I opened my paper towel to this?

Ok well here goes so far everything you and mattybear have said to do is working so I am gonna give it a go! I am using Fox farm but still I can do the nutrient soak!

3 Likes

@TDubWilly can you help me on what you think could be wrong with my little girl. I have bubble bucket with big airstone bubbler. Light is 600w mag light 18 hours of light. Auto plant 26ish days old fox farm nuts at 1/4 strength in the bucket bubbling. Top watering plain water temps at 70 night to 78 day. Put it in the bucket 5 days ago looking happy but now looking sadā€¦what is my problem? See pic

1 Like

Iā€™ll do what I can buddy, this is what I have to start withā€¦

1. Can you take a pic of your roots?
  2. You say 1/4 strength nutes but if you can get a ppm/ec reading we can determine if there is an underlying problem here. (Remember that hydro is about ā€œcontrolā€ over your variables and if you donā€™t know exactly where your variables are at then you donā€™t have control)
  3. The final thing I would say is that a 600 watt light is probably a bit to much for that little guy, depending on the light of course. Can you provide type of light info and light distance from the plant info?

I think these are 3 basic things to start with to troubleshoot your issue.

2 Likes

Okay my ppm is 700 in the bubbling water but the roots that are there are only getting the splash up because they are just bearly sticking out of the cube not really going down into the bucket from the net basket yet. The top watering is plain water at a ph of 5.8. The light is a 600 watt HID with a veg bulb light at about 30 inches above the plant my humidity is running around 38 to 45% .

1 Like

Go ahead and throw this out and make you up a fresh batch of about 350ppm or less.

Stick with this pH but also use a very mild nutrient mix of about 200ppm while top watering, if you misjudge mixing, try to misjudge on the lower side of your 250 target. Try and keep the clay wet till those roots get in the water good

If this is adjustable, I would turn it down. Letā€™s see what @dbrn32 says about your light for your little guy.

Anytime you can lower this down would be beneficial to you.

There are many successful growers on here, so have your ear open to what everyone has to say, but if I was having your issues, these would be all the places that I personally would look at first.

3 Likes

HI @Are, Iā€™ve read this thread and based on the last picture, Iā€™m leaning towards the light is too close. Try raising that 600 up as far as u can and see if she gets happy.

2 Likes

Ok thanks guys I am going to turn down the light a bit and lower my ppm :relaxed:

2 Likes

30" not terrible, but raising it a little wonā€™t hurt.

2 Likes

Ok when I figure out my ppm do I minus off the original figure? My plain water is 190ppm so if I have a reading of 450 ppm do I take off the 190 to k ow my actual ppm? @dbrn32 @TDubWilly. I also have an adjustable light so I turned it down to 250W and turned down my fan so my air temps are about 75f .

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t neccesarily remove them from your calculations. Itā€™s hard to say for sure how much of whatever is in your tap water is mobile. Some probably is and some probably isnā€™t.

Best policy here is to use recommended levels until your plants tell you otherwise. They will react to too much or too little of anything.

2 Likes

Thanks for ypur helpā˜ŗ

1 Like

This is just me personally, I pretend the 190ppm is not there until I start to get into higher ppm levels exceeding, letā€™s say about 1300ppm.

The reason I say this is the difference between 400 and 600 really isnā€™t that big of deal however, the difference between 1500 and 1700 can be a big deal.

At 190ppm tap, your worries shouldnā€™t be weighing heavy on youā€¦ my tap approaches 400ppm and my hot water heater is full of giant calcium deposits. Itā€™s tough for me to grow with tap water yet I have still done itā€¦ never had a cal/mag issue one though :wink:

3 Likes

Good point buddy. I think one of bigger issues there is at 400-600 ppm thereā€™s not a lot of room to be too high on anything. If youā€™re running 1500pm and something like nitrogen is a little high already and then drop 200 ppm worth calmag on top of it they will probably object. If plant is on cruise control at 1500ppm and you made something like 2% increase across the board on all macros would land you around 1700ppm, and she would likely gobble it up without a hitch.

5 Likes

@TDubWilly @dbrn32 I have started with Fox farm for nuts but I am reading lots of negatives can you recommend ? Or can you say what you think is the best for a starter like me?

1 Like

The only thing I have ever used is the general hydroponics micro and florabloom, I add in some silica usually, any old brand will do.

Ive heard good things about fox farms though

1 Like

What about calmag? This is something I am struggling with. With FF I read some say you dont need and others say it is a must haveā€¦

I take that back, I have calmag too! Lol itā€™s always good to have a bottle of that sitting around

2 Likes

@Bogleg @MattyBear these are my new Jack H auto sprouts. I did as you said 2 days in water in cup then into the rapid rooter now at day 7 they look too skinny. I have kept the light super close ā€¦LED desk top grow lamp 18 hours of light . With dome for humidity off for 6 hours per day on for the rest of the time. Heat mat on during dark off during light . I am not sure what else to do . see pic

Transplant them. Thatā€™s the next step. :wink::v::bear:

The other ones I started did not look so skinny. I am worried that they are to streached? They seem normal