Alright, the seeds are on the way from ILGM and I haven’t bought anything yet. If you had approximately a grand to spend (will go more, if have to) and were starting from scratch, what would you do? I don’t do things half-way and I research like crazy. I “think” I know what my setup will look like for the first grow, but I am fuzzy on some things and can certainly be persuaded.
Here are my particulars:
- I’m based out of Los Angeles in a hot valley, not along the cooler coast
- For this first grow I have to be indoors due to upcoming summer w/ super hot days (90-110 deg daily & 60s at night)
- I’m doing medical strains for my wife & some friends with serious medical issues that we can bless with free MJ.
- I already spend quite a bit on MJ monthly so it only makes sense to start growing. The ROI for me should be pretty quick.
- 4 strains and planning on doing 2 plants of each, so approx 8 plants.
- Harlequin (reg), Blueberry (auto), Northern Lights (auto), & Skywalker (fem)
My Initial Thoughts
- Apollo 8x4x6.7 grow tent
- Two Viparspectra Reflector Series 600w LED lights. (130 5w chips) 24” distance. Basically one light per 4x4 space.
- After germination planning on 5 gal grow bags to minimize circular root problem
- 6” Duct fan with carbon filter. (Not sure on brand or power yet)
- 6” ducts with window duct kit for exhaust.
- Will run lights at night so air is cooler when drawing into tent.
- Programmable power kit
- Looking for WiFi based thermometer/humidity control system (programmable if possible) I’m a programmer, so I want to track as much data as I can to develop software for automated grow tracking systems. I realize that might be a separate purchase as what I’m envisioning might be above a grand by itself.
- Two clip-on fans at top of rig to circulate air
- Do I need an air in-take fan of some sort?
- Do I need a separate humidifier? Humidity is very low in LA during the summer.
- Hand water with this first setup as I have no way to get automated water to it. Although if there is a DIY solution with a larger bucket filled with water and then use a small pump on a timer with tubing? I have construction friends that can help me build things.
- I’m planning on doing some hand trimming, but mainly using ScrOG netting to keep height down and max surface space for lights. It’s all going to be allot of work but my wife is a stay-at-home mom so she can do allot of tending as well as my college aged kids that are strangely excited about this project.
I know soil and water will be different per each strain. Also thinking thru heights of the plants. If it’s two 4x4 tents there should be a plan for which plants go where as ScrOG nets would be difficult with different heights as they grow as well as lighting heights that need to be 18” minimum.
Am I on the right path? What am I missing or not planning for properly?