I think I'm watering wrong

So I’ve been reading and have noticed people dumping their run off water. Now is this when you water and what fills the catch saucer us to be dumped? Once my flowers hit 12/12 they are using more water and watering is a couple hour process. I water til water just starts to run out, let that sit for an hour then water again same thing but more water comes out and an hour later water again by then the water will stay until the next day. Should I dump the run off once it stops absorbing it back up? Idk I just noticed that I might be screwing up a basic principle. Oh ya ffof some amends

3 Likes

I would not let your pots sit in runoff as you water to runoff to avoid salt buildup and if your pot is sitting in that runoff then your not getting rid of as much salt and excess nutrients as you need to and uptake of this can cause issues if its left sitting in there consistently

8 Likes

So should I water dump wait water dump?

3 Likes

I would use a pot riser/elevator that goes into your drain saucer and then when your pan gets full dump it out and swap out with an empty one. I much prefer my small wet shop vac sucking up the water than swapping trays out

6 Likes

This is what i use. But if your strapped for cash 1 or 2 bricks would accomplish the same thing

6 Likes

These work great for 3 gallon pots, but the collection tray will overflow once you start watering with a full gallon…

8 Likes

Just water them once. You’ll know how much you need to give each one for 10-20% runoff pretty quickly. I use a shop vac to clean up the runoff but you can just pour it out.

6 Likes

What are you growing in? Soil, coco, or something different?
Are you growing organic or useing synthetic nutrients?

1 Like

Soil fox farm trio cal/mag oh down

1 Like

I have a lot of 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars. They are about 2-2.25 inches tall those should work fine in a triangle config. you think? Or shot glasses I guess anything that keeps the run off from seeping in. Ok so when I water sometimes I give cal/mag and big bloom Nute and a tea. Should I give less of each or with each watering concentrate on one nute unless you see an issue then adjust accordingly?

1 Like

Sounds like you should maybe check out jacks 3,2,1 regiment. A lot of growmies in here use it. I just completed my first grow with it and it’s pretty easy feeding. Feed every time you water. Very simplified. You can get a cheap kit of it for $25 on eBay. Best of luck buddy. Great tips, tricks and info in here. Plethora of knowledge. Looking forward to following along

3 Likes

@BigCat420 Indeed. :+1:I grow outdoor, and use 4 bricks under each container. I was using wooden pallets, but bricks allow me more precise moving of the pots to their optimum sunlight exposure. Got the bricks from hime depot. I had to buy 48 bricks,so be prepared to bring a wheelbarrow…

SL out

5 Likes

Those are what I use. Just dont water more than the collection trays can catch at a time lol. I fit 6 in my 2x4 tent. I use between 1.5 and 2 gallons of water for all 6 plants.

4 Likes

I keep a towel under the caddies and a bucket next to it when feeding/watering. The trays are like 12oz and I go heavy runoff lol. Back in coco now so imgonna be doing a lot of towel laundry lol

1 Like

You can also get plant caddies at you local nursery or Lowes or Home Depot.

2 Likes

Yes get rid of that run off and get the pots up off the saucers. You can get all kinds of pot risers and platforms, some with built in drainage systems that you can attach your plastic tubing to. I also use standard dollies if I can squeeze trays underneath.

Im using this for tomatoes right now.

1 Like

I can never empty those trays without spillage :laughing:

2 Likes

Cannabis is not happy with wet feet. Do not let it stand in its own runoff. More over, do not overwater cannabis. The best thing to do is water until it begins to seep out the bottom and let the plant somewhat dry out. Its ok to let the plant wilt gently. This will allow you to know how long you should go between waterings. Keep in mind this plant originates in a semi arid climate and in its natural habitat it can go for weeks without seeing a drop of rain. In Thailand and other Asian countries they plant between the monsoon seasons to avoid the rains.

4 Likes

It can be a hassle lol.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the tips all new stuff to me. I love learning. So if it’s a Nute day for watering but I need cal/mag I just put a small amount of cal/mag the fertilize like I normally would? Like I’m supposed to lol not what I have been doing. I would water with a little big bloom, little buds and blooms then just pH water. So no to that as well. Wow these plants are hopefully going to be much happier than my last which should make me happier

2 Likes