I opened my paper towel to this?

Ok I put the one I hatched into the rockwool . @merlin44 @Midwestnewbie what should I be giving this little girl for light at this stage since it is a bit of a weirdo ?

1 Like

@Are they donā€™t need much light at this stage they do need high humidity. I like to dome mine and set off to the side. Only watering using a spray bottle I cover the plant with shot glass and dampen off around it. I also have a small humidifier that I fill my dome with the mist and put over plant couple times a day. Iā€™m sure @merlin44 will catch anything Iā€™ve missed.

2 Likes

I have put a dome over it and have also kept it on the warmer. I have a LED grow light desk top kind but it is in my laundry room and there is a window should I put the light on dim or just let the light from the window fill the room and for how many days should I do that before I give more light?

1 Like

I would think itā€™d be fine under that desk light.

2 Likes

I usually keep mine domed for about the first 2 weeks. But thatā€™s just me sometimes a little earlier sometimes a little later just depends on the plant and how strong or not it looks. Im in soil/soilless mix so my methods are suited for me. What type medium do you use?

2 Likes

I am using rockwool into clay pebbles with bubble buckets. I can keep on the heating pad until I see a root out the bottom of the rockwool then move to the bucket and still dome if neededā€¦I have to just get to week 3 I have a week 1 and 2 kill record!! :disappointed:

3 Likes

Lol I feel your pain let me tag @peachfuzz is great with hydro buckets and maybe @MattyBear can help? @Bogleg has some great journals and maybe a very good read for you as well.

3 Likes

@TDubWilly is another outstanding hydro grower and a great teacher as well :wink::v::bear:

3 Likes

I use rapid rooters instead of rockwool, but something I have gotten in the habit of doing is putting a layer of clay pebbles under my seedling tray, and I fill that gap with water. Itā€™s surprising how quickly that water goes away. I do this specifically to keep the rooters from being too close to the heating mat. Soā€¦ just one word of caution from me to make sure your heating mat isnā€™t getting the bottoms of your cubes too hot.

My process is rooters until I see roots out the bottom, then into my cloner where I top feed them until they grow roots long enough to feed themselves into the cloner, then I move them to wherever is next in the process once the roots progress far enough there.

5 Likes

It looks like you are on your way and everyone seems to have you covered. My seedlings are 6 days old and starting to make leaves and lots of roots. They are out of doom but the rH is steady at 75% at 75 F.

I am hoping to move them to intermediate pots in about 12 days or so.
Good luck and happy growing @are

2 Likes

Wow thanks everyoneā€¦I am going to do a layer of pebbles as suggested and keep trying I have o my killed 2 thus far and I ordered 15 so here is to persistence !! Lol

4 Likes

@Bogleg I have question about how you do the rapid rooters. I finally got them today and since I have now successfully killed 6 seeds and 2 seedlings in rockwool and using the paper towel method so I am quitting this and I am trying the rapid rooter with advice from before. So with the rooter I plan to turn it upside down make a hole tiny oneā€¦losen the dirt put the seed in at 1/4 inch deep water to damp put in the tray on top of the pebbles water filling the gap between tray and rooter on top of the heating mat. The questions : do I dome ? Do I top water or just let the water soak up from the bottom and spray only once it pops up? How often should I put water in the tray? Daily? Every other? When it is all gone? Do I put the seed point up or point down or it does not matter? Should I put light on the tray or no? Last (for now) how long should it take to pop up and once it does should I just continue the same treatment or change? If I change what do I change to? You said you put your. Seedlings in your cloner till the get roots I donā€™t have a cloner so do I just put them into the tent with the tray maybe ? I am getting super frustrated that I canā€™t seem to get these to grow!. I can grow anything!! Anything it seems but weed!! :cry:

Yes.

While they are still seeds and not emerged from the rooter, no waterā€¦ the rooter should hold enough. Once they emerge, I top feed them with a few sprays from a spray bottle two or three times a day. Just to keep the top of the rooters looking mildly damp - donā€™t over water.

I just put more in when it is empty. The water in the bottom of the tray isnā€™t really there for any scientific reason. Non-scientifically, it just gives me some confidence the roots might be encouraged to grow towards it. For my seedling trays, they have three pieces:

1. A white solid tray
  2. A black insert with six individual seedling spaces
  3. A clear dome

What I do is add a single layer of clay pebbles in the white solid tray, then I fill that with water until the water level is even with the top of the clay pebbles. Then I put the black insert on top of it, rooters in the black insert, dome on top.

I germinate my seeds in a glass of water with a few drops of H2O2, so I always put them tap root down. I donā€™t put them in the rooters unless they have a tap root showing.

I only add light once the seedlings have emerged. No green stuff, no light. Green stuff = light.

My answer to this will be different than yours, since I germinate in a glass of water first. I usually see them emerge 24-72 hours after I put them in the rapid rooters. But keep in mind, they ALL have tap roots showing when I do this.

If you donā€™t have a cloner, I would put them in whatever your final system is for them, and I would top feed them two or three times a day with a spray bottle until they grow roots down into the water. I have done it this way several times with no issues.

1 Like

@Bogleg you germinate IN A glass of water? How does that work?Do you just put in the glass and let it float in the dark?

1 Like

I fill a glass of water half full with tap water from my tap. I add three or four drops of H2O2. I put the seeds in the water (they mostly float). I then stick the glass of water on top of my cable modem, which is inside a shelf in my desk. Usually 24-48 hours later, I have a tap root coming out of the seed. Once the tap root looks long enough to my (untrained) eye (usually 1/2" or so), then I plant it in the rapid rooter.

5 Likes

I do exactly the same thing @Bogleg does for germination :v::bear:

5 Likes

Thanks a lot guys!! I am so frustrated with the paper towel not working ! I am going to try the glass and see what happens ! I will let you know what sort of luck I have.

2 Likes

@MattyBear @Bogleg ok i did the cup with water and WOOHOO ! l got 4 seeds all to germinate all grew 1/2 inch beautifut tails!!! I am so excited!! Now to put them in the rooters. Just to make sure. Turn the rooters upside down loosen them plant the tail down 1/4 inch deep put in the rooter tub and add the dome. How much water do i put on the rooter? Just water a bit and then leave under the dome no light till i see green right?

4 Likes

Also now use ph water

There is a method to the rapid rooter madness - as far as how you get the seed in it.

1. I soak my rapid rooters in a mild nutrient solution (200ppms of nutes). I have so-far used General Hydroponics Flora nutes, so I basically soak them in a week one seedling solution (2.5ml of Micro, Grow and Bloom). I do PH this solution to 5.8 (hydro numbers).

2. I squeeze the rooters so they arenā€™t dripping water, but leave them fairly damp. I like the imagine the inside is still drenched, but the outside is more like ā€œwet to the touch but not drippingā€ - if you leave them completely drenched, there is a chance youā€™ll drown your seed. If you squeeze all the water out, the seed will stall.

3. I tear open the rapid rooter length-wise (top to bottom) so I can gently place the seed in the middle of it without damaging the tap root. Much easier than trying to stuff it in the pre-made hole.

4. Tear off a small piece of the rooter from the bottom to cover the pre-made hole after the seed is in it.

You shouldnā€™t need to do anything until they sprout, at this point.

4 Likes