I’m a first time grower wanting advice

I am a first time grower with a few questions. I am growing feminized Gorilla Glue bought from ILGM and I’m using Fox Farms Happy Frog soil. I planted my seeds directly into the soil on 5/5/21 and I want to know if they look healthy and anyone could throw in some suggestions? This is an indoor grow with an 18/6 lighting schedule. (LED full spectrum) I topped the plants today (6/4/21)

1 Like

Welcome to the community MrDeeBaker, your girls look. Ice and healthy and a great medium to grow in. The FFHF is great for several weeks as far as nutrients are concerned. I would start checking your run off PH and PPM/EC around week 3-4. You’re around 35 days and still should be good, but you’re going to need a good supply of NPK for the remainder of your veg time. Topping was the 1st LST I see you did. I would give them some recovery time and start training her by bending the main over at a 90 degree angle and tie her down. Support the base with a tie wire from the opposite side. Then you can move on to the side branches. A huge wealth of knowledge in the community :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

I don’t understand all of the acronyms. Could you spell them out to me once so I will know the reference later?

So I looked up NPK. This is what I’m currently using once a week. It’s NPK is 24-8-16. It seems to be working pretty well. As for PH, my water source is an artesian well that taps into a natural spring 100ft underground. All natural with no chemicals.

Does the plant on the left have one more set of leaves (node) than the other? I am counting 4 on the taller one and maybe three on the other.
There are a lot of training options you can use. Bending the main stem is certainly one. Another is tie down and spread out the lower growth tips as they grow. When the two main stems have a couple sets of leaves you can spread them out opposite each other. This creates a manifold. I only like to leave three sets of growth tips below where it was topped.
Post your questions or tag someone.
The plants look good.

2 Likes

I don’t feel comfortable enough in the grow room to bend and tie yet. I kind of want to get a feel for it so I don’t mess up. But yes, you are right. The one on the right has the same plant/birth date, but looks to be far behind in growth to the other. I also noticed that it’s stem it narrower closer to the soil than up top too. I fed it some banana tea trying to supplement potassium, but I had no results. I water them twice a week with one of those being a feeding too.

1 Like

The first picture is of the height difference. The next 3 are of the shorter plant and its stem. The next 3 are of the taller plant. The last 2 are overhead pictures of them both.

The sooner you LST the easier it is , the thicker the stem gets the more rigid it is( and the slower you need to gently bend it). Also you should get bloom nutes flowering plants need close to 4-8-6 ratio

2 Likes

What about this trio?

3 Likes

Yup those are number 2 fave hydro nute on this forum (second only to Jack’s 321) I’d start them on 1/2 -3/4 doses 7-8 weeks in

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum
Good luck

1 Like

Hey don’t worry too much about using miracle grow. I use it all the time with some good success. Only problem I find here is the no control factor on the nutrients. Here is my GSCA week 5 flower and my devil xxl auto all growing in miracle grow.

2 Likes

This is your photo of the shorter one.

From the earlier post I didn’t think she had this many nodes. I numbered each node.
The red circle is where it was topped. ?? I can not make out the new growth tips. At node 5 I can see the tips but barely.
A couple of points to consider:
I understand your hesitancy about tying branches down and bending. May I suggest doing this. Get some plant twist ties and loop it around growth tip 2 with longer yellow line. Attach the other end to the side of the pot with a paper clip or binder clip. No need to bend the branch. Just get comfortable with using and attaching the plant ties.
When the growth tips at the third node get bigger you can so the same thing.
If interested and want to pursue moderate LST glad to help.
Here is an example

This plant was initially trained for eight colas. You can see how each set of growth tips were tied down or stapled (much easier to use & do).

1 Like

Excellent example :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Thank you. It is very straight forward. It is an easy form to manage the growth tips if you only leave three below where it is topped. More than that if gets harder to find a home for the individual branches. With this one I probably removed the bottom two nodes. I usually remove the first one or two no matter. They usually don’t amount to much because it is difficult for the lowest ones to reach the canopy.

Nice! I typically end up with 6 growth tips. Good info on where to top for management.

2 Likes

With that batch I experimented with topping each one 2X. Probably the wrong strain to do that many toppings on.

I like it, have you ever topped the side branches? I’ve got a butt load of autos (ILGM 10 for 10) just curious on that for photos, got a few of those as well.

Yes the one I mentioned experimenting on. I think I ended up with around 20 buds.
8 to start
top all = 16

4 plants in a 3x3 = full house

“Wow”, I’ve been curious about the results from that topping method. Bro those are on point!

1 Like