I definitely think coco is not for me

Sickly plants are a nightmare, discolouration between veins, waxy leaves, brown spots, yellow spots, canoeing leaves, so far I’ve had the lot with no signs of things improving :weary:

1 Like

They look fine to me.

4 Likes

@Covertgrower if only lol, I can’t seem to get the ph under control and I really think that’s the main issue causing all other problems. I put 5.8 in but the run off is 6.2 without fail, so I guess my plants aren’t taking in the nutes that are soluble at the lower end ph. I’m gonna stick with them until the end but man it’s been a headache the last two weeks.

1 Like

Are you using cal-mag? Coco needs additional cal-mag and you’re seeing a calcium deficiency.
Looks like you’re doing good on the ph. I shoot for 6.0.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m using calmag 1ml per litre currently, would it hurt to add a little more? Thanks for reply btw

2 Likes

The old growth won’t change, watch for new growth. I think that amount you should be okay. Watch for deficiencies in the new growth. If they look like the bottom leaves then you’ll need to increase it.
Anytime!

5 Likes

I’ll see what the newer growth looks like over the next 3 or 4 days, appreciate the advice

Did you buffer your coco before using it?

1 Like

Hi, I did yes. I’m using Canna coco which I’m told is pre buffered but on the advice of others I washed it until it ran clear then mixed a huge bucket of coco, perlite, p.H 6 water and calmag at 1ml per litre let it sit for 24 hours and used if from there. Thanks for reply.

1 Like

What lights are you running? High intensity lights make the girls calcium hungry. What does your package recommend? Mine would be 5 ml/gallon at your size (GH). I would also use cal mag on water-only days, assuming you are on a feed/water/feed/water cycle. Monitoring runoff to time flushes doesn’t hurt. 6.2 out is not bad and should not cause any lockouts.

As stated above that plants look pretty good and you are likely just being hyper-observant: one of those ‘helicopter parents’ lol. It’s all good.

If you aren’t following a coco growers’ journal I would strongly suggest you do so.

5 Likes

It does look ph related. How ever. having really high or low run off numbers ph wise will not always tell you the whole story. I have 2 plants going in at 5.8 and coming out in the 7s for 2 plants right now. If you start chasing numbers to much. it can really mess you up. As long as your plant is doing good. You are fine.

My question would be what water are you using. Our super high ppm Tap water did the same to me in my first grow. Once I got that straightened out I was good. Lack of cal mag will give me a similar look as yours. but a lighter green. not brown. if you want a do over. I would run about a gallon and a half in each pot. then not feed or water them for 2 days. Start again on the 3rd day. just how I would go about it. They will dry out just a little. And be ready to gobble up what ever you give them next :grin:

4 Likes

How many times a day are you feeding?

2 Likes

3x 600w Mars hydro led running them 3ft above as I was told led can be quite intense on the plants. I’m mixing calmag in feed and watering now but only been doing that the past 2 days. And I agree I’m probably over parenting them :joy::joy: I’ll take a look at the journal thanks.

2 Likes

They do seem to be growing OK, just gets a bit scary seeing all the discolouration and spots turning up week after week. I’m currently using filtered water at around 280ppm this gives me 650-700 pmm once all my nutes are in. I’m awaiting delivery on an R/O setup but this damn virus has everything running so slowly.

I will keep an eye on the new growth over the next week and if the spotting moves up I guess hitting reset is the best option, as half the plants have spotting and the other half have strange texture and very dark green leaves, they almost look wet ata a glance. Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Was once a day but I’ve upped it to twice a day with a watering inbetween due to the temperature here currently, could it be the volume of water I’m running through them? 19l pots running a litre through them every feed and watering.

No, coco is meant to be kept wet. At that stage I’m feeding twice a day , and in flower I up it to 3 times a day with 20% run off each time. Biggest issues I’ve seen with coco is when I wasn’t feeding often enough. I had to change my mindset to think like a hydro grower. In hydro those roots are in nutrient rich water all the time and can feed whenever the plants need. Coco is the same.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve grown once before in soil, just one plant though and getting my head in the coco game is polar opposite.

Im probably getting more run off than that so I reign that in a bit, suppose it save wasting nutrients.

2 Likes

Get yourself a VPD chart and if it’s hot out, cut nutes by 1/3 to account for increased transpiration.

2 Likes

I will bet you may find this is your issue right here. That is pretty hard water. That is what did the same to my first grow. if it were me. I would go get a 5 gallon bottle of ro water and mix it 50/50 with the tap to at least cut that down some. I use GH nutes and they have hard water micro to deal with numbers like yours

2 Likes