I live in Hawaii, and the volcano is raging 60 miles from me, and spewing lots of ash, still want to grow a small amount of medical (mostly CBD)

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I live in Hawaii, and the volcano is raging 60 miles from me, and spewing lots of ash, still want to grow a small amount of medical (mostly CBD). I am on solar and would like to utilize the sun. Is partial shade ok? I just am not into lights, but I am into organic, what will make the plants the happiest without compromising their health and organic status…spirulina, fish pond water? aqua-ponics, does anyone talk about these things. Aloha , Olivia

Welcome to the forum and to better help I suggest you join: it’s free.

There is an aquaponics category here so do check it out.

Cannabis needs 5 hours of direct sunlight per day with daylight in excess of 12 hours to stay out of flower. Autos might be a good idea in your area being close to the equator. The rule of thumb is if it’s comfortable for you it’s perfect for the plants.

2 Likes

Hawi has just about perfect weather: Not too hot, not too humid like Hilo. Some of my friends retired there and I went to visit. Lovely place. In June, day length only gets up to around 13 hours so you might want to plant in a place that has a light you can turn on around midnight for 15 minutes. That fools the plants and keeps them from flowering too early. Then in August, you can stop with the light and let them follow the natural day/night cycle.

If you plant indicas, give them a little shade (like shade cloth) so they are not in direct sun from 10 to 2. I grow in San Diego and last summer I sunburned some indicas, but the sativas did fine in direct sun.

Several folks here use organic fertilizers and soil. Look at the forum topics to find organic threads. Fish pond water might be too weak. Aquaponic people need to keep all the nutrients for their own plants, so unless you want to raise your own tilapia you may have to just buy stuff. By the way, aquaponics is hard and expensive. Most commercial operations barely squeak buy selling their gourmet organic lettuce to restaurants. They end up with $20 a pound tilapia so it’s better not to eat the fish and just let them nourish the plants.