I taste different flavors in a joint vs a bowl

I’ve got some wedding cake drying in my tent. I’ve never smoked it before, so I picked up an 1/8th at a new rec dispensary that just opened. Just to sorta see how mine compares.

I mostly smoke joints these days, I’ve always liked them the best but it always felt like I was “splurging” back when I was buying it. Back then I would mostly smoke bowls.

I had it in a joint first, and I could kinda see why they called it cake - it’s pretty sweet tasting, but I mostly got earthy. Had some just now in a bowl, and it does taste exactly like a slice of Wedding Cake.

I’ve noticed the same with everything I’ve grown so far. I like some of them more in joints but this one might be a bowl strain for me.

2 Likes

Bongs are the best imo you get a cooler cleaner smoke so you get a more clear picture of the smoke my only problem is i have to many , i get a cannabox every month and Im up to like 8 bongs and 3 fancy bowls( favorite being the Sherlock holmes bowl)

2 Likes

No paper in the bowl to throw the flavor off.

5 Likes

Or maybe I just like a little more butane with my wedding cake. :grinning:

Yeah I guess we all have our own preferences. Bowls get dirty tasting to me pretty quickly. They’re nice when I just want quick a toke or two before bed though.

It was just something I noticed. Kevin Jodrey talks about it too. It probably has something to do with the terpenes that flash off at the different temperatures you’re smoking at. Sorta like adjusting temp while vaping. I gotta get one of those too.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by the whole smell/taste thing. I’m no connoisseur, even after 50+ years. But, I WANT to taste differences.

Really – can we identify all of this? The bong seems like the best way to go – yes, no?

Oh no – another rabbit-hole path? There’s so much to learn…

1 Like

The different terpines in cannabis are largely responsible for taste and smell. Each strain has a unique terpine profile. Thousands of unique terpines exist. Here is a chart of some of the more common ones. Terpines are also responsible for the unique effects of each strain.

So how in the heck do we know what terpenes our plants have?
Found this pretty cool article. BPG Blog

1 Like

Some seed banks (dutch passion) I’ve noticed have started advertising the terpene analysis on their strains. It’s interesting to be able to compare that info to what they say it tastes like. You find some interesting combinations that make sense once you see it but you never would have guessed, type of thing.

When they don’t provide that data you can still take a pretty good guess at what the terps might be by looking at what they say the flavor is like.

That said, circling back to the original point, as these rabbits holes often do; the flavors (and smells) you perceive in a particular strain may vary - based on the way it’s consumed, due to the flash point of the compounds when they become a gas.

I did end up buying a dry vape - Arizer solo 2. Personally I have a different “best way to go” for each strain. And it can also change. I hope that all settles any confusion you had. :rofl:

1 Like

This will be fun to sort of work through and compare. I’m not sure, however, that I’m too concerned about taste as long as it doesn’t task like rocket fuel (but smell is important). Thanks for being such a great Grow Bud(dy)

1 Like

Like @CurrDogg420 said, I have switched to a dry vape also seems like a smoother smoke, at least for me excigarette smoker of over 50 years.

1 Like

I find that vaping gives the best taste. Although I usually prefer to smoke bowls for convenience.

2 Likes

I don’t know what a dry vape is – I thought we were just talking regular vapes. Please educate me.

just came upon this post… joints are the best way to enjoy your bud if you believe the whole vaping theories …all other ways have a component that hinders something in the weed that you may or maynot be able to detect…
@GrnyGrows dry vape is taking normal weed and putting it in a vape pipe…wet vape is when you have some kind of oil in your vape pipe…

1 Like

Ah… that oil stuff was kind of scary. I didn’t know you could put weed in vapes. I’m so out of it… and happily so. Papers, glass pipes, I’m cool.

1 Like

I bought one of those expensive table top dry vape smoking machines because I thought it would be better for my lungs…but I never did like the effects from my smoke and it took a lot more…then I was stuck with some left over weed that it is said has some stuff left in it and so I tried to use it in tinctures but it didn’t do anything for me…sometimes old ways are the best

2 Likes

I get excited about all the gadgets and ideas – but, ya know, after 50 years (half a freakin’ century) of lovin’ this plant – I know we’re cool just the way we are. :sunglasses:

2 Likes