Ideal watts per square ft?

Hey everyone what would you say is the best watts per square fr? Using mh for veg and hps for flower
Thanx in advance happy growing

You need at least 35w per square feet… But more light is not a problem…

2 Likes

@Saffa

Ideal is 50watts psf.

4 Likes

Geuss im making a trip to the hydro store :grin: Im sitting at 25w per sq ft

1 Like

Thanx @M4ur @Rugar89 i asked google too :smile:

1 Like

You also have to pay attention to the footprint of the light depending on the size of your tent. You don’t want 60watt psf in the middle, and 30watt psf on the edges. You want even coverage.

1 Like

@Saffa the 30-50 watts per sq foot is important but the footprint of the light on your plants is just as important. Just because you have 25 watts per sq foot doesn’t mean it is insufficient. Are you going to cover every square foot of your tent with plants?

4 Likes

35w is fine for Veg but during flower 50-55w is standard practice

5 Likes

Yea im planing on foing a scrog each time ive got a 5x10 tent and 2 medium size adjustawing shades im wondering if i need a couple more? Or have 2 600w on the outside and a 1000w watt in themiddle

I know what u mean @Rugar89 i want it nice and even those adjustawing shades with the light spreader attached seen to give a nice even footprint and it doest get very hot

1 Like

@Donaldj @M4ur

Yep @Donaldj… Welcome to my life! :slight_smile:

lol I am pushing my footprint this round but if you are still learning the plants themselves a lighting short fall can be a major handicap

Thanx @Donaldj i cant believe i didnt look into this earlier do you think 1000w in the middle of 2 x 600ws would work? Or end up uneven

1 Like

you still always want room to move and for fans etc. running 3 600w would probly be adequate

2 Likes