I am a new grower seeking advice for my new baby

I’m a new grower, and a poor one at that. So I cant afford some of the nice setups up I read and see photos about around here. So I want to make sure all is OK or if there action I can take without having to buy anything else (Thats how poor I am).

I assume weed called Reggie from what i read has mix meanings. More often its what cheap weed is called that is rushed into production without much regard to quality. So rapid dehydration of the harvest. I dun know if thats what you would call reggie. but often enough when buying some of them would have seeds still all up in them I collected a bit of them.

Even know im sure most maybe destroyed in processing. But I got a lucky seedling where there isnt anything else in the 12 slot tray I got.

I started with a cheap seed starting potting mix by american seed. Dollar store stuff. I bet there some cringing going on. but im poor. So that means i got no stuff to check or change pH levels and so forth. I know i should but again. poor. I plan to work on that over time getting the right tools and plant food good for my plants (i know not just any is good, i have been trying to read up).

But being a new grower I like to see what regulars think of my plant, if its just having a rough time or is something wrong happening and should i make a adjustment.

I did get some Dual Head LED Grow Lights, (10W) Small but where cheap and i can bend and adjust the lamp heads. They seem to work pretty good. Things where looking great but I think i may have some light burn so I made changes to how close the light. So its not as close now.

I noticed the seedling Jan 21, 2017 So I decided thats when it was born (Picture taken 2:30PM).

I was happy to see how quick its growing with the cheap crap i was growing it with. Here another picture same day at 8:44PM. Already starting to stand up in no time. Am i stupid to feel like a happy dad about this? lol

Anyways, here it is the 29th early morning, and The leafs look little bleached out and brown on the tips (very little) in some places. Non of my good cameras got a charge so its hard to take a detailed photo without a flash over exposed very close but I feel its light burn and taken action on that but want to make sure its not anything else and I’m taking the action i need to take already.

Thanks ahead of time.

@reggie, hey welcome to the community and I hope.i speak for everyone when I say you are in the right place and are in good hands. I’m on my second grow, I was a lot like you my first grow. I didn’t have much moneu, so I bought a cheap 150w hps light, I was using a spare closet 9nly thing I did was try to supplement light by adding foil to the wall around the closet. I used a 2 or 3 gallon self watering plastic pot with some miracle grow potting soil and some nutrients I picked up cheap and quick also miracle grow brand.

My first set up

This was my first girl, notice the light burn on the tips, she grew a little more than usual and I didn’t move up the light in time. Mistakes happen, they are gonna happen, but with help from here you will make it through.

This was her right before she started flowering(pre-flower I believe), as you can see she had 4 main bud sites, she was topped and fimmed a little (accidently), but it was later on in the grow.

Little buds were starting to show up everywhere

Then tragedy struck, a time never shut off a little heater I had goin because it got.cold in there while the lights were off and fried her. Very sad loss, but the knowledge I gained from here and from the people was invaluable. The plant was from some bag seed, great top shelf bag, I believe it might of been an og kush or a sativa dominate I believe, but anyway it could of easily just been a male and would of been taken out a week earlier so I took the whole experience as a positive. You can grow with the bare necessities and still have beautiful looking plants. I learned I should of started training her earlier haha

These are my new babies

Oh boy @Hawkeye_diesel your looked allot more mature than mine. when it was lost. I hope that dont happen to mine. I be so devastated because lately the stuff i been buying they been pre picking the seeds lately. damn bastards… lol

The price on some seeds are just so beyond what I can spend during the winter time. Only place i could maybe order from it maybe WMS’ Cheap seed options.

But do you agree its maybe too much light?

it looks ok from what i can see. i am not sure but the brown spots on the leaves may be a part od the seed shell that needs to fall off. i dont think that those lights are strong enough to burn them but i think you would be much better off using a basic cfl type light bulb and lamp rather then the l.e.d’s you have on them right now. you can add them later on when it gets bigger but for right now i would get yourself some type of cfl set up. (cfl is nothing but a basic household light bulb) since you cannot afford much, you might also want to buy a gallon of distilled water from the store for a dollar to use for watering since you cannot test ph. i am also a new grower as well and have a decent grow set up but i do not have a way to check ph but just use distilled water and have not had an issue yet…nock on wood… anyways just keep a good eye on it until it shows its sex.but here are my babies

1 Like

@pbs86 thanks for the advice on the water. I just been stealing the spring water we get for drinking because i don’t trust tap. but I will switch if thats the consents here.

added this here thanks to reply limits (Thats a annoying rule… if it looses its effectiveness after a day i think the message said…)

Roger on the lights, and ill look into it. But i will say these LEDs i got do get pretty damn bright, and keeping my hand close to it for couple minutes i do feel heat, and when i have the dome on, there always a clear circle where moisture wont form where the light is directed but some light moisture is else where all over the dome.

I dont have a measuring stick hand, if i had to hazard a guess the lights about the length of a typical soda can above the plant before, which is about a little bit above the dome when its on.

Strain; No idea for sure.
Soil: seed starting potting mix by american seed [contents as package states: Sphagnum peat, horticultural vermiculite, perlite, and wetting agent.]

System type?
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? na

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: none used outside the potting mix

Indoor or Outdoor: indoor

Light system, size? Dual LED Grow lamps 10W. Height: 19" , Clamping range up to 2.75" , Cord length: 57"

Temps: The temps comfy, It can get kinda nippy at night around 65’F and around the 70s during the day but i have a heating pad under the setup, and have no idea how warm but its not too hot to the touch, a lukewarm feel, if i had to guess around the high 70s low 80s.

Humidity; Day, Night: have no idea. pretty sure its pretty low thanks to winter time, and heating here is electric which drys the air. I tend to do a mix of dome and no dome. I mostly leave the dome on during the night to hold warmth and moisture, and off during the day to get good fresh air from the fan.

Ventilation system; Its not really enclosed in anything, and the dome isnt a perfect seal but i have a fan on low to give a nice breeze. its just a small fan but moves good air.

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: AC is off, dont have ether of the others.

Co2; no

Think i filled this out best as i know too.

1 Like

spring water should be alright as well as long as it dont have any additives. try to get some cfl type light and it should take off. you can keep a cfl really close to the plant. like 2- 4 inches.

My suggestion would be when you get $10-$12 buy a PH meter. PH is so important and if it’s off, you’ll struggle the entire grow. Maybe a couple CFL’s too as you come across them. They are normally 24w, so double your grow lights.

Keep us updated :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Reggie, how far away from the light is the little sprot? It doesn’t sound like it would be light burn, I agree with what @pbs86 said, is it part of the shell of the seed.or the actual leaf? It may be discolored because it has been in the shell, keep am eye on it an see if color returns to it. What type.of soil, do you have the bag still or the ingredients in it? Might be helpful to fill out a “support ticket” to get you movin in the right direction. I’ll post below.

"Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you"

Definitely going to need more light cfls are cheap good advise @Matthew420
And a support ticket would be best

2 Likes

I understand money issues. Just ideas as you are able to upgrade. The CFL’s are for veg (6500k) for flower you’d want to swap out for 2700K.

https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Splitter-Approved-Lighting-AGG813/dp/B005TIDDLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485704953&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=Light+socket+splitter&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Luxrite-Equivalent-Incandescent-Daylight-Standard/dp/B0155E0J6K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1485705003&sr=8-16&keywords=6500+cfl

Ugh, Robot check. Link still works though.

Hi @Reggie and welcome to ILGM forum :person_raising_hand: :innocent: :v: I ear you when you talk about been poor and on a tight budget, I am on one too and understand what you’re going through :innocent:

For now your light may seem to do the work, however, in a week, maximum two, you’ll need to upgrape them or take the chance to loose your plant in a very near futur. Cfl with fixture that @Matthew420 suggest is a great start and if you want more yielding for your bucks, you should consider to invest between 50$ and 70$ on a good LED light, one I can suggest is that one :

http://www.amazon.com/Morsen-Spectrum-Growing-Germinating-Flowing/dp/B016VVUGIW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1485711134&sr=8-5&keywords=ufo+led+grow+light/?tag=greenrel-20

Or this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Specturm-Greenhouse-Flowering-Growing/dp/B01EATOVIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485711364&sr=8-1&keywords=ufo+king+plus+led+grow+light/?tag=greenrel-20

And if you’re handy and you’re best friend with an electrician you can build one with LED grow light chips or LED grow light strip, for between 35$ and 50$, just search for it on amazon.com and YouTube for how to build led grow light.

Hoping that you’ll find this helpful :innocent: :v:
Niala

1 Like

@Reggie, I have the Morrison 150w ufo one that @Niala suggested in my box now. I am pretty pleased with it an my little ladies seem to love it

2 Likes

Nice setting @Hawkeye_diesel :+1::ok_hand::v:

Thanks @Niala. It’ll work till my tent gets here then I can start using my bubble boys and maybe a couple in some plastic pots in soil or soilless for a comparison, between using the same nutrients, but different types of growing.

Roger on the lights, and ill look into it. But i will say these LEDs i got do get pretty damn bright, and keeping my hand close to it for couple minutes i do feel heat, and when i have the dome on, there always a clear circle where moisture wont form where the light is directed but some light moisture is else where all over the dome.

I dont have a measuring stick hand, if i had to hazard a guess the lights about the length of a typical soda can above the plant before, which is about a little bit above the dome when its on.

Strain; No idea for sure.
Soil: seed starting potting mix by american seed [contents as package states: Sphagnum peat, horticultural vermiculite, perlite, and wetting agent.]

System type?
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? na

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: none used outside the potting mix

Indoor or Outdoor: indoor

Light system, size? Dual LED Grow lamps 10W. Height: 19" , Clamping range up to 2.75" , Cord length: 57"

Temps: The temps comfy, It can get kinda nippy at night around 65’F and around the 70s during the day but i have a heating pad under the setup, and have no idea how warm but its not too hot to the touch, a lukewarm feel, if i had to guess around the high 70s low 80s.

Humidity; Day, Night: have no idea. pretty sure its pretty low thanks to winter time, and heating here is electric which drys the air. I tend to do a mix of dome and no dome. I mostly leave the dome on during the night to hold warmth and moisture, and off during the day to get good fresh air from the fan.

Ventilation system; Its not really enclosed in anything, and the dome isnt a perfect seal but i have a fan on low to give a nice breeze. its just a small fan but moves good air.

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: AC is off, dont have ether of the others.

Co2; no

Think i filled this out best as i know too.

(posted late thanks to the site limits on new users -.- )
Also on a related note I am noticing some new leafs forming on my plant. So I feel happy its still going. i hope i dont loose it.

When you say PH is NA, do you know the PH of the water your feeding with?

I think the way it’s worded makes it sound like just runoff PH vs. watering PH.

i just copy pasted what to fill out. its format wasn’t perfect filling out. but no idk the Ph. I been just using spring water. no tap.

Probably want to invest in a PH meter. PH is so important. Most spring water has a PH below what you want…

its on the list, but its on the bottom under everyday living cost. which is very limited during the winter and summer when my heating or AC has to run. Only fall and spring my electric bill is soo low i have wiggle room to invest in the setup.