlite I cut the soil with, and it’s been keeping me at high anxiety. After 4 days under the light (yesterday) I watered each pot with 250ml of water in addition to the regular twice a day misting. It was pretty dry around the perimeter of the solo cup, my soil meter read dry too. It’s moist under the cup which is good. I spray like 5 sprays into the cup and let the water fall close to the plant when I put the cup back on. And spray 30 sprays at each pot to keep the surface moist and give humidity to tent after cups replaced. Again, any input please…I have a background in mycology and this is very different…so dry by comparison…so dry. Thanks

3 Likes

Not bad information! Autos need as much growth time as possible for sure. You can do a lot to mitigate shock though. For instance with my grow using a solo cup, I cut down the side of the cup in 3 different areas which lets you peel away the cup like a banana. Very little stress this way! A guy on the forum by the name of Hellraiser posted about that method. All credit goes to him, I just tag him a lot so I am trying not to over do it lol. But yeah you are right, everyone has varying opinions for sure! Next time do 3 in solo cups and 3 in those big pots and see what grows faster lol.

Also using Real Growers Recharge is supposed to help plants bounce back from transplant stress… IDK if thats true, but I am actually doing a White Widow Auto grow, just transplanted yesterday and used some so we will see how fast she starts growing again. The whole mass of soil and roots from the solo cup was nice and tight. I have a grow journal if you are interested in watching!

2 Likes