I’m so confused with this soil. Should have started slower. More normal

So, I researched living soil enough to be dangerous. I ended up buying Jolly Roger, a marijuana formula, from Vermont Compost Co. They’re really cool and I liked the idea and their farm etc. It’s mostly manure and compost, with a bunch of other things including peat etc. I don’t think I need to list everything in it for this purpose.

The instructions on the website say to activate it before use by warm watering 10-20% of volume. I gave them 1/3 of that and they’re moist to the bottom (as far as I can tell). For any of it to work the soil of course should just be moist and not wet. It’s especially important here to keep it moist and not to let it dry out etc.

Do you think they meant to soak it totally the first time, or if it’s moist, should I just go with it?

Sorry if this is stupid.

1 Like

I would follow directions to the letter on a new process. They give the directions for a reason. Changing it up should be attempted after you know the product or someone who uses it has had success adjusting. Just my opinion. If it says10-20% I myself would do 15% first round.

3 Likes

That makes complete sense. I’ve already messed it up by using pots that are too small for the real full benefit. I just have to get through this first run. Bit off too much with this. Found out about size etc too late. Have no other soil, no money, and these gals are ready to move. I’m bummed. But I want to make the best of it I can. Ugh! When does this get fun? haha.

Thank you!

2 Likes

It is fun right now. Part of the charm is the challenge. If a video game is too easy i quit. Do they instruct you to let it simmer a few weeks to allow bacteria etc. to get strong? Small pots if have not planted just toss it all in a big tub. Do what they ask. Then portion it out. Smaller pots should not be an issue if you are taking from 1 big bin. All will be mixed evenly. Always have patience. Mother nature only accepts a little of our direction. She will do what she wants. Nothing will happen fast and if it does reach out right away. Fast can be bad. Solutions will take time. No real overnight fixes except for water in my experience. Just relax and have fun. A plant dies…pop another. Figure out why. Plant has issues that trouble you badly…pop another and work to heal sick plant. I never throw them till THEY give up. At that point the challenge is how can i heal this 1 for next occurance knowledge. Just me. If i grew just to have smoke i would get bored. Have fun and all the help you need is here with these guys. Welcome to the forum.

4 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood @Scfm69 , I have to say what he :point_up:said and just add, imo organic growing is the easiest way to grow the hardest thing is watering because trying to stay in the middle of wet n dry is harder than it sounds :smile: I find watering small amounts every day and once a week or so water it till just a small amount leaks out the bottom, if you over do it a little wait til the next day and pour the water from the bottom back into your soil it’s pretty much a nutrient tea

5 Likes

@MeEasy they already shipped that earth dust man. Bought 2 bags organic potting soil to start a new bin with it. Excited.

3 Likes

@MeEasy sorry for questions but does that stuff regulate ph for you?

2 Likes

Thank you again. It’s nice to feel welcome and get advice. You are right. It is fun. A month ago I was frantic I wouldn’t be able to germ a seed, looking for clones almost driving 3 hours (one way). Now I have seven 3 week old gals up there. All 9 popped but two just never established tap roots. I looked inside and it appeared they got trapped. I dropped 9 to get 6 (skeptic) but am going with 7. Hoping to be able to manage. I’ve learned more since and things will be different next run. The thing about this soil is you never want it wet. Just moist. That’s why I’m confused. It’s so moist with such little water. I’m giving it more time to soak. The peat in it could be why they say to initially soak so much. I’m just afraid to do it. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Right on bro, I started using it a little over a year ago and I’m happy with every grow, it’s simple cheap and grows top notch weed… good luck and let me know if I can help you at all

1 Like

@Scfm69 show us some pics man. We have some very visual growers here that can see a problem at a glance. Love it.

1 Like

Just to jump in, mine says no need to PH but everyone says I’m crazy. I didn’t make it!! Haha. I’m just trying to do what they said.

I am worried about the sodium ppm in my water. It’s 70ppm. Articles say toxic to plants. I think one said maybe the soil too. Others laugh and say I’m crazy and that’s nothing. It is much higher than most water supplies.

Good news is no chloramine.

1 Like

Of the soil in the bag? Or the babies?

Meaning grow bag… not soil bag :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, is the short answer but you have to have decent water to start with. Obviously you can’t water with lemon juice and expect it to go good. As long as your ph is 5.5-7.5 with the tds under 400 ppm you shouldn’t have any problems. The closer to just water you do the better it works and the more you reuse the same soil the better it gets all I add between grows is a little perlite and of course earth dust

4 Likes

Heck get a water pitcher with a filter if worried on salt. I use 1 to filter water for clones. Will take out the salt and a lot of the junk in the water. Cheap solution. A Brita is what i use.

1 Like

I read they don’t take out the sodium. Not even carbon filters. Only RO and you don’t want to use it with the soil. I almost had one put in.

@MeEasy good to know. Reservoir water. Rains…goes to 10…sigh. normal 7.8-8.5. That is why my lazy butt gets lockout occasionally. Just had to flush and restart my whole sog. Lazy. Did not check after reservoir did a release and ph spiked. I thought i was dialed in…lmao. they are opening back up now.

2 Likes

Good to know. Just pulled 1 from our inventory and figured it would. Ill save myself some time then.

1 Like

I have really hard water tds of just under 600 ppm so I had to get an ro system but I take the ro water and mix it 50/50 with the tap water and with a small pinch of vitamin C to neutralize the chlorine I’m good. Matter of fact the vitamin C (ascorbic acid) will reduce the ph a little without worrying about build up from the chemical ph up n down

3 Likes

Aha. Ty. Natural ph down i prefer. What amounts typically for a 1 point drop a gallon? If i can drop 1 point that living soil can push the rest.

2 Likes

I literally use a pinch so it varies depending on the pinch but it drops off about 1 point ± .25

2 Likes