I ask you ,"how long?"

The youngest of the 4 indoors…Miss 2-11 has been flowering the longest,I spotted her first white hair on 4/20 ish.
Since then we’ve been through an EC correction and some LST involving light to moderate defoliation of fan leaves in the shade,unhealthy leaves,and some lower bud sites as the older sisters played catch up which they actually haven’t “Caught Up” but have begun flowering in earnest and were running a flower spectrum @ 90%.
Well I was doing the feeding this morning early and decided to take a better look at Miss 2-11 with that
poor excuse for a digital microscope/camera and believe that I am seeing cloudy trichomes but the quality of photo I am able to capture is compromised to where I can not say for certain.
So I ask you this , 1) What does it appear to you the state of the trichomes are in and typically(and I am aware we are speaking " IN GENERAL.") how long does it take for trichomes on a WWA to go to cloudy from clear and then to amber?
Days,weeks? And at what point do we start flushing and perform uvb exposure?
I was planning preliminarily to begin on the 27th-28th of May but depending on what I hear from you guys/gals.
Obviously we know it is “us” that are on “their schedule.” But that’s what my limited knowledge lead me to conclude…

They’re definitely cloudy. However, these look like trichomes on a sugar leaf, rather than bud trichomes. Bud trichomes can be hard to capture because, in my experience, the leaves really like to get in the way. Bud trichs are often much less mature than sugar leaf trichs, and the bud is what we want to evaluate because that’s the part you’ll be smoking.

No such general. Clear → cloudy → amber is based on light, air, genetics, nutrient availability, and so on.

I never bother flushing, but “two weeks out” is a good time. As far as UVB exposure, I’d say whenever you want but in very controlled and short doses

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed is the trichomes in my photo that appear to be cloudy are oriented in such a way that you are looking straight down the shaft so to speak.
But the trichomes we appear to be viewing from the side appear to be clear .
I suspect because you’re looking through the thinnest cross section of the trichome.
Again the quality of the photo leaves something to be desired,I think I see cloudy ones from the side but I can’t be sure it’s not the result of the lighting/camera,etc.

1 Like

you’re absolutely correct on sugar leaf trichomes so you just put me at ease from the “uneasy unpleasant surprise” feeling I had going on,not because it would have meant bumping up the schedule but because I am just starting to feel like I am getting a feel for the plants and their nuances as well as our processes as they enslave our efforts and punish us when we pay not enough attention and that line is ,for me atleast , dangerously close to the line of " paying too much attention."
And being wholly unqualified to do so.

1 Like

Two weeks out from what specifically?
Remember ,you’re talking to a guy who has never done this before.
I take it to mean that you would perform those tasks (if you did so.) when you’re at roughly 25-35% amber?
Again ,I am just guessing based on what I have heard and read, not what I have done.
What I have done is another story,
and she was always a great neighbor and very appreciative of my generosity with the Tomato’s from my garden.

Two weeks out from your projected date of harvest. This is why I don’t flush - I can’t accurately guess when my plant will be done - largely, I don’t keep track of flowering times. It’s just not how my brain is wired, can’t be made to care. She will tell me when she’s done, so I just wait to listen for that. (Aka see the trichomes on the buds where I’d like them, which is mostly cloudy, some amber).

I would probably begin flushing at 30% clear 70% cloudy.

I would begin UVB treatments as soon as the midpoint through flower, since it’s supposed to aid in trichome development (strategic stress).

1 Like

Amen to that. I have had plants of the same seed pack vary by weeks as far as harvest time.

3 Likes

which is why i’m really asking what it is i should be looking for.

what conditions(appearances) would you consider an indication of halfway through?

My method is when most(80%+) pistils(hairs) turn brown/red, I focus my magnifier on a bud where the pistil comes out of the calyx. Check several areas on the plant. If most of the trichomes are cloudy then I am “in the window” for harvest. That is about 2 weeks where the THC is highest. During that 2 weeks, earlier harvest for head high and later for couch-lock.

2 Likes

Personally like a little of both

1 Like

ty all for your patience ,I seem to be a little relentless…
occasionally,just don’t want to monkey it up…

1 Like

Nah, just thorough. :+1: :wink:

1 Like

These are not real clear or real good but you can see where I centered the actual calyx where the hair emerges.

This is one of the buds.

This one is getting the chop in about 10 days.

5 Likes

Best method for harvesting, I believe.

5 Likes

And I’m certain I will know when she’s done thanks to all of you,however my challenge is knowing when there is 3 weeks to go so i can flush/starve and expose the unlucky to uvb.

2 Likes

Wow. We are twins. Working or not working. Ready or not ready. Off to my normal planet. Or IS IT normal?

If this helps flushing/darkness/stress are firmly in 2 even camps. Some of us believe just no gain. Others see improvements. 1 week typically wont turn a harvest sedative. Start at 90/10 cloudy to clear. if wanna flushem and will be in the window all the way through. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

90 cldy,10 clear/flush.
10-4 ty.

wont let me like…srry

1 Like