I suck at this ALREADY

I keep killing seedlings. Its… “The Dampening” I think… so what do you hydro fellas do to start seedlings and when do you transfer to buckets? Cuz I thought you wanted the minimal amount of transferring, so I plopped her there right after she sprouted.

This really sucks. I suck at this already. This very discouraging especially after I’ve spent so many hours and even weeks just READING about how to grow! I’m bummed. I really thought I had this. Monitoring ph every damn morning and evening, monitoring ppm, checking the heat, the light and its distance from the top of the seedling, the humidity, etc. Wtf. So much for being a “nurturing chick grower”. lol

4 Likes

Join the crowd. I start with a coffee cup. Fill it with tap water and a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide. I place my seeds in there and wait 24 hours. I then place my seeds in a wet paper towel, fold it over a time or two, and place in a ziplock baggie. I put this in my nightstand drawer (total darkness). After a couple of days, I start checking. When tails emerge, I transfer to rockwool.
To do this, I soak my rock wool in water that has been ph adjusted. After I let it soak a few minutes, I take it out of the water, squeeze out excess water and place my seed in it, root facing down. I then place them in my humidity dome under a 125w 6500k cfl bulb for 7 days. Light is on 24/7. After the 7 days, I then transfer to bucket. Set water level in your bucket 1 1/2 inch below bottom of netpot and bubbles bursting at surface will provide adequate moisture. Once roots hit water, turbo kicks in and plants will explode with growth. Don’t worry. My first grow, I got 5 ounces off of 5 plants. Last grow I got over 3 1/2lbs off 2 plants.
Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to tag me.

4 Likes

Dude that’s legit what I did almost exactly, except I skipped the ziplock bag part. Wtf. Does this seedling look bad? Like is it already infected?? The root near the seed looks too dark.

Another thing @MutilatedMoth your rock wool needs to be BELOW the hydroton so that it is NOT exposed to light. If you zoom in on picture, you will notice rockwood Is covered with hydroton. If it is exposed to light, it will get algae

Better picture

2 Likes

Ok that I didnt do. I also saw that some people dont fill their pot all the way with the clay pebbles, should i remove some??

I have been using large net pots. I put a little hydroton on bottom, place my rock wool in it, then place hydroton all around and over the top. The hydroton basically supports your plant and keeps light off.

My setup from placing in rock wool. Once they pop out the top, I then leave them for 7 days.

2 Likes

Ok so you dont even place them in a bucket for over a week?

I use a mixture of agricultural coarse vermiculite 1 to 3 perlite, 1/2 strength nutrients using high purity and high solubility chemical compound plant food.
Rotwool needs H2O2 in the solution to provide Oxygen in such a water confining medium, without it they usually wither and die from root suffocation.

2 Likes

You are correct, my little ganja growing buddy

1 Like

What’s that

That’s all soil stuff. Shatter, so you keep your future hydro babies in soil first?

1 Like

@AAA help. For the love of god, help. I cant fail at this, I cant. Besides, my cousin is hovering over me, judging with his evil eye. I NEED TO SUCCEED ABOVE AND BEYOND.

4 Likes

Rock wool is a good choice if going into hydro but like stated needs to be buried more than shown. Likely damping off so: be sure your liquid is at least 2" below net pot, top feed until roots hit water then immediately discontinue. When top feeding, do it on the clay pellets and not on the rock wool. Let the clay wick over.

I did not put my seedlings into the net pots until I saw a tap root starting out the bottom. Until then they got straight R/O.

3 Likes

I don’t understand what you are saying.

Yeah I’m not sure what he/she means either. We have enough o2 in our hydro systems with the bubbles dont we? I think shatter might be strictly a soil grower. Could be wrong, maybe just soil in the beginning? Shatter, what you got for us buddy?

1 Like

@Gremmall ya SEE?!?!?!

1 Like

One way to avoid the whole mess it to use the seed to make a mother plant. Then clone the plants you need for hydro. This avoids the rock wool altogether. I use an Oxyclone machine so the clones are already hydro.
I understand how top feeding is convenient and useful too, but not absolutely necessary. Initially I let the water hit the bottom of the pot which wicks up to the clone. I keep dropping the water level as the roots grow down into the grow station. When there is enough length to the roots, then I drop to 2 inches below. My system has a float valve to replace water as necessary in my control res and another for my refill res. Makes everything simple to maintain.

1 Like

Sorry, Im soil guy. But you have plenty of experts helping you.

1 Like

BUT BUT BUT BUT BRAH. ok how about just SOME seedling tips??? Like is the pic I posted of my seedling ok? It looks too dark at the head and I’m wondering if shes already dampening off and I already fcked it up.