I was thinking of using a grow light to warm up part of my house

I have a Quantum Board led light in a walk in closet… I was hoping that it would heat up my house this winter, but it does not put out very much heat… I can leave the closet door open, or partially open… So, I was thinking of putting that light in a tent, and getting another light for the closet, one that runs hotter, and works really good for growing good hard nugs too, but does not take too much electricity to run 18 or 20 hours a day… Is this a crazy idea? Any suggestions on a light to buy to do this with for area about 2’ x 3’ or maybe 3’ x 3’ or so? Maybe spend about or around $200 or less…? Any ideas???

Running electricity to produce light with heat as a byproduct is not an efficient use of energy.
You may be better off spending the $ on better insulation, double pane windows, circulator fans, etc.

If you need to be smart about money increasing internal house temp feel free to message me all the details on your house Id be glad to help you.

Source: I am a certified architectural and mechanical draftsman in Ca.

Edit
If you are going to be running the light anyways and have the heat ducted outside or something, redirecting it inside the house through filters woyld help offset energy cost, but by how much is a very deep question.

Edit 2
Well reading comprehension skills help…lol.
I realize now you are asking for a hot running light!!
Any old style will work wonders. The newer tech, especially LEDs, hardly generate heat comparatively.

Have you considered the 250w warming lamps for baby chicks?? It may sound odd but I used those to heat my cabin one winter before it had insulation and such :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A 600 watt HID with air cooled hood can be bought with fan and duct for a little over $200. One end of hood left open for intake and the exhaust duct routed to where you want the heat would do the trick. It’ll pull both heat from the light and from the room and exhaust it where you need it. But I agree on better use of the money on home improvement. I upgraded our attic insulation by more than double what it was and our electric bill is rarely over $100 even in hottest weather. Which is a considerable improvement. It paid for itself in less than 2 years.

4 Likes

Thanks @HighDesertFarmer, Poor writing on my part!!! I need to get another grow light so I can have plants in veg. mode in that closet, getting ready for flower tent, where I will put the Q.B. led… Was gonna get another smaller Q.B. led, but then thought, “why not get something that creates more heat and is cheaper, and also grows pot really good. Maybe put a box fan behind the plants in the closet, and blow the hot air into the rest of the house, while keeping the plants cool enough?” That is what I was thinking, and was wondering, if that would work? Thanks for the reply too @DoobieNoobie! Don’t HID’s use a lot of electricity though? I don’t need a.c. in summer, but I sure do need to pay for heating in winter, so why not use the heat from the new light to heat up part of the house? And the q.b. I have does create a little bit of heat too, but not much really…

2 Likes

What does HID stand for again? I know or think that CMH, stands for Ceramic Metal Halide or something like that… I hear those grow good buds too…, and are priced reasonably…? Not sure how much electricity CMH’s use though?

Oh, the set up needs to be pretty quite too, as the closet is next to my bedroom… thanks for the advice!!!

1 Like

Hid is high intensity discharge

1 Like

Hid will use exactly what it says. But the difference is efficiency. 600 true watts of led is mostly put into light. Versus hid 600 watts is probably more like 450 watts of light and the other 150 is wasted as heat. That’s where led is superior because there is less wasted energy.

And HID is MH or HPS bulbs

Edit to say those aren’t true numbers just using them as an example.

1 Like

Hmmmm, Ok. I see! Thanks again @HighDesertFarmer, and @DoobieNoobie!!! But if I can push the heat created out of the closet, and into where I need the rooms heated, then would it be a good idea? Or would I be better off just getting another Q.B. LED, that creates very little heat, and just heat the house the regular way? People do grow really good hard nugs with HID’s!!! I’ve seen the pics of them!!! And CMH’s too, I think? And of course Q.B. LED’s too!!! I know my light I have now works good!!! lol Does not use too much elec., they say too… Have not had it too long yet… Thanks!!!

Well the downside to spending the money on it is you most likely won’t want that heat in the summer time. That’s my major issue with that type of lighting. But it’s really all up to you. I don’t think it would add as much heat as you want. Maybe enough for one room depending on how cold it gets there. But even that is probably optimistic. And it will also be moving that humidity through your house. All are things you need to take into consideration.

1 Like

No, would not want that heat in the summer here most of the time… That is true!!! Hmmmmm. I have heard the HID’s create a lot of heat… which would be good for winter! But have also heard that they use a lot of elec… Thanks again @DoobieNoobie!!!

Maybe I should just stick with the Q.B.'s…? They do seem to work good!!!

1 Like

I personally would stick with the QB just because they are proven and won’t alter your temps by much during the summer. Yes you still have to pay heating costs but you don’t have to worry about cooling it off later down the road. Plus life expectancy on led is way better than hid.

1 Like

Yea, Maybe ur right @DoobieNoobie… Did not know that the Q.B.'s last longer too…, but sure does make sense… Thanks!!!

1 Like

My gut feeling to this post is to spend the cash on double pane windows and better insulation on your building to trap the heat or cool that is already there. Then you can just stick with a good grow light! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use a 315w cmh grow light in my tent for flower and it grows great weed and I exhaust it into my bedroom during winter and have never had to turn heat on

2 Likes

Thanks @HornHead!!! I figured there must be a bunch of people that do that in winter. U like the cmh lights then? Grows good hard nugs for ya? Does it run hot? I think I heard they run a little cooler than hid’s…? Does it use a lot of electricity?

Say, @HornHead, @HighDesertFarmer, @DoobieNoobie, and everyone else, I was also wondering what brand of tents people have? And if it seems like a good one, or has flaws…??? I need to get a tent too. Thanks!

I’m lucky enough to have a room. Well I had a recess that had 3 walls I just need to build the front wall and add a door when I get paid next. But I spent most my youth working on construction sites so that’s in my wheelhouse. I originally looked at grow tents. I liked the gorilla tents but they’re a bit pricey. Several here use the vivosun. But no matter which you choose make sure it has lots of options for bringing air in and out.

1 Like

I use a viviosun.
Looked at tons of reviews etc before grabbing mine.

VIVOSUN 36"x36"x72" Mylar… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXYMKIO?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I got it on super sale during off season though.
Very durable they use like 600D canvas.

1 Like

Buy or build a good light setup. I can provide no input in that, but in regards to trying to keep your place warmer I can for sure speak to that.

The light is a waste. A walmart space heater would be better. But even better than that is addressing the root cause for the cold inside.

For me drafts was a big one. Checked and started to fix all drafts around every door, every electrical outlet and every window. All of them had air leaking. I even redid some of my bedroom trim as there was far to much air moving in / out for my liking.

Next replaced my 40+ year old aluminum framed single pane glass with vinyl and double paned coated glass.

So far night and day difference going thru a hot summer. And I fully expect to stay toasty this winter.

3 Likes

A 315w cmh grow lights use just as stated, 315w

1 Like

In the winter, I crack the door to my grow room to let the heat escape into the rest of the house. Last year, with just blurple lights (650 watts total draw), my grow room really helped keep the house warm. This year, I moved to half qb & half blurple, so temps aren’t nearly as high.

For the cheapness factor, from price of light to price to run it, if you want a light to grow in a 2x3 space that will also send some heat to your house, a blurple light that pulls a minimum of 250-300 watts would probably do it. That’s easily doable for under $200.

I really liked my Apollo Horticulture tent. I have since switched to cheaper tents b/c they come in the exact size I need. I wish Apollo made this size tent.

1 Like