I have a plant that I just realized is ready to harvest, but wanted to "flush" with clean water first

I have this plant that I thought was close to harvest. I bought a jewlers loupe, and eventually saw that that one plant was very ready to harvest already, right after I had just watered it with nutes. I wanted to water with water with no nutes, right before harvest though, of course. I watered once with no nutes, then I decided to do a flush with clean water, or kinda a mini flush, as I was getting tired… I did that last night. Not sure how much more water than usual is considered a flush…!?! Never actually done a flush before, so not sure how much water is considered a flush… Not sure what I should do about that plant now? That plant does not need to mature any further, should not mature further, but it will some… I am certainly open to any ideas, that anyone might have… , I figured I should make a new topic, and see what ideas people might have about this problem,… and then maybe people would or could debate a little bit about what might be best to do, in a nice friendly way of course… (lol) I certainly am not sure the best thing to do in this situation! Could maybe raise the lights a little bit at a time, but that will make the soil take longer to dry out… Does that mean that will make the clean water take longer to get to the tops of the buds? Or I can move the plant away from the light a certain amount, which will also make the soil dry out slower, not sure if that would matter right before harvesting…? That would not effect the other two plants.though. I could also set the lights to be on for less time, but I do have those two other plants under those lights… Interesting problem to solve…

I suppose the main thing is for that clean water with no nutes in it to get from the roots, up to the tips of the buds farthest from the roots, and for that plant to mature more as little as possible… I wonder how long I should wait before harvesting now…? Any suggestions?

1 Like

A flush is 3x the planter size. If you have 5 gal containers, you will use 15 gals of water. If you have to harvest now, you cant flush. I grow in soil and my flush begins 2 weeks before harvest. Not sure what kind of setup you have, I hear hydro grows are different.

A picture would really help and are you looking at trics on bud and or the sugar leaves? Leaves ameber up quicker than buds.

3 Likes

What do your tricomes look like? Have they started to amber already? And are you doing hydro or soil or something else?

3 Likes

It is in soil… I am looking at the tops of the biggest, tallest buds… The trichromes are at least 30% amber on that one plant yesterday afternoon, maybe more already…

I do not have a smart phone right now, and can not put pics on here at the moment…

1 Like

It is in soil, mostly ffof…

1 Like

You can push it to 50% amber tricomes but you will have a couch lock high due to the high amber count, but I would rather flush and have tasty couch lock buds than bud that tastes like fertilizer. Do what noobie said and give them dark for the last three days to pull nutes from the buds to the roots for storage which helps flush the buds and cut it while it is still dark to ensure left over nutes stay stored in the roots.

4 Likes

@raustin or @garrigan62 we could use your soil expertise for a soil flush.

I’m a hydro guy so I don’t know the soil flushing process.

3 Likes

So, if I just watered it last night, when would I put it in the dark? Someone else that grows a lot of auto’s , which this plant is, said that putting it in the dark will make the trichromes mature even faster…, as it kinda shocks the plant???

1 Like

Wait for one of the 2 people I tagged, they are expert soil growers and one of them is just a full on expert period lol. They will take care of you and they usually respond rather quickly.

There she is!

2 Likes

Ok, so you want to flush before harvest. All you need to do is run water through the pot until your PPM is as close to 0 as you can get it.

5 Likes

What else do you want to know?

1 Like

He is at 30% ambers. Should he do a dark period for soil like hydro? I feel like dark period relates to both styles.

2 Likes

Yes, you can do a dark period of up to 72 hours before harvest. This works for soil, hydro, autos, or fems.

4 Likes

Anything else? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How long does it take to flush? Do you do it all at once and then go dark? Oh and do you check ppms in runoff?

1 Like

A flush usually takes me a couple of hours at least. It depends on how many nutes are in the soil. Also, using a flushing agent like Sledgehammer will speed the process.

4 Likes

If I watered or flushed, well… I did not flush it as much as u said to, but I did it last night… Watered 3 or 4 times more than usual… So since it is at at least 30% amber, now what would you do???

You can break up the flush into two smaller ones, it depends on how close you are to harvest.

Do the flushing first, then go dark.

Keep checking the PPM in the runoff to get it as low as you can.

2 Likes

Since he is at 30% Ambers can he do a 24 hour dark period and then chop?

2 Likes

At 30% amber, I would harvest within the week. I would do my flush tonight, then put her in darkness on Friday, and harvest next Sunday.

5 Likes