If Dogs Were Middle-Aged Men...Pt 2

Thanks for the tip @Tylan. Any idea of the theory behind the Hydrogen Peroxide? I have never added it myself. What does it do? TIA :sunny:

3 Likes

I posted this on another thread so forgive the copy paste but this explains good what the peroxide does. I personally did the shot glass only method with peroxide and changed the water as necessary every 48 hours. None of my seeds sank I let them float the entire time until I saw a taproot. One took 52 hours so patience pays off.

Recent scientific studies back up the effectiveness of chemically scarifying seeds by soaking them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Hydrogen peroxide is thought to increase germination rates by breaking down the seed coat, thus allowing the seed to take in more oxygen. In a study reported in the journal “HortScience,” aged corn seeds (Zea mays L.) treated with a solution of 15 percent hydrogen peroxide germinated at a significantly greater percentage (nearly 95 percent) than seeds treated with aerated water but no hydrogen peroxide (67 percent germination rate). In addition, oxygen consumption rates of seeds soaked for 24 hours in the hydrogen peroxide solution were approximately twice as high as seeds soaked in aerated water for the same time.

Help Your Seeds Breathe
It’s easy to improve your at-home germination rates by using hydrogen peroxide in your pre-planting routine. Simply add 1 ounce of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide to 1 pint of water; choose one of the following three methods. One, soak your seeds for 18 to 24 hours, rinse and plant. Two, place your seeds on a length of paper towels, use a mister filled with the hydrogen peroxide-water solution to thoroughly dampen (but not soak) the towels and the seeds, then roll up the towels loosely or simply fold them over so that all sides of the seeds are in contact with moist paper towel. Mist them lightly each day (or when the towel dries out) and plant them when sprouts emerge. Three, just rinse your seeds with the solution, then plant.

6 Likes

I have a couple photo seeds I would like to grow, but my grow area is not free of all light…I am thinking on the problem. I don’t know what to grow next…so many choices

3 Likes

I’m considering using a shade cloth over my greenhouse :thinking: if that’s an option for you.

2 Likes

I thought about a movers blanet or thick painters cloth

1 Like

Try putting a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in with the water when you soak. Supposed to increase sprouting.

4 Likes

LOL @Myfriendis410…hey are you spying on me??? I was just now - right this very moment - making my weekly grocery list and I was racking my brain because I knew I was forgetting something…HYDRO PEROX!! Thanks.

Yuuup think I am going to try this…

6 Likes

Just for grins and snorts I’m going to try that out with some seeds from the Widows. I’m not planning on growing them but a cheap way to experiment :grimacing:

5 Likes

…Sooooooo here is my day yesterday…

• holding candle-light vigil at hubby’s bedside who appears to be on his last days of life (Umm, he has a cold…but, well…men.)

• dealing with a sick pregnant daughter

• freezing rain and cold - BLOODY cold weather yesterday

• and having to make about 4 stops at grocery stores yesterday (hubby usually helps out with the grocery shopping, but he is, after all dying)

*flushing our salt laden water conditioning system (cuz the flush pipe froze so water tasted like liquid salt.)

*insulated flush pipe so I don’t have to listen to everyone whining at me because they could either
a) taste massive amounts of salt or,
b) when I bypassed the system (cuz I was tired of the whining about salt), they could smell the chlorine and taste the rank street water

• and of course, dinner for 6 people wanting or needing 6 different things.

…I think I have all the things I need to begin grow number 2. Yay me.

@SmoknGranny my lame excuse at yesterday :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Its a womans world. I swear they would all end their lives if it wasn’t for me.

Edited to add @FreakyDeekie

7 Likes

Rofl I so hate to admit it but I also so fit that stereotype. But in my defense I cook, clean, laundry, everything a stereotypical wife would do so when I’m sick I take full on advantage :stuck_out_tongue: My wife and I always joke about how our roles are reversed when it comes to housekeeping.

Btw, hope you don’t mind a man following along on your grow :wink: You keep me entertained!

5 Likes

:rofl: had to change Dependos after reading about your day! Tears :sob: are still running down my face as I envision your life right now. I hope today goes a little better.

3 Likes

Only if you dress in drag :rofl:. Sorry. Did I really type that? :joy:.

4 Likes

It’s the same for my household we both cook clean laundry I’m probably a bigger neat freak than my wife is. But neither one of us have time to be sick I was raised that u can feel like donkey a$$ and stay at home and make nothing or get uo and go to work. It’s only 8 hrs and your gonna feel like poop anyways might as well go make money

4 Likes

Hahaha, true story: after my aunt passed away we were cleaning out her apartment (my uncle passed away a few years before her) and we came across some really large women’s shoes (he was mens size 13) and said nooooooo way that can’t be. Then we came across a letter he wrote to her thanking her for letting him ‘be him’ by dressing up in women’s clothing. omg our jaws dropped!

4 Likes

Where were you and @Tylan when I needed a good husband? You two are awesome :clap:t2:

3 Likes

If you ever seen my wife’s cooking you’d learn to cook too :rofl:

she once microwaved chicken nuggets for 12 minutes because it said to bake them for 12 minutes. Hockey Pucks anyone? LMAO.

7 Likes

It was our generation @SmoknGranny we didn’t have a choice as more women took to careers

4 Likes

My dad was a do-it-all guy and a better cook than my mom. My brother was the same way. :grimacing:

1 Like

HAHAHA to EACH and every one of you!

@Tylan…I have been married 5 times, men following me is a lifelong event (lol jking, well kinda) follow away!

@Sirsmokes you know, hubby usually pushes through whatever illness and works (he is working today as a matter of fact, fever and all…infecting his employees who will, in turn call in sick and he will complain about them calling in sick, missing work. I remind him he started the process) he stayed home yesterday which made me think, this time he might really BE sick and I got out my vigil candles and rosary beads.

Thanks for the comic relief…:slight_smile:

5 Likes

@SmoknGranny my father was WORTHLESS in the handy man category. My mother did all the little repairs around the house.

She used to cringe (literally and figuratively) when he would take on projects around the house since she knew that would usually result in and even more effed up issue which would require a real repairman. My dad knew how to make eggs and bacon.

When I was a little girl, my mother had to take a part time job ( she was a stay-at-home mom, but finances dictated a change of career for her for about a year) She worked at a grocery store as a cashier and worked evenings. I got so sick of eggs and bacon I didn’t eat them again for like 20 years.

I remember begging her to stop working cuz I wanted “mom’s” cooking lol.

After a year, all was right with the world again and she returned to her rightful place of running the household.

3 Likes