I have seeds in my super silver haze grow

I’m pretty sure I bought femenised seeds I didn’t pollinate my plants there hasent been any other plants in the grow room and I have seeds in my buds this has never happened to me before

I’ll ask the obvious questons.

Any possible way pollen could have gotten to the plants from somewhere else? (I have personally angered my wife by waling into the house with pollen residue on my clothes from walking around the outside grow.)

If the plant didn’t become outright male, it’s possible that part of the plant became a hermaphrodite. (That’s happened to me for different reasons.)

Did light hit any part of any of the plants during the dark stage? (pinhole size light leaks, if there are enough might be all it takes.)

Any PH, temperature issues?

How much pruning took place throughout the grow and was any of it during flower?

If it’s genetically caused, the whole plant would most likely be male. If it was environmentally caused, it could be part of a plant or part of multiple plants.

I’ve also had “green seeds” on some buds before, even when I’ve harvested right on time. These are shaped like seeds, but never get the shell or the hardness of real seeds.

Finally, there is the chance that the “trait” for hermaphroditism happened to trigger on it as one of the myriad possible genetic makeups of the plant. For example, even though hermaphroditism is not a primary trait, it does live inside every cannabis plant as a “possible” outcome. It won’t happen often, but it does happen.

The bad news is, you’ve got seeds and it will lower the potency a bit. The good news is, if those seeds were the product of “self pollination” they will be feminized.

As always, there are those with more experience and knowledge than me.

1 Like

It’s been winter here nothing is pollinated I don’t have any out door plants to bring in the pollen from … anyway , I just thought I’d ask because I thought I had some nice sugar coated buds and all they are is balls of green seeds very disappointing I’ve never experienced this before in all my years . Owell first time for everything i guess Back to the drawing board I know its time to get some different seeds that’s for sure

As stated above, certain things you did different or had maybe happen a little different than past grows may have contributed to causing some of your buds to develop some hermaphrodite flowers. This is the most likely cause for the seeds.

Certain types of stress are more likely to cause this than others, the 3 that seem to be most prevalent is light pollution during the dark period, nute burn, and extreme pH. It isn’t necessarily the mother seed’s fault. However some strains may have a slightly higher chance of developing hermaphrodite flowers, like the old mexican strain Chronic for one, I used to get late stage hermi flowers on that strain all the time, lol, as well as a couple of other stains with heavy central mexico genetic heritage.

1 Like

@oldgoat
plants that are pollinated by a hermaphrodite male flower will not produce feminized seeds. :frowning:

If it was male, then hermaphrodite it will not produce feminized seeds. If it was female, then hermaphrodite it will produce feminized seeds.

I will admit that intersexing does produce predominantly female seeds, but a female plant that produces male flowers will still produce a few scattered males. To quote Jorge Cervantes:

Some growers intentionally use the pollen from intersex plants to fertilize females. They have found that the seeds and subsequent offspring produced from this union will be predominantly female. The major problem with this technique is that these plants will have intersex tendencies. By selecting parent plants that have intersex tendencies, we ensure that some of the progeny will also have intersex tendencies. Using pollen from an intersex or hermaphrodite plant is an intentional selection for intersexuality-like begets like.

Some seed companies market “feminized seeds” which are produced by collecting pollen from carefully selected, latent, stress-induced hermaphrodites, and use it to pollinate female plants. This process is time consuming and arduous, but yields mostly female plants when grown without stress. However, under the stresses that resulted in the intersexuality for the pollen parent, the progeny will often show some degree of intersexuality as well. Again, like begets like.

-Jorge Cervantes

If you want to create true feminized seeds without the tendencies of intersexuality, you will need to induce male flowers on a flowering female plant using silver thiosulfate. I believe that Robert Bergman has an article on this process in the guides section. I hope this clarifies my statement from earlier and also points out some of the inherent problems of intersexing.

2 Likes

I would also like to add; all plants have the potential to be a hermaphrodite. Just because a female plant grown from a feminized seed becomes a hermaphrodite, does not mean it was produced intersexually.