Humidity problems upon install Humidifier

Process of setting up tent before I can actually put any plants in my 3 x 5 Tent. Now that I got my temps dialed in I putting in my TaoTronics Humidifier. My exhaust fan is 435 CFM and I have two passive intakes open. The tent sets in my garage and I am also venting just to the garage. Temps in garage today are 50 degrees. That temp is outside the tent! The temp in my tent is at 75 degrees with Humidity of around 30 degrees. I am also running variable speed controller and have it set at the lowest dial setting, turned of the exhaust fan, and even turned the exhaust fan on highest setting and the RH stays at a lower temp of 21 degrees. Thinking about blocking one of the two passive vents on each side of tent. But figured I would ask for suggestions. I am waiting on a humidity controller that turns off/turn on the exhaust fan to regulate the RH also. But wondering if that will okay to use. I do have the TaoTronics that I can set the desired humidity also. Just wondering what all thinks. Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Digital-Pre-wired-Humidity-Controller/dp/B01FQKXRXA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?tag=ilovegrowingm-20

What is in the tent causing it to be 25° hotter than the garage?

My HID setup would be my guess. Running a air cooled canopy with 400 w MH for veg to test everything b4 grow. Have a 600 w HPS awaiting for flowering

I went through same thing, easy fix. Big bucket of water with rag hanging on it. Works like a charm :+1::+1:

1 Like

@Dutchem To tag someone in a post do what I did with your forum name.

I made the assumption that your tent is 7 feet tall, with that assumption I calculated your tent cubic feet to be 105. So you do not need to run full speed to meet the rule of thumb to exchange the air in the tent 1 time per minute. Even at the lower rate it sounds like you are exchanging air fast enough to lower your humidity level.

If you purchase the ink bird you will be running the same setup I currently run. I run a variable speed controller using an ink bird. My tent temp is 73 degrees F and my humidity is where I want it. Do you have any plants in your tent? They will help raise the humidity level also. Like @Sutton said there are other ways to control the humidity I just wanted to have more control. I am very pleased with my ink bird and would purchase again. If you get one let me know I’d be glad to help you get it set up.

This is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FQKXRXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m running same system different name :slight_smile: works like a charm :+1::+1:

@Bubblehead Just checked it again after being gone for a few hours. When I left the house I had set the variable speed controller at the lowest setting. The inside tent temp was holding at 75 degrees with a RH of 25. Checking it now my temp outside the tent in the garage reads 54 degrees and RH of 35 degrees. Inside the temp now is 79 degrees with a RH of 21 degrees. Still confused on how to raise that RH and keep the around 75 degrees or slightly higher. I did set the TaoTronics humidifier at 55 degrees. Expected to rise not go lower. LOL
Going to try running it again full at (exhaust) and will get back to you guys. Thanks so much. Definitely take you up if having problems installing the controller. I bought the same one you have. Saw you had recommended on a previous post

1 Like

@Sutton But are you running a programable humidifier like I am. I just figured that would do the trick. And I did do a bowl of water with a rag inside the tent. Rag is not hanging but in the water instead. Was no change whatsoever. Actually it is still in the tent

Try decreasing your fan’s power & definitely block off an intake vent. Also, remember that once you have plants in there, the humidity will go up a little bit.

I have 2 tents connected together, using one vent system. I use a humidifier. Currently, our home’s humidity is at 37%, but my grow tents are running at about 55%-60%. I have 2 intake vents open, out of 8.

@blackthumbbetty Had two passive vents open one on each side. Closed the one on the side of exhaust fan. Will up the controller to higher setting and see if I can dial it in. Learned that when I have plants in the tent humidity definitely will go up. Just figured it wouldn’t go lower though. Lol.
Thanks

1 Like

Ok I just changed it over to about 3/4 full exhaust. Noticed that RH was now 25 and Temp 79 degrees. Will
get with the new numbers. Hopefully much higher

I have 2 humidity gauges set at 20 inches below the lights. That is were I am measuring everything. I just put a gauge on top of the light canopy to see the reading there. Thoughts?

Rag needs to be acting as a wick, 2/3 in water 1/3 out :+1:

@sutton Ok thanks I will do that…

Lower the power of your exhaust fan. You’re just sucking all the humidity right out of your tent.

1 Like

Did full exhaust like recommended and my numbers are

Garage temps are at 59 degrees and RH 41 degrees
20" below the lights are temps of 75 degrees and RH 26 degrees
Temps above the canopy are 61 degrees and RH 49 degrees

@blackthumbbetty I’m confused I guess read this wrong from you?

Try decreasing your fan’s power & definitely block off an intake vent. Also, remember that once you have plants in there, the humidity will go up a little bit.

I have 2 tents connected together, using one vent system. I use a humidifier. Currently, our home’s humidity is at 37%, but my grow tents are running at about 55%-60%. I have 2 intake vents open, out of 8.

@blackthumbbetty Wondering why temps and RH are different at top of the light canopy vs the temps that were taken 20 inches below the light? Could it be because I haven’t hooked up the ducting from the 6 inch outlet on lights to carbon filter that sets on the very top of the tent. Because it’s sucking everything out at the light and it’s sitting at it’s lowest in the tent?

That humidity needs to be up in the 40’s, minimum, for veg. Though 50-60% in veg is even better. Once plants are in your tent, they won’t add much humidity, themselves, until they’re several weeks old.

Do you have a small fan circulating air inside your tent?

Remember, warm air rises. Warm air also causes evaporation.