I think I may have a mite problem

I think I have a mite or spider problem, I see little webs in my flowers and leaves. What do you guys think? Plant is also very dry.

1 Like

Spiders aren’t necessarily bad as they eat other bugs and not the plant. They leave webs tho. Do you see any tiny specs on the leaves, bottom and top? A closer pic in better light will help.

Just noticed little dots on web strands. Could be either mites or baby spiders. Like @oldmarine said. CJDBJ and thorough wash at harvest

I use Captain Jack’s Dead Bug. You might want to wash your bud at harvest…

1 Like

I hate those things! Suck the life out of leaves. Battling an infestation right now.

Here are some products growers here have used.

Captain Jack’s dead bug - get the concentrate and dilute.

Diatomaceous earth. Gloves and a mask since it is irritating to lungs and skin.

Ningicide - make a tea of garlic and hot peppers. Strain and spray.

Rubbing Alcohol and water 50:50 mix.

Essential oils - a teaspoon of essential oil, a dollop of Castile soap dilute to a quart sprayer. Oils recommended (do a rotation of different ones) - rosemary, pine, tea tree, citronella, geranium.

Cinnamon tea - 4TBSP in hot water, let sit overnight, strain and dilute to 1 gallon.

Others growers will have more ideas for you.

So far with these stubborn &$(;:(@! I have gone through a bottle of captain Jack’s, a quart of rubbing alcohol and water and ready to start with rosemary mixture.

Best of luck to you and also do a bud wash at harvest!

4 Likes

Gonna have to disagree here, any bug on the plant is a bad thing.

What are you waiting on? Put it out of it’s misery. It will not get better at this point I’m afraid.

For sure.

4 Likes

Unfortunately that plant looks done in!! So sorry :cry:

1 Like

Ya just trying give a little positive vibe.

3 Likes

This is my first grow and first harvest, isn’t it to early to harvest.

1 Like

I don’t believe you are going to get anymore out of that plant. Sorry

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! Plant has had Several issues along the way don’t think you can breathe much life back into it at this point. Don’t get discouraged turn right around and plant more seeds. We have all had a bad day here and there. Good luck moving forward . :+1::v:

4 Likes

Gonna have to disagree with that. @Lacewing can tell you a few things about beneficial insects. I order ladybugs and praying mantis every year for my gardens…

6 Likes

I just picked up some DE, I’m gonna at least try and salvage something, even if all I gain is knowledge from what has happened. Would it be beneficial to trim back some of the leaves?

3 Likes

Can’t hurt to try - best of luck on the salvage op!

I just want to say - BEFORE you start the next grow clean that space top to bottom with a bleach and water or alcohol and water or something to help kill anything that might be lurking in the corners!!
And when done go to the washing machine, strip down and toss everything in there on a HOT water cycle.

DEATH TO ALL MITES!!!

6 Likes

I release 1000 lady bugs each spring. They are $7.95 at the local garden center. I put some in my tent but they were escape artists!

2 Likes

Ok, exceptions granted to certain predators.

2 Likes

Welcome to growing @Got2beme. Sorry to see your problem. Spider mites are difficult (usually impossible) to eliminate. @kellydans and @JaneQP have given you sound advice. Spider mites spread around the garden in the wind and once they are on your plant they multiply extremely fast. Worse than that, they live on both sides of the leaves. When you bring a plant inside from the garden, you spread the problem inside. So never take plants from the grow room to outside and back again. I have tried twice to fumigate my grow room and eventually replaced it as I just couldn’t kill every spider mite. The infestation kept hitting new grows. You can’t see spider mites with the naked eye. You will need a jewellers loupe 30x magnification minimum to be able to see them.

Whilst you have some infestation there, the dry leaves don’t appear to be from the infestation to me (mine have lots of white specks followed by the leaves progressively yellowing and then dying off). Poke your finger into the soil and see how dry the soil is. It should only be dry for the first inch and then becoming more moist after that. I try to let the top inch to two inches dry out and then give the plant a reasonable drink until a small amount starts to run out the bottom / lower parts of a fabric pot. Keep an eye out for fungus gnats. They can wreck your roots and they are attracted to wet soil. That’s the advantage of soaking the soil and letting it dry back on the surface, it deters the gnats. A layer of worm castings on top of the soil also deters gnats.

A final word on the sprays. @JaneQP advised you to wash the plants when you harvest. That involves soaking the plant (or just the trimmed buds) in warm water. There is a post here somewhere about that. You need to read it as it’s not as simple as hosing off the plant (but that will help). When you spray the oil or spirit etc, you have to spray both side of the leaf. You must spray every third day until the infestation is gone. What ever you spray on, you will smoke or ingest later so don’t use toxic sprays. The same goes for taste so if you use herbal remedies, don’t forget to remove all of that scent or your bud will taste off :grinning:

Regards Turtle

3 Likes

Thx Turtle!

2 Likes

That means there was nothing for them to eat! They go where the food is!

NPK Mighty 1 Gallon - spider mites on ebay.

I used the bug bombs last time I had them as nothing else seems to eliminate them and spraying gobs of Capt Jack the scam man on my buds all the time just ain’t as appealing as the bombs three times and they are gone. I did it after harvest and got rid of all the soil they were in. Good luck!

2 Likes

believe it or not i vacum them off my plants. trick is to restrict the vac. so it doesnt rip apart the plants.

1 Like