I believe I have spider mites. Please, help me

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

I believe I have spider mites. Can I use Ortho 3in 1 to get rid of them. I need an easy fix. This is my first grow. Help. I don’t want the girl to die.

1 Like

Jak je stará holka?

How old is she?

Most growers on this site use Neem Oil . Since your plant is meant for human consumption you want to be careful what you use. The neem oil is safe for you and your plant. sticky strips maybe. You can also put some DE on top of the soil.
@Countryboyjvd1971 @garrigan62

6 Likes

Good suggestions by @Sasquatch
The neem oil can be used but is reported to leave harsh taste and residue on buds if not washed thoroughly after. Not recommended for use in late flower
I have used this with success… Food grade plant oil based miticide that leaves no residue and needs no re-entry time in controlled environments. Like i said Its a food grade soloution that can be sprayed up until harvest day. Alot of people sware by it. And it smells really good… its ingriedients are geraniol, peppermint oil, cottonseed oil, rosemary oil, and canola oil. Might wanna look into it. Are you in veg or flower ?

3 Likes

@garrigan62 has a recipe fir mites made with chili powder and tobacco juice
You definitely don’t want to use a product that is not food grade
@BIGE may have a copy of it also if my memory seeves me correctly

2 Likes

here is a post from Will @garrigan62

13 Likes

Yayyyyy i still have a memory lol thanks brother @BIGE

4 Likes

YW @Countryboyjvd1971 no problem!

2 Likes

I’ve had good results with food grade de. There’s also some stuff you can buy on Amazon called SNS 209. That’s a systemic application. De you just sprinkle around the top of the soil. Plus you can get a good size bag pretty cheap. Good luck enjoy your grow

1 Like

A solution of 25% rubbing alcohol in water, sprayed or basted onto every part of the plant will dry out eggs; do it every other day until no more eggs are around. I did this to some 2 week old seedlings, 3 times in one week, without causing any issues. The alcohol dries out the eggs, killing the babies inside.

Use de around your grow room, and on top of the soil, as well.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I did not know about the rubbing alcohol mix. If I ever need to I will try that sometime. Thanks for sharing. I’m putting it in my little notebook now.

1 Like

This piece says add the alcohol at about 10% to the water. If you read a few others, it seems 10-25% is the min-max you want to use.

3 Likes

just used this hot shot for a week and used both neem oil and the mite-a-cide both as a spray and as a soil drench. If you check out my grow journal i have more details. Just got rid of them.
Didnt use this time but I have in gardens for years. soak a few ciggs/boil them let cool get tobaccoo out of liquid use as a spray or soil drench. Kills and repels.

6 Likes

I know this is an old thread. I thought I might add. I have used Captain jacks dead bug recently and it worked great. It is safe to use in flower as well, just try not to soak the colas. I found on my plants. The mites tend to stay on the larger fan leaves. I never found any on a sugar leaf. I had to use it a few times but it took care of my problem. I also use a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water. It is said to kill mites and there eggs on contact. I only used that for when I found a mite or 2 after the captain jacks for stragglers. I took a bowl with the 50/50 mix, dipped my fingers in it and wiped down the leaves I found a mite one. Worked very well for me. For thrips. I used a few drops of dawn dish washing liquid and water. it got rid of the thrips in one spraying. I just figured if some one else happened on this thread. That may help them as well. I copied the list above. Thank you for posting it @BIGE and @garrigan62 for creating it

4 Likes

@Not2SureYet ,captian jacks works well… it is good to use in flower like you said…lol
always good to have a number of defenses against bugs…

I dont understand the alchol on a flowering plant because when i need to clean my siccors or fingers after trimming alchol takes the resin and oils and stickness off of anything it touches. Does it not break down tricomes

1 Like

@Sirsmokes yes alcohol is not good to use on colas. I read it was recommended only to use while you were in veg and lightly. I just use it my self after i have used the captain jacks. I just give a quick wipe to the leaf I see a mite on. I don’t spray it on. I have only had to use it that way a couple times. Captain jacks killed just about every thing. I have only seem mites on my fan leaves when I had them. I am glad to be rid of them though. I wiped the whole tent down with alcohol when I finished my last grow.

1 Like

I was curious however you are not the only person i have seen use it. Someone else (i forget who) said they use it because it evoperates quick. But thank you for clearing that up

1 Like

you can buy them cheaper …but

https://www.amazon.com/Koppert-Biological-Systems-SPIDEX-Phytoseiulus/dp/B078YCV2RR

2 Likes

I’ve got spider mites. They came in on a store bought rosemary plant. Hard lesson to learn. I’m going to make the tobacco water, add 2 tbsp of dawn dish soap, and add some alcohol too since I’m in veg. Then spray them down in the shower.

Do you guys think I should wait 2 hours then rinse them off with plain water?