I am in the process of growing my first plants out of door

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I am in the process of growing my first plants out of doors, hoping to harvest them in September. Here on Cape Cod the conditions seem just perfect and my plants are doing very well. Soon I will be transferring the big one to the south facing ground and will do the same with the small ones that I have grown from seed. Since we are close to the ocean, the humidity tends to be on the high side. The wind can be strong so I will enclose the youngish plants with a burlap surround. (Right now they are sitting in two large plastic tubs to ‘harden them up’, as my sister says. I have read that the plants will begin to go to flower once the days get shorter and the nights get longer. At that time I will be sure to harvest well before the first frost.
Let me know if you have any more tips. I am all set on the watering and feeding them.
Thanks again,
Janet

1 Like

Hey Janet. I think you are doing it the right way. They indeed will bloom when the days start getting shorter. Just be patient and it will happen. Sounds like you have a beautiful place to grow.

Growing on the cape as well, this is my second year and the weather here does seem to be great so far for the ladies to thrive, last year many growers on cape had issues with bud rot due to all the rain and humidity we had in August/ September last year. The cape is SO DAMP you might want to consider thinning your girls out for great air flow and make sure they get a ton of morning sun to dry out the ocean mist that settles on the plants overnight
Have a great summer😀