I have some questions please help

That’s typically too much moisture, good call. Watering at this point should be with an eyedropper. The soil will be very dry looking and would benefit from being domed at this point. Personally I use a spray bottle.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. I was using a spray bottle but I thought a few days ago that I’d just switch to watering the dirt slightly instead of spraying and haven’t had to water it since. I didn’t want to have them be thirsty but it seems that the bottom of a bathroom cup for each seedling was still too much for each one… Oh well, now I know. I took the dome off of them once the first couple pupped up since the humidity kept hitting 80-90 and they’ve been just under the light like that since. Just a little while ago I put one of those duel fans (the ones people put in their windows) on low pointed at them to develop a stronger stem instead of height. They’re jiggling around now but one is so much taller than the others and it’s jiggling around so much that it’s scaring me. Should I not have a fan on them at this point? I feel it’s necessary for a stronger stem. At 70.5°f and 44 RH, although the RH may go down even more since the fan is now on; it was at 55 before turning it on and it’s been on for about 20 mins. What’s the safest lowest RH level, 40? I read somewhere a bit back that RH should be 40-80 always.

People say keep the light 2-3" away with seedlings and a CFL but even with that, they just keep growing taller, it’s a 6400k bulb. The first one is also not only taller than all the rest but around 1.25" away from the bulb now because it just keeps growing taller, I’m worried the leaves will get to hot soon. I put my hand there for a bit and it’s warm but not hot though. I don’t know why it just keeps growing taller. How tall do they normally grow to before working a lot on their good leaves?

2 Likes

They can take a little bit of air movement but right now you need to dome them and get the RH back to 80 or 90%. Let the soil dry out first because they will grow slowly or develop root rot,

2 Likes

Okay, So with the dome, they will be touching the top. I had two with massive dome tops that I paid a decent amount for when I did tobacco but someone threw them out on me because people in my house like to go through other people’s stuff and can’t worry about their own things.

So dome them after the soil dries out to prevent slow growth/root rot or NOW because if I don’t they will grow slowly or develop root rot? I’ll have to pick up new ones at the store tomorrow that are tall like what I had before.

So it doesn’t matter that the light will be far away since the dome prevents it from being close?

1 Like

Dome them now and give them a couple of hours of the fan every day uncovered if possible. I would blow the fan on your domed plants too to help dry the soil.

FYI when you do water seedlings it’s like a teaspoon twice a day.

Okay, I popped up the cover with a tape measure on one side so the tall seedling doesn’t get bent by the cover. I will have to buy a new tall dome tomorrow on my way home. I put saran wrap over the opening since it’s popped up. Hopefully that keeps the humidity in then. I read before that people take the dome off and put them right under the CFL after they sprout so I had done that. The soil was dry up to my first pinky knuckle so I gave them all some sprays and saran wrapped them off with the light over the propped up cover.

Hopefully they’ll all be okay now. Hopefully they grow faster now because it’s been quite slow for 4/6 of them, 2/6 are doing wonderful, one of those two being the one that seems super tall. I guess they’re all going to get super tall now since the light will be far away due to the dome. I had thought that was a bad thing.

Okay, I’ll open up the dome and fan them for a couple hours each evening. I can’t fan them while they’re in the dome though, there’s no room for my fan, it’s massive compared to that.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Happy to help as are most on here. Using CFL’s you will be dealing with stretch but I would like to see established tap roots before worrying too much about them stretching. You can push up a little soil around the stems to help support them or simply bury them deeper when the time comes.

What light will you be going to after this?

1 Like

I have a 600w HID light that’s encased with glass that I will use a Vortex S800 powerfan and carbon filter to suck air from the room and push it through insulated ducting, through the encased light and out the other side and lead it to my return for the central air. The actual light will be an MH light to use for veg and a HPS light for flowering.

1 Like

Oh, I remember exactly why I took them out of the dome… This is why: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0441/8845/files/Ilovegrowingmarijuana.com-seed-germination_a7a2b22c-5ede-4e4c-ac28-3303141a5319.pdf?9093548914668203433

Because I figured they knew best. They should update that if it has a high chance to cause root rot/dead plants because new planters don’t know this stuff and need the best and safest ways possible.

1 Like

I’ve heard others reference that germination guide as somewhat dated. Techniques evolve over time as we all learn what works best. My last 3 were germinated in distilled water with 3 drops of H2O2 added to speed husk softening. Who knew??

Everyone providing advice on seed germination has given you good advice with high success for them. You’ll find the process that works best for your setup.

Wow, that’s neat! Mine took 2.5-3 full days to pop out of the soil after 24hrs of soaking in water. How long did it take to pop out of the soil after doing it with the h2o2 solution? I will have to try that next time.

I’m not sure; a couple of days. But it can increase survival of the sprout by softening the shell early to allow moisture through. Another technique is to run the seed lightly down a nail file just to scuff the surface and slightly thin it. Never tried that.

Oh my, that sounds a bit scary… I don’t think I’d ever try that. Your way sounded a lot safer to me while also being effective. Good to know, I enjoy learning cool things like that!

1 Like

I have a blue lab kit and love it but there are definately less expensive units on the market that are just as good

1 Like

I am a newb too and I do not flush
Growing in organic soil with very very little in the way of support nutrients.
I planned on flushing before harvest last grow but the trichomes turned on me so fast that I did not have time to flush
However the buds are sweet smooth and no cough or harshness honestly probably the smoothest bud I have ever smoked
No credit to my own abilities but because of outstanding ILGM genetics and alot of help from these fine folks

1 Like

@Myfriendis410
So I’m reading up on root rot/damping off. It’s saying that it happens when there’s lots of humidity with seedlings or if they’re wet for a really long time. Being in the dome makes all that humidity rot the roots faster, no? Granted they do seem to grow faster that way, wouldn’t that be worse than keeping them out of the dome?

I went out and purchased a new dome for them since someone threw out my others… I just don’t understand how I’m reading online that high humidity/wetness causes it more but you’re saying to keep them in the dome. I’m so very confused, haha. Everywhere says to take them out of the dome but you are right because they were growing so slow. I’m doing what you say though, keeping them in the dome and just fanning them for a few hours each day now. It definitely shows that they love it more. You’re right, just bury the stem a bit later on seems to be the best way about it.

keeping them in dome means soil doesn’t dry too much too fast meaning you don’t need to water it for considerable time this reduces odds of over watering :wink: the main reason a plant will damp off is if top of soil is too wet usually a result of people misting plant to keep humidity up when plant is not under a dome. Most domes have vents which can be opened to reduce condensation but most condensation rolls down sides of dome so kinda pointless to worry about it contributing in any way

3 Likes

Ahh, okay. Thank you! (:

Thanks @Donaldj!

@Myfriendis410 @Donaldj Help! So a couple of my seedlings are starting to show signs of yellowing and it started yesterday but it’s getting worse today. The last picture on the bottom is me pointing to one that has the yellowing AND the leaves aren’t the same green as the rest, it’s dark green on all the leaves. What could that be too? They’ve all been in a dome with a 54w CFL over them at ~69-74 f and 70-80RH. I’m thinking it’s either iron or nitrogen deficiency for the yellowing but no idea about the dark green? Also, how would I fix these problems? I have only been using distilled water to water them. My PH reader just came in the mail last night finally. Here are the pictures.