ILGM Bruce Banner Autoflower Grow attempt #2

Yeah I know what ya mean.

@Low tagging you in my journal so I don’t hijack someone’s thread.
I have been having some issues understanding how to manage my soil ph.
I wasn’t tracking the figures prior to a Cple weeks ago.
This part is tuff to understand. Hope you can help me.
I picked my trouble plant to ask about, here is my last weeks tracking.
7/9 in @6.85ph 728ppm (didn’t record the out)
7/10 in @6.92ph 123ppm out @5.98 396ppm ( silica blast and cal mag to bring ppm over 100)
7/11 in @6.88ph 1163ppm out @5.86ph 859ppm ( Big Bloom, cal mag, tiger bloom and 1/2 dose of beauty blooms)
7/13 in @6.85ph 121ppm out @5.82ph 277ppm
7/14 5 moisture reading no water/feed
Am I doing ok here? As I type this I feel silly. I think my issue is I do not understand how you adjust the PH after you already water/feed (random figures in example-water in @6.8 with 1000ppm out at 5.23 300ppm)

1 Like

I can try to help!

What size is the pot?
Type of water?
Picture of the problem plant?
Have you done a slurry test?

The numbers make it look like it’s eating. But the PH seems to be trending down, which may end up causing problems.

1 Like

Pot is 3.5 gallon airpot
Water is RO
I did a slurry 16 days ago it was a 5.9 Not sUre I dug more then an inch into the soil though-lotsa roots in the way, afraid of hurting her.

appreciate the help. Today is a feeding day and I wanna make sure I’m in good shape. Got like 3 weeks or so till harvest.

2 Likes

How many days into flower?
Have you ever flushed?
If it were me I’d flush with 6.8 water until the soil ph was 6.3 at least, followed with a feed if the run off is ppm too low.
But if it’s eating you could amend with lime, takes a few feedings. I did a tsp per gallon and it helped.

1 Like

I’m am about 4 weeks and 5 days give or take a day into flower.
I have not flushed with 3 times volume of pot, I have flushed with 3 gallons of pure water (unph’d and under 15ppm) but I didn’t check where I ended up afterwards. Lessons we learn along the way, eh?
I will flush today, I like the lime idea better but I’m strapped for cash for another few days and I’d like to correct the problem today.
That being the case, I recently discovered cal mag has nitrogen in it, so I have started using epsom salt to increase the Ppm’s up to over 120 so the ph will hold on water only days. To double check, that safe to do yeah? And if not, what do you suggest to use to increase the ppm’s of my flush water? Or just go pure water?
Also, what would be considered too high ppm to feed?
As for technique when flushing-do you pour in a gallon then wait, then another gallon, then wait checking runoff as you go or pour in 3x’s volume of pot then ph tail end of runoff?
Really appreciate your time today @Low

2 Likes

So, with flushing for soil pH I using dechlorinated tap because my water is around 7pH. When flushing for a lock out I use distilled or RO. I have used an aquarium dechlorinating product-but currently use a hydroponic product. If you use just RO it won’t change your soil pH very much, if at all. But it will drop your PPMs. When flushing I do it rapidly, so I’m not drowning them for too long. Monitor your ph and PPMs every couple of gallons until you are in range. I stopped using individual gallons and started filling 5 gallon buckets, using tap and using the chemical to kill chlorine. I made the switch because I was ordering 30-50 gallons of distilled a week. Anyway I use a small battery powered transfer pump to water from the 5 gallon bucket, and I suck up as I’m going with a shop vac. Just have to be careful with exposing too many roots on top, if you do, just top dress with soil later. Fox farm nutrients are based on TAP water so if you are using RO you should use calmag every time to compensate for the lack or minerals. I use 5ML + the feed schedule at 50-75% strength during flower. Haven’t used just epsom in place of calmag. I THINK you need over 200 ppm to get an accurate reading.
The amount of salt or feed (PPMs) is kind of open to interpretation, meaning you should be “watching” your plants consume. Mid flower you can safely ease up to 2000 ppm.

2 Likes

You can kind of see the battery transfer pump here. I just flushed these for ph, yesterday I think.

1 Like

Thanks! I use one of those transfer pumps as well. I was wondering about refilling the pot with soil. I am using FFOF, let’s assume I’ll be adding more in, should I count that as a feeding because of the existing nutes? My tap water is awful, comes out at like 400ppm, tastes more like chemical then water. I’d love to use it though, even at 0.30cents a gallon Buying water is a bit spendy. Think I’ll look into treating my tap water, maybe it’s cheaper over all. I’m off to flush, I’ll post how it goes.

1 Like

I would top with perlite, but if all you have on hand is the ffof do it before your next plain water feeding :v:t3:My tap water is over 500ppm, and I def wouldn’t drink it. LOL.

1 Like

Awesome! @Low you r the business! Thanks

2 Likes

No problem at all! :v:t3: Btw .30 cents a gallon??? I was paying 1.50 or so per gallon. LOL

1 Like

I pay 0.30 cents a gallon for primo brand RO water from the filling station at Walmart. I use the 5 gallon jugs and fill my own.
Distilled is 0.80 cents a gallon at Walmart. 1.50 a gallon? Thats robbery right there!

1 Like

So after nearly 70 gallons flush of water, through 4 plants, I’m getting low 5’s for runoff ph again. It seems I will need to amend my soil with some lime. What kind of lime should I get? Dolomite, Garden, fast acting, or something else?
@low @MrPeat what would you suggest?

1 Like

This is the stuff I ended up using because it’s available all over.

Someone recommended crushing prior to applying. I didn’t know to do that. Used 5 tsp in 7 gal pots. Took a few waterings but it works.

Don’t get any liquid stuff.

I also ordered this but needed something sooner so I used the one :point_up: Pictured above

1 Like

@Low So, about 3/4 tsp per gallon of medium. Scratched into the surface of the soil yeah? Should I just water or can I feed on top of that?

1 Like

Well it’s been maybe, 2 weeks? My ph is 6.5-6.7 depending on the pot. Maybe go a half tsp and see what it looks like in a few waterings? Ideally 6.3-6.5 end result.

You mix it into the top of your soil and water it in. Just as you said :+1: if it’s time for you to feed it won’t hurt anything.

1 Like

Many thanks @Low

1 Like

Anytime!

Feeding time again! I will be adding a post today sharing the record keeping I’ve been doing, my flushing experience and the current state of my grow. Cmon 11:45am (that’s when my plants wake up in the morning.