Idk what to do :(

Hi all, this is my first time growing, I am trying it in a Aerogarden as I am limited on space. I will try to give as much info as I can -

Seeds used - Diesel Automatic - Autoflower from SeedSupreme (Plant on right) , OG Kush Auto from SeedSupreme (Plant on left)
Days since planted - About 4 - 5 weeks since sprout
Light Cycle - 24 hours
Pump Cycle - Currently 20 min on 40 min off

I had a small issue with what appeared to be mold in the water tank on the aero garden that I noticed at around week 2, the plants where about 4 inches tall, I took the Aerogarden apart and fully cleaned it with hot water and a bleach solution (let it cycle through the pump as well) then rinsed with clean water 4 or 5 times also letting it run through the pump (used spring water for this), after that the plants seemed alot happier and where growing nicely, I had a issue about 2 weeks ago with aphids so I bought the Bergmans 5ml kit and used the bugblaster about 4 days ago (dilluted in a spray bottle), the OG Kush has stayed smaller, but the Diesel was bushing out alot and the leaves where still starting to get discolored like they where when it had the mold issue in the water, just not as quickly or nearly as much. I feel like they are doing okay, but I also know there is still an issue. The roots don’t look mushy and I don’t think I have full on root rot, but there is white clumps on the roots in some spots, the plants look like they are over/under watered, but I have tried both slowing the amount of time the pump runs and also increasing it with a few days in between and no real change to the droopyness, I want to try and use the mold protector to see if it will help with the current issue, but I am not sure if I should be misting it on the plants or if it should be applied differently for a hydro setup like this. I did top the Diesel, but not the OG Kush.
These pics are from today (6/23)

This is what it looked like before its latest trimming and removal of wilted/diseased looking leafs (6/21)

This is a picture I pulled from my cameras from 6/16 when it began flowering for comparison -

2 Likes

@ThatOneGuy…suggest you fill out a grow list to better help us understand the growing conditions. Btw, great pics for the most part…that really helps.

Others will be posting soon. Helpful people will explain your wilted plants and white spotted roots.

2 Likes

@TDubWilly @Myfriendis410 run hydro they may help

5 Likes

@Bogleg might be able to help also

3 Likes

Sorry, new here so excuse my newbieness, I haven’t really done anything that I would put on a grow list, I am using the aerogarden nutrients on a 10 day cycle, misting the plants with spring water every few days, I have not checked ph or anything like that I have pretty much set them in and let them do their thing aside from trimming here and there to make sure they had adequate light to the insides, and kept a small fan blowing on them. Researching/implementing fixes to issues as they arise. Kind’ve been learning as I go, for lights it is just the AeroGarden Bounty Elite and the LED strips which I believe are 6000k

2 Likes

What is in your nutrient solution, what is the temperature, both ambient and liquid, PH, TDS, lights used etc?

Plants look like they need oxygen or are suffering from root rot. Are you running an air stone?

5 Likes

@ThatOneGuy

Growing is like learning to roller skate. A lot of time will be spent going slowly and learning what NOT to do. The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.
Lots of good helpful folks here.

4 Likes

I am not using an airstone facepalm I am on my way to get one now, nutrient solution is AeroGarden liquid plant food, 4% Nitrogen, 3% Phosphate, 6% Potash, 1% Calcium, .5% Magnesium, ambient temp is 70.4 degrees, water temp is 69.6 degrees, ph unsure, not sure what TDS is, lights are the aerogarden bounty elite lights and the led strips i believe are 6k. I did explain in my post there was an issue with the water reservoir and possible mold at the beginning stages, the roots did develop a small bit of root rot from that I believe, but from appearance it looks like since then the bulk/majority of the roots appear to have recovered as they are not smelly/slimy/twisted/mushy etc except the small portions shown in the images by the white clumps. I also have Foxfarm big bloom liquid plant food on the way

3 Likes

I would suggest a solution change and disinfect. The best is peroxide. You can get a cheap pump sprayer at H Depot and use straight 3% on your roots and everything. I would be running something like Hydroguard too. TDS stands for temporary dissolved solids. (PPM)

3 Likes

I thought is was “Total”, learn something new everyday!

4 Likes

this is correct…

3 Likes

Actually it’s temporary but we use total interchangeably. The difference being that solids can be precipitated out of solution. The test is to boil and test before and after. That gives you temporary AND total.

Typically to determine water quality.

2 Likes

Not meaning to be anal about it…

From independent source (plus I have been using this term for over forty years):
" TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids , what this means in real terms is that a TDS meter will measure all negative (anions) and positively charged ions (cations) that are present in water. These ions may include Calcium, Sodium, Magnesium, Phosphate, Nitrate and Silicate to name but a few.

5 Likes

I guess it depends on the industry. Water engineers and water quality guys use the temporary. Effectively it’s meaningless to us. Be cautious though of the TDS meters as they do not read everything. Sugar for example vanishes like it was never introduced.

After running hydro I have a new appreciation for the difference between “total” and “temporary”.

I just did a Google and they came up with “dissolved” versus “suspended” which makes sense although the terminology has changed since the '70’s. You are correct @merlin44: good catch.

1 Like

Thank you for all of the help! Currently doing everything suggested and got ph test kit will post results thank you again!

1 Like

PH is 5.8-6, Alkalinity is 0, Hardness is 75 (soft), Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 0

1 Like

@ThatOneGuy…you say “got a ph test kit”

Please tell us you got a PH n PPM Meter set. swimming pool test kits are worthless. as are the soil probe meters. Online set are $20 …critical to a healthy harvest.

3 Likes

I got a fish tank ph kit as it was quickly available, to at least test the base ph. I plan on ordering this for the next run -

I did take the advice above, I replaced the water in the unit, my foxfarm big bloom had arrived also, so i used that for nutrients, did the 3% peroxide on the roots/stem, I think it is doing better for only being 2 days since that was done, I know this harvest won’t be great, just trying to keep her going through the entirety of it and then will take what I have learned from this one and apply it to the next one that will start immediately after harvesting this one.
Updated pics -

1 Like

That’s a good attitude to have!

Can you start some more now to get ready?

I could, but I like to start them in the aerogarden and not move them and I want to scrub the aerogarden down really good once this batch is done to ensure it is completely sanitary