I can't fail again part II

Did you get that microscope?

I think you were a little confused about what the trichomes actually are; earlier you referred to the pistils instead of the trichomes. The pistils are the “hairs” that protrude from the calyxes of the “female” cannabis flowers. Trichomes are small, glandular structures that coat the flowers, and sometimes the leaves around the flowers. They give the entire flower that frosty white appearance.

The pistil is just a sex organ. It starts out white, and changes to brown (or red, yellow, purple, etc) upon pistil maturity. That doesn’t mean the plant is ready for harvest, but it’s an indicator that you should begin checking the trichome appearance (again, for clear/cloudy/amber ratios).

There are lots of photos of trichomes if you google. There’s also a ton of bad information because the internet is unfiltered…

You are not the only one to resort to that trick. What ever works. You should post a picture of those big girls.

@KeystoneCops I love trichome pictures. Here are a couple near harvest

this is a pic of the trichombs as i understand them to be… these are taken with my ipad and loop held to it so they are not the best of pics
yes i have a jewelers loop that i am using to look at them with. the pistils are still white just starting to see a few amber ones.

1 Like

You’ll want to photograph them under natural light instead of blurples. Common mistake.

dang sorry, i will have to take more

1 Like

No worries! You’re on track.

Like Danny Danko says, when you think the buds are done, wait another week.

tricomb reg light

Uploading: pistils which i don’t see many is that a concern at all? IMG_8116.JPG…

1 Like

Looking good, but to my eye it’s mostly clear. I see only 2 trichomes showing a hint of amber. Some going cloudy. Remember to look at a few locations on the plant.

yes, i am looking several places and i agree i don’t see much in the tricombs they look mostly clear. i haven’t seen many cloudy ones i am waiting for 90% to 100% cloudy before harvest. trying to keep amber out of the equation

1 Like

I’d urge you to leave at least a little bit on the lower portion of the plant and let it go 50% amber. Take the top, but leave something to harvest later for comparison.

THAT’s A GREAT IDEA!!! I think i might do that.

1 Like

@beardless @KeystoneCops @dbrn32
Ok i am pre prepping for the next grow. Can i ask your help for what i need to make my grow better next time. i have been reading alot on the forum especially a grow journal on purple haze and i think DB you helped Mr Spy out a lot, and i learned a lot by reading through a bunch of that. My next grow will be 1 single purple haze. I am wanting the most quality yield i can produce. i like to go over what i have and what i need for my next grow. I have learned alot on this grow and i thank all of you for it.

I have a
36x36x72 vivosun grow tent
Phlizon CREE Cob Series 1000W led pland grow light 250watt
i have an fan one that isolates and one that is stationary
no exhaust
i am using a stone natural whater humidifer but i wasn’t happy with performance was expecting more for the water it used
i didn’t know about mircal grow until it was to late. will not do that again.
i use nutes from ILGM

Here are some of the issues i uncovered over this grow.
the light is good, but could be better.
i need to train and trim
the heat in the tent was very hard to control. the tent is in my closet. I plan to move it out to my bedroom for the next grow.

what can u suggest to help my next grow go better.
i am going to get FF ocean for the soil and i am going to add perilite to it.
i am also going with a 10 gallon vivosun grow bag
please help.

2 Likes

You want the whole truth, or you want easy improvement?

1 Like

And how much can you justify spending?

1 Like

I think someone is going to recommend a light upgrade.

1 Like

Always. But he (big country) managed to make the current lights work. He could do better just by training the plant. This grow isn’t over yet, and hopefully when we compare harvest to his consumption over cycle time, he has more than enough to get through another cycle without buying flowers.

1 Like

thats my goal. I want just enough to get me through the next harvest. i want honest truth @dbrn32. i am not made of money. I am not sure how much i can spend on this next grow. the boss hasnt given me an allowance so that i am playing by ear. At best what can i do on a budget to improve.
Yes I think the one light will do ok, it has a secondary light on it, it gives it more strength, i turned that off during flower i wasn’t sure if i should have left it on or not. thats another questions i was going to ask.

1 Like

You could run this same gear again, making the changes you mentioned (training and heat management). If you improve your harvest in your next run, you‘ll know it was due to your actions instead of throwing money at the problem.

A more efficient light would be awesome, but also those phlizon lights won’t last forever. You’ll replace them eventually.

1 Like

Thats a great idea, thanks for that advice. And when that light decides its time has come to shine its last light, you mention hlg 100 and another one i want to say 286. for this tent and one plant do you think the 100 3000k will be enough?

1 Like