I have been having a real problem germinating seeds

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I have been having a real problem germinating seeds. Not getting them started but getting them ready for transplant. They die, get “leggy”, wilt, etc. I have wasted approx 12 seeds so far.
My setup uses rockwool and I have yet been unable to get them ready for real growth.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I don’t know if you have a hydro set up or not, but I have heard poor review about Rockwool cubes compared to starter cubes such as Root Riots, etc

1 Like

Please join the forum if you already haven’t. There are many staff and members here who will go out of their way to help you suceed. Post some pictures and supply more info so we can see what you may be doing wrong. I’ve had suceess with rockwool blocks and a few failures. My last grow I tried using a different seed starting system and had great sucess with it. You really need to wait for roots to come out of the bottom of the block before planting into something. I germinate using damp paper towels wrapping seeds and sealing inside a ziplock baggie. Put into a dark place like over the fridge in a cabinet for 2-3 days and this is what I had for results.
Seeds after 72 hrs in germination.

Then put into the seed starting system whcih you can find almost anywhere. This one expands into a bag and just wait for the root to show out the bottom which was a couple days. Put into they bag or block with the tap root facing down once the bag expands.

The next day they all were showing.

12 days after putting into my hydro system.


There is a lot of videos on you tube on how to germinate in rockwool. If you follow any of those exactly then you should have success.


Just tried it for the first time a couple days ago and it worked great. Just keep them moist. Not too wet.

What light are you using, you may have to get it closer as I look at your “oldest” plant, it looks like it’s getting a bit stretchy.

The first one was grown in the window for a week. I needed to babysit cuz I was getting white mold.

This is what I do and it works 100% everytime.
Take your seeds and place them on paper towel on a plate and cover with paper towel and use warm water and get the paper towel moist not soaking and place in a dark ware area don’t let the paper towel dry out or it can be another loss for you.
In about 24 hr. they will pop.
Once they have a good root started get your soil ready forget about the rookwool.
Your soil should be very very low in nutrients. Make little hole in the soil pour a little water in there and place your seed in and cover add just a little more water and your all set. when they pop the ground make sure your using t5s and bring the lights down say 6 inches from your plant and there you have it your problem is solved……

Have a great day