I need help buying a light

@dbrn32 HLG is selling packages with Meanwell drivers and Samsung LEDs. They only have a limited offering. I can purchase everything contained in their kits, for much less money, and I actually found better products with Samsung LEDs and Meanwell drivers that they don’t offer for less. To be truthful with you about half price. It turns out my son purchases lots of electronic equipment in his business so I got the hookup. I was hoping you would give me some advice on what would cover my needs. Let me know if you will because I don’t want to keep bothering you if you’re just recommending HLG products. Thank you for your help

1 Like

I don’t care what you buy. I was just stating that I’m not familiar with the specs and heatsink requirements of every pcb manufacturer out there. I know how the hlg products behave, what to expect out of them, and about how they do in different sized spaces.

Samsung makes a butt load of leds too. There are several instances of Chinese pcb manufacturers advertising lm561c or lm301b chips but then using a lower performing chip from Samsung or even something from epistar. They will all grow weed, but if you get one of those you’re not getting “a deal” you’re just paying for lower performance.

I’ll help with anything I can, but I’ll need specs for anything that I can’t easily look up.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 what you said is true and darn sound advice for me and others. That’s the problem with trying to buy things online. The Chinese make all of the stuff needed. However there’s so much counterfeit stuff out there it’s nearly impossible to get what you’re paying for without buying from a reputable place. Us old folks are at a real disadvantage in this hi tech :earth_americas:. We’re very fortunate to have good people like you to assist us in getting the stuff we need and that we pay for. In talking with my son about our messages he said you were spot on and that he’ll just make my boards for me. That way I can get the best LEDs and I can choose better heat sinks and fans. He said for me to choose what stuff I want and he’ll make it.
I have a 8x10 closet but I only want to cover a grow area of 3x3. Which LEDs and how many, Is Samsung LM301B 3000k or something else or a combination. What type and thickness aluminum heat sink will be best for the LEDs I’ll be using? Also Is a fan needed and if so what’s your thoughts on that. Which power supply do I need to get so I can add another identical board later if I over grow my area.
Imagine a setup that nobody advertises for sale because it would cost too much but they should. Like I said before I gots the hookup! lol Again, Thank you for all your assistance

3 Likes

Well your son has his head in the right place anyway lol. I don’t doubt at all that you could get some fairly inexpensive stuff and grow well with it. But takes someone very familiar with it to know what you’re getting. Most of the good stuff in led market comes from China too, so very easy to get taken to cleaners if you’re not careful.

Are you guys planning on building pcb’s, or looking for something that’s pretty much ready to be used without any soldering/reflow work?

Also, does your son have any preferences on electronic vendors? If there’s a place he gets discount on pricing on or whatever I can see what they have?

1 Like

@dbrn32 you’re exactly right and that’s how people get taken. You got 1 China man selling good stuff and a million ripoffs. Chance of getting the honest one is slim to none. Unless someone knows such a reputable place you’re taking a chance.
Yeah he can make the boards. As I understood he’ll put whichever diodes on a board. He said there’s some with gold connections if I want get stupid. My son says he uses two places to get the stuff for the most part. One is Digi something or another and I’m drawing a blank on the other one. I’ll probably talk to him tomorrow when he gets off work if he’s got time. He’s 35 years old and hasn’t smoked in years and not much time for me and my hobbies.
About 10 years ago I went through a divorce and wanted to travel a little. He was between jobs and we smoked often then so it was easy to talk him into going on vacation with me. He had never been to a state where it was legal so we took off to Cali. We spent a few months out there and smoked some of the finest weed out there. I spent the first 3 days at the hotel smoking sleeping and eating. It took me quite some time to get used to that high quality weed. We come back home to Florida and he goes to work out there and can you believe this, he quits smoking. Smdh I appreciate your help with this because I’m lost with this stuff. Thanks

1 Like

I’m sure its digikey, they have about everything. They sell lm301b anyway. If you wanna use the lm301b, ripping off something like qb 120 is pretty easy. Its 15 parallel strings of 8 chips in series. Putting that on something like 11"x9"x .125 pcb will run passive. That would be a 50-60 watt board, 4 of them pretty solid on 250 watt driver in 3x3. If you wanted to go beyond and add the 660nm, cree xpe high efficiency is pretty easy to get on a 20mm star.

I’m not sure off top of my head how it stacks up cost wise or what digikey has in stock. But you’ll want the highest flux bin and lowest voltage bin available. He can grab data sheet and reference them vs stock.

If that gets a little overwhelming, Pacific light concepts has photo boost strips coming in monthly. If you run them at 700ma they’re as good as anything available ready to hang. Samsung’s strip to compete was suppose to be released months ago… the photo boost strips use lm301b and cree 660nm

4 Likes

@dbrn32 that photo boost strip DIY LED grow light build has me confident i can do it. Much appreciated. I read your previous comments on building lights. But that video was very informative. Next light i will build myself! :wink::100:

1 Like

Linear pcb’s like that are available in 3 different lengths, in several different cct, from a whole bunch of manufacturers. The assembly process is about the same for all of them too. You just need to make sure components are all compatible together and what you can do from there is limitless

2 Likes

@dbrn32 that build video breaks it down where even someone like myself isn’t so intimidated by the technology.
You are right I’m sure digikey was one of the places my son mentioned. I can’t thank you enough for your help with all my questions and lighting needs. We’re all very fortunate to have someone like you on this forum. I really appreciate everything you’ve done

2 Likes

No problem, I enjoy it. Let me know if you guys need some help from there.

1 Like

@dbrn32 most definitely will thanks again

1 Like

Im pretty happy with my hlg 135 4k so far . I just purchased my second qb hlg 288 3k light and it will probably arrive tomprrpw or saturday. I recommend going qb. My plants are really showing a differences just within a week .

1 Like