Ice bath and darkness period

This will be my first harvest and I’m going with the ice bath and 48 hr darkness period. After 24hrs of darkness and ice (62* temps at the canopy), the buds seemed to have lost 1/3 of it’s size. I thought they were firm before but now they are stones. Is this what they do? Constrict? I have definitely noticed increased frosting as I’ve read will happen. I’ve read through nearly all harvest posts but can’t recall one that noted the constriction of buds.

Although it does make sense (as us gentlemen experience some shrinkage in colder temps), I haven’t read anywhere here that noted this as a result of darkness and icing.

6 Likes

An example before and after:

3 Likes

Love the shrinkage remark up above. From an old hand bag to a walnut shell :joy:

5 Likes

It’s the only comparison I could think of that made sense to me. They’ve packed up so densely that I could probably throw a bud through a piece of drywall. Just haven’t read anywhere that ice baths did this.

3 Likes

@Bogleg

Thank you!

So do you think the trichomes actually increased, or that it APPEARS they’ve increased because the flower cluster shrunk, thereby increasing bud density across the available surface area?

Yes, this is a stoner question. And I am stoned. :smiley:

5 Likes

Well, sh!t. Now I am unsure, lol.

1 Like

As I read this as I am interested in the Ice process…Did it work…any suggestions. Do you drill or slice stem? Do you then pack in Ice? Do you flush before you start the process?
Some 40+ yrs ago I grew in Midwest and never harvested until after the second cold snap.First one is a freeze …maybe for 1-2 nights …then Indian Summer…then after second freeze …start the harvest. Didn’t know what a trichome was. Just that was my go to situation for harvest. Does anybody you know have a pic?

I drilled that plants stalk, I didn’t notice any difference in that. The ice caused the plant to constrict and because super dense. I didn’t really notice more trichome production, just the buds became rocks. It’s basically just placing ice on top of your soil for a few days during the dark period. Some even do it for weeks leading up to harvest.

3 Likes

@BobbyDigital re: the ice post preharvest during darkness - how about no ice - flush then darkness @ 50°F the current temps are in mid 70’s in the tent. I was thinking of putting plant inside garage it’s like 50°F or 25° difference, while in the dark. I’m in MN and already seen a tiny bit of snow so I have free chiller space if it’ll help - how exactly do you mean bud got hard like a rock. Less shrinkage in curing or anything else observed?

That should work well too. Maybe better as the whole plant gets the hint instead of just the root zone. They got harder by constricting in on themselves. Kinda like we do when we get cold and wrap our arms around ourselves to try and preserve heat.

2 Likes

Did it cure any different in any way? Faster?

Not sure. Have done it to all my plants so I don’t have a reference point.

1 Like