ILGM bud of the month chat room 2023-2024

Okay update from my post earlier, I appreciate everyone and everything i get or learn from here, I’m a hands on person until i can process what is needed and to actually follow directions to help my girls recover. I have a Bluelab truncheon the local grower suggested also my new ph pen, it really does matter, I was wondering what was going on they are all in shock from to much feeding. I flushed 5-7 gallons through them each to lower numbers and let them revive.

8 Likes

I keep my room at 78-80 then drop it to 65 sometimes down to 62 in late flower trying to mimmick Hubolt County, Ca. Coastal conditions in a grow room in Virginia…lol

5 Likes

Interesting just watched a special on Humbolt County my ame temps cooler nights for sure trying not to have a heater on unless needed.

2 Likes

Heater is not needed unless your temp drops kore than 10°. The lower temp might actually bring out some fall colors

5 Likes

I was afraid that 60 is to cold for them not sure, your suggesting I will be okay

1 Like

Dropping to 60f for lights off shouldn’t be bad. I don’t think it’s cold enough to shock roots insulated by growing media. You want to make sure lights on temps are high enough to have good growth rates though. For most of us this is about 80f.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information, have been wondering, I’m 80 during lights on and my cameras and Bluetooth gadgets make it so I can keep an eye on everything

My lights on an dark hrs, exhaust fans temp controls. We are having a stretch of really nice fall weather 77 today

6 Likes

That’s good! Outside of flowering photo plants everything you need cannabis to do happens with lights on. You could technically even veg the plants on constant light if you needed to, it just rarely makes sense to do so.

5 Likes

When I started this great adventure I was running 24/7, I read they need a break so I stopped that, veg was 18/6 and flower13/11. Running autos only now, one area. Im still learning daily thanks for responding so quickly.

4 Likes

There are a lot of people think that, or will say things like “all living things need sleep”. This just simply isn’t true when it comes to c3 plants.

I think vegging on 18 hours makes sense for most people. Trying to justify using 24 hours light would take some unusual circumstances.

8 Likes

@Bunger64 I have been growing nothing but Auto flower strains and have always run my lights 24/7…Can you direct me to the document that explains why they need a break? Please and thank you…

3 Likes

I agree @Newbie84, if it hadn’t been for Doc and everyone else on this site my grow would have been a bust. My first grow was a great success and my smoke buddies all love the high from my home grown.
I’m getting ready for my next grow, an auto, but first I have to get the contractors out of my grow room. Getting excited to try something new.

5 Likes

Okay in looking back to my statement I have been growing both Auto’s and Photo’s together in a 3-4month cycle. I found some information on the form or in my Youtube video searches and came up with a Dr. Bruce Bugbee he does a really interesting segment on lights and what’s needed, I also searched in topics to see if the question was out there, yes and there is a lot of idea’s. I guess my decision was the extra cost in electric and they seemed to like the short light cycles just as much in my eyes anyways. I guess it’s all in what works best for us in different situations. Cannabis Grow Lighting Myths and FAQs with Dr. Bruce Bugbee - YouTube. Hope it’s okay to share the link.

3 Likes

@StickyFrostyBuds. You killed with that gold leaf. :+1: wow! How long did it flower? Outdoor i assume? I grew one and harvested on oct 15th. She didnt get the beautiful dark orange hairs like you got. Im wondering if i went to soon. My buds turned out good just not great.

4 Likes

Thanks, I really love Gold Leaf myself.

I grow indoors and that pic is from from day 73 of flower (exactly 73 days from when I flipped to a 12x12 light schedule). I’ve observed several different Gold Leaf phenotypes in my gardens but this one is my favorite…huge dense flowers with a lot of color flares, and a heavy coating of sticky frost!

In regards to the length of time for flowering…for planning purposes I always add 10 days up front for the transition from veg to “true” flower and then as many days needed at the end for the trichomes to ripen. I’ve harvested ripe buds with a lot of white pistils remaining and I’ve harvested ripe buds with 100% red/brown pistils so I switched to trichome evaluation a long time ago as the only real factor in gaging ripeness.

ILGM says Gold Leaf flowers in 9 weeks (63 days) but my exlerience says it will take a few more weeks to really ripen the way most of us like. I havested this one at 78 days and it had about 10-20% amber…just the way i like it…a little more heady and little less sedation. Love the smoke, sweet taste, burns well, and it’s really stony!

I’ve decided I’ll never be without Gold Leaf beans in my personal seed bank!

9 Likes

I’ve actually done a couple side by side runs using 18/6 and 24/7 light schedules, and the Cannabis plants under 24/7 definitely grew bigger, faster…no question.

That said they definitely weren’t 25% bigger and frankley looked a little worse off than the plants under 18 hours light.

Interestingly, the difference in my yields between the 2 gardens was only 6% and 9% the two times i did this test. For my setup, that really doesn’t justify the cost of running my lights the extra 6 hours each day.

8 Likes

Thanks for the info. Im sure i will give it another go.

1 Like

I typically veg for a while on 24 hours light too. But only reason I do this is because I use a very small light to start plants, so keeping light on all the time helps keep node spacing a little tighter. I don’t grow autos so flowering on 24 hour light is out of the question, but your results should be in line with what is expected. Leaving lights on longer increases dli and so long as it’s not so high of dli that exceeds plant capabilities you should see increase in production.

10 Likes

My banana kush entry in the drying phase

17 Likes

@HeyJB more like Pink Leaf! WTG!!

3 Likes