I have a mars hydro ts 1000 light

I have a mars hydro ts 1000 led light. Can I use this through my whole grow or do I need to get a different light for flowering and blooming?

1 Like

First timer grower here. I got the same light. I plan to used thru the entire process. So far Im in love with it.

1 Like

Mars recommends this light for a 2x2 space during flower. I think that is about right. It might be a little more effective in a slightly smaller space e.g. 18"x18" .
I would not try to flower in a space larger than 2x2.

4 Likes

Yep i agree with :point_up_2: above, the light is great just small as long as you don’t ask it to do more than it’s intended (2x2 footprint) to do it will work all the way from seed to weed

4 Likes

I have 2 ts1000 and one sp150 lighting a 3x4 tent.
They all have the same diodes. Not top shelf, but second shelf is ok with me.
I have grown several plants start to finish with no complaint. I routinely get a pound or just over.
Can fill the tent with just 2 plants tho last grow I did 4 plants and just started flowering earlier. Still got a pound. So the ts1000s do just fine. I may upgrade to better lights one day but im covering our needs just fine with the current setup.

6 Likes

In other words your grow space matches Mars’ recommended flower space.
Your 3x4 tent is 12 sq ft
each light’s recommended flower footprint is 2x2 = 4 sq ft X three lights = 12 sq ft

Total watt draw is 435 / 12 sq ft = 36.25 watts per sq ft.

3 Likes

Seems to work too. Passive cooling I dont use any venting. Because of the room the tent is in I dont have to zip up completely. So one clip on fan to keep some air movement and with the flaps open it stays within temp/humidity range just fine.
Knowing what I know now if I was to start over I would buy HLG lighting. But keeping the cost down helped the wife getting on board with the whole setup.

Set up like this

1 Like

This seems to be a perpetual concern of mine, as well lol.

2 Likes

I would think with that setup you also benefit from light overlap. I did the same thing in my 32"x72" closet.
I have three HLG 260 in it hung like you have your 150.

2 Likes

Im tent is a 2.3’×2.3’. I was just curious because I’ve seen alot of pics of people’s plants flowering and budding up with red lights or purple lights so wasn’t sure if there was something I didn’t know about. But thank u very much.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think multiple lights are better than one big single point source.
For a semi budget set up I do ok.
Its also just what came about as I bought all three lights to slowly replace 135w blurples.
I have one blurple set up in a cabinet to get seedlings and clones started. Can usually grow them about 3 weeks and then transplant into the tent. Gives me an overlap in timing.

1 Like

What is a light overlap?

Where the lighting overlaps from multiple sources

3 Likes

I gotcha appreciate it my dude

The overlap is the spill over from one light to the next. The lights recommended flower footprint may be 2x2 but it will light a larger area than that if allowed to.

3 Likes

I successfully grew one nice plant under a TS1000 in a 2x2x4.5 tent. My friend used the same in a 3x3, and he got a decent supply at of buds, but they were pretty “airy”.

That being said - I’ve been reading up on the “rock hard nugs” vs “airy buds” and honestly, it seems the main advantage of the “rock hard” is bag appeal. The weed itself apparently has the same effect, loose or tight.

I put a 300w light in for my second grow, hopefully it will make a positive difference.
I found that info to be encouraging.

3 Likes

I like your diagram much more than my lame explanation. Power to Venn

2 Likes

Last thing. If you are interested in learning more about light spectrum and plants’ (cannabis) responses to various wavelengths, check out anything from Dr Bruce Bugbee. This is one of many videos on light and growing cannabis in general

4 Likes

Wow…A physics class flashback. :rofl:
And I was thinking my illustration was lame compared to yours. :vulcan_salute:

i hope it wad good one

2 Likes