"I Thought It Was Supposed To Be Easy To Grow"

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

"had 2 out of 2 Gold Leaf plants growing and 2 out of 7 Northern Lights. Unfortunately one of the Northern Lights plants bit the dust today, and now I have only 1 out of the 7 seeds growing….
I am looking after them the same and thought Northern Lights was supposed to be easy to grow!! Perhaps I should just put them out on the verandah and let nature take its course?

Strain (type, bag seed): NA
Soil in pots, hydroponic, or coco?: yes soil in pots
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?: NA
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: NA
Indoor for now but plan to put outdoor later:
Light system, size?: I leave a 40w light shining on them at night quite close
Temps day, night: - it’s around 18 C to 29 C here in Sydney
Humidity day, night – not too humid yet
Ventilation system (yes/no, size): no
AC, humidifier, de-humidifier?: no
Co2 (yes/no): NA
I have attached photos of the soil I used and the mineral mix.

At the bottom of the pot I put some worm mixture from cleaning out the worm farm recently. Then I added the seed raising mix and a sprinkle of mineral mix.

I have been watering them with R/O water and also worm juice watered down. I may have made them too wet to start with, I’m not sure… but am making sure I keep them moist but not wet.

I have them in the kitchen near the window, and they get the sun in the afternoon.

Do you think they are big enough to put outside yet? My verandah is quite protected. Or do I need to wait until they are too big for the little pot and transplant them into a bigger pot?

I have 3 of each seed left. I am wondering whether to try to grow those as well in case anything happens to these 3….

4 Likes

Sounds like your trying to do toooo much
Sounds like a “hot” mix to me
I would not be doing any fertilizer at this piont in growth
All the nutrients they need for now is already in your soil
Adding all the minerals is only beneficial at certain times in growth and should be measured out in a precise manner and usually the minerals would be added to a soil amendment
I would transplant them into maybe 3-5gallon fabric pots with just straight soil and tap water. And depending on your weather I would get them out in some sunlight and bring em in at night if it is below 70*f
Hope this helps
@Covertgrower
@bob31
@1BigFella
These guys have a lot more experience than I do

5 Likes

@ILGM.Zoe those temperatures outside are suitable for allowing them to stay outside. The humidity needs to be 50% or higher as seedlings, so you could raise the humidity by placing a water bottle over them. No nutrients should be added until the third set of leaves. I know nothing about the soil, and will let @bob31 and @Countryboyjvd1971 weigh in on the soil. Worm tea and castings are a great addition to any soil, but might be have a bit too much of a good thing at first. Happy growing.

2 Likes

What strikes me is their stems are stretchy and weak looking. I would pull back on the water some- give no nutes for right now- and get them more sun/artificial or actual. Also take some soil and build it up in your pots to support the stems. The soil does not have to be moist all the time. I have found letting them dry out between waterings is best. If their leaves begin to droop, or the soil is pretty dry, then give them a drink.

I would wait on planting any more seeds. Wait until you feel good about what they need and don’t need at this stage, and then you will be able to grow the other seeds better.

4 Likes

That soil is not so good for cannabis. You don’t need the fertilizer at all until 3 nodes are showing or around 4 weeks under good light. Just water and only when they need it. 40 watts is too low for them at night. You need good light until dark time. I noticed you didn’t mention pH. pH is critical for seedlings. It needs to be above 6.2 for small plants and ideally around 6.5. growing outside is easier than inside. You have to do a lot of things right inside or you will fail.

2 Likes

Thankyou. I transplanted them today and put them outside. They look happy.

2 Likes

Good move getting them out doors. In a week or to you’ll see them really get their feet, save your others, as long as transplant was gentle and you water correctly they should all make it, I’d recommend a dome and partial shade for the smallest 3 tho, dome and full sun can end with dead seedlings if not careful.

I looks like they need more light to me stems are streaching
I wouldnt feed until i have at least 2-3 sets of sets fan leaves and then i would start slow
You have worm castings on bottom of pots so once roots reach this level they will feed since your using ro water youll need to make sure your suppling all your micro nutrients as well as they grow
If your soil is hot then just ph water your plants till they show signs of needing more

1 Like

I agree with @Powaforce on the smaller seedlings
Glad they are lookin happy
Any questions you have on this journey we are all here to help!

1 Like