IceDragon’s Grow Log

OK, I am real nervous about posting this on a formal but here goes nothing. Here is the short version, two years ago I grew a couple of bag seeds outside in two regular pot. I watered them with tap water when the soil was dry and I took 6 months for them to flower. Once they started budding I cut them down and people loved them. So this year I decided to invest in building my own Grow Room and also some equipment. I also decide to get some seed from Ilovegrowingmarijuana.com seed bank all to see if I could speed up the process and increase my yield. I purchased the Heavy hitter pack and I WAS hoping that I would be able to get everything grown and done in 12weeks but that is not the case, oo well. I am really learning as I go and from everything I have read, I know everyone does things that work for them but it doesn’t work for everyone. I converted and old cold cellar into a grow room. The following will tell you everything I am working with from the top down;

Room Dimensions = 36"L x 70"W x 70"H
Lighting = King Plus 1200w LED Grow Light Full Spectrum (both switches ON)
Lighting Height = 42" (Currently)
Lighting Timer = VIVOSUN 7 Day Programmable Digital Timer
Light/Dark Time = 18/6 (Started early seeding stage)
Outside Air Intake = VIVOSUN Air 4 Inch 203 CFM Inline Fan (On Medium setting)
Walls are lined with = (Outer) Foam Board,
(Middle) 6MIL Black plastic
(Inner) VIVOSUN 6 Mil Mylar Film
Plants = Blue Dream, Gorilla Glue, MK-Ultra
Medium = Foxfarm Happy Frog Soil
Pots = VIVOSUN 5 Gallon Grow Bags Heavy Duty
Humidifier = Equate Invisible Cool Mist Humidifier
2 Fans = Mainstays 6" Clip Personal Fan With 2 Speeds (diagonally opposite corners, circulation) Indoor Thermometer = AcuRite Thermohygrometer with Humidity Gauge

Water and Nutrients
Water = Distilled 1cup every other day (will increase to 2cups when they get bigger)
(Done in-between watering)
Fox Farm = Big Bloom - 4tbsp/1gl (3tbsp each lady)
Grow Big - 3tsp/1gl (3tbsp each lady)
Tiger Bloom - 3tsp/1gl (3tbsp each lady)

I have three ladies that have been in veg state for 3 weeks and they have not grown an inch. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I am going to be sending pictures but I just wanted to let you know what I am working with. I hope some is will to give me more knowledge and advise to help the ladies grow faster and happier. Thanks in advance

Couple of comments:

You don’t need to feed nutrients when in Happy Frog for at least 4 weeks (assuming normal growth) from your last transplant. They may be stalled due to over-feeding.

The light you have isn’t going to veg or flower 3 plants. You should consider upgrading your lighting to something built by HLG, Gravata, or some of the latest Spider Farmer models.

4 Likes

Wow, i thought after four weeks from last transplant they would have grown some. I definitely don’t know that my light would not benefit all three. I have not of those lights but i will definitely look them up. Thank you for the quick response.

1 Like

@IceDragon Midwestguy is absolutely right.

We have a 4’x4’ tent with 6 GDP auto’s just turning 11 weeks old tomorrow since we put them in soil. Tried 3 different lights from Amazon at first and it was ok for seedlings but we bought the HLG 600R and it’s bright as the sun and the girls loved it and started reaching for it everyday.

Using Vivio 5 gallon fabric pots and FF Ocean forest soil mixed with 30% perlite. We even opted to put a small layer of stone in the bottom to help ensure they weren’t sitting in water. Do not give them nutrients until they are ready!! We tried following the FF trio schedule for soil and it started to burn our young plants.

This is our first grow and learned a lot. Not a pro yet but here are some tips I can share that may help you.

1. Get good PH and TDS/EC meters and watch what goes in as well as what comes out! When the ppm in the runoff get low then you start with the nutes but you have a ways to go before you need them.

2. Get a good light it does make a big difference. Touch base with @dbrn32 he is the lighting expert.

3. Regulate your temp & RH and do your best to stay in the zone on the VPD chart during each stage of growth.

4. Let the pots dry out and get a feel for their weight when you pick them up. Then water them and get a feel for that as well. Rather then a regimented schedule we let the plants tell us when they were hungry. You will get a feel for when they need water and how much.

It also sounds like the light you have may be too high for 3 weeks old. We try to keep top of our plants 3-5 degrees cooler then tent temp and adjust the light accordingly.

Welcome to the site you will find everyone here is helpful.

7 Likes

Nice right up @Wildfire50210! Love the info.

3 Likes

Before I weigh in I’d like to see pictures of the plants in white light and fill this out. Please be detailed: for example list the type of instrument used to measure PH and TDS not just ‘meter’ lol.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks brother. Just trying to give back to the community in appreciation for all the support we received. Happy growing. :grin:

3 Likes

I want to thank everyone for their replies, I also want to show you some pictures and give everyone an update. These ladies have been growing for a little of 7 weeks (seed to current height), ya I know slow. I am thinking along the lines of playing out the current grow (even if it will takes forever) and waiting until I can save more money to buy a better light, heat and moisture control (humidifier). I know I am still learning but I was hoping that I would have a a good yield by now. Again thanks for the replies;

1 Like

I will get that to you asap, Thank you

Whew… 7 weeks? Yea they need a little shove along.

Next watering, gon up that intake to two cups. U see where uve been pouring close to the stem? Try to keep that closest inch dry. Pour in slow circles going away from the stem. Out towards the pot edges. U want to trick those roots to grow outwards n fill up that pot.

Another thing. Ur pouring straight nutrients into the dirt?!?! Sweet baby jesus… they are probably due for a meal. Pouring straight like that is probably wrecking ur rootzone. Try this.

Mix ur nutrients into your water. Shake very well. Then test the pH of that solution before pouring (highly recommend testing the TDS {or ppms} as well). Make sure its in proper range (6.3-6.8 for soil) before pouring. May need a little pH up to get it right. Then pour as described above. Honestly Id do that today.

Might wanna check the pH and TDS of the runoff as well. Hopefully its in range and the ppms arent SKYHIGH.

Meters only! Dont cheap out and buy those lowes homedepot ph sticks and strips. Get on Amazon. Apera 20PH costs about $40-50 but itll NEXT LEVEL your grow. I promise. U can cheapie the TDS meter. Vivosun makes one for $10. Had it 3 years now lol. Get these tools!

Finally that light… im not sure what the recommendations say about height. But they look sturdy enough to be closer then 42… try 36 or so. If they dont get mad try 30 a few days later. Dont push it too hard to fast and checkup on them.

1 Like

Nice set up. Once you get going the space should work great. I don’t know if they stalled out for some reason or just stubborn. I grew some jack herer that took for ever to get started. They hung out and one day they took off. Ended up with some really nice plants.
You will definitely want to at least double (more like 3x) the amount of light during flower. I have a king 600 that cranks out 125w. I use it over seedlings and early veg. It is a nice like and does a good job in veg. I could see adding 2 - HLG 260 rspecs with the king in the center.
This plant was put under a HLG 260 rspec when flipped to flower. I believe it is very happy

The dimensions of your space is almost exactly the size of a “closet” I just started. I know I will want at least 3x 260’s . Possibly 4 if I go the XL route. I have time to decide.

1 Like

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)

1. Blue Dream 2. Gorilla Glue 3. MK Ultra / ILovegrowingmarijuana.com Seed bank
    -Age of plant
    7 1/2 weeks from Germination to today
    -Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  2. Foxfarm Happy Frog Soil
    -Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots
  3. Pots -Vivosun 5gallon heavy duty grow bags
    -PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  4. Distilled Water (PH 7.13 / TDS 45)
    -PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  5. FoxFarm all mixed in 1gl of distilled water
    A. GrowBig TDS 1907
    B. TigerBloom TDS 1042
    C. BigBloom TDS 552
    -Method used to measure PH and TDS
  6. Vivosun PH / TDS & EC Meter
    -Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
  7. Indoor Room Dimensions = 36"L x 70"W x 70"H
    -Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other
  8. LED = KingLED 1200W
    -Actual wattage draw of lights
  9. 232w
    -Current Light Schedule
  10. Light Cycle 18/6 for last 5 1/2 weeks
    -Temps; Day, Night
    D=77 N=70
    -Humidity; Day, Night
    D =75 N= 68
    -Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  11. Outside Air Intake = VIVOSUN Air 4 Inch 203 CFM Inline Fan (On Medium setting)
    -AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  12. Humidifer, plus two Mainstays 6" Clip Personal Fan for circulation
    -Co2; Yes, No
  13. NO
1 Like

My bad man. Shoulda waitd for the ticket lol. U got the mixing nutes down pat.

1 Like

Photos under white Light
Group Photos;

Blue Dream;

Gorilla Glue;

MK Ultra;

1 Like

@IceDragon whenever you don’t see anything growth above ground , it’s because a whole lot of growing is going beneath the dirt you cannot see , but in 7 days you’ll notice a difference . Just never think giving more water or nutrients will help it won’t, less is more with cannabis in some strains .

4 Likes

Ya, I am going to be order a better light this weekend

Can you explain your TDS numbers give for each nutrient. Are they cumulative as you add each?
I started with fox farm trio. Tiger bloom is added when you flip to 12 four / flower. As long as they are in veg you stick with week 4. With youngsters like yours, I would think TDS/PPM of around 1000 to 1200 would be about right.
They look normal and healthy to me. Maybe slightly stretched out but bringing the light down and burying a little deeper when transplanting will take care of it.
Someone will eventually mention this so I might as well. It is how I found this out. You do not need to pH distilled water. If you do the reading is unreliable. The water / solution needs around 100ppm in order to get an accurate pH reading. It’s pH is derived from what you add to it.

3 Likes

That is one of my favorite things to do. If you are considering HLG DUDE discount code saves you 10%. If you have a wire stripper the kits are easy to assemble and will save you a few bucks.

2 Likes

These are the test numbers I receive when I measure them in the one gallon jug.

FoxFarm all mixed in 1gl of distilled water
A. GrowBig TDS 1907
B. TigerBloom TDS 1042
C. BigBloom TDS 552

1 gallon of each with individual readings.
Grow big is a heavy hitter.

1 Like