Humidifier mist through canopy?

I have to use a humidifier as part of ny sytem and with the size of my plants now maxing out my tent, the humidifiers mist is visually blowing through the top canopy. (Where my buds are!)

I keep humidity between 45 and 55. As you can see in the pic, (humidifier is bottom right) the red arrows show most of the mist go up and into the fan to be dispersed. But the blue line shows how some of the mist just creeps over my little barrier and then into the nearby canopy.

The plants arent wet and the fan above seems to quickly disperse the mist, but that doesnt mean its not doing something to my buds. I already have the humidifier raised on bricks and a smaller fan on the opposite side at ground level for circulation. I know its hard to see with the white background so go by the arrows.

I guess im asking ‘Is a little mist ok through the canopy with proper airflow?’ Thanks

1 Like

I would not want a mist around budding flowers.
It’s odd that your humidity is 45 -55 with a humidifier. With plants in flower, they should be releasing moisture into the air. Transpiration which would raise the humidity. What is the humidity in the tent without the humidifier?
I’m gonna tag a couple and see what they think
@kellydans @Fieldofdreams @MidwestGuy

5 Likes

Well without the humidifier, id say 30 - 35 is its lowest. Im using the humidifier mostly to control temps by constantly filling it with refrigerated water throughout the day. Otherwise, temps get up to 86 in the day. With the humidifier, i can keep temps down to 80 or so.

1 Like

Are you running an exhaust fan?

1 Like

I havent really thought one was necessary due to it not being a fully enclosed system. Holes/slits of the flap door and loosely flapped over the celing. Without the tent and just sitting in the room, day temps would reach 90 and humidity would go down to 30. So the tent gives me a way to use the humidifier to keep the temps down. Any time ive tried actually enclosing it more, the temps get too high.

I apologize for the ghetto setup. It was not how i wanted to do things.

Its all good.
Do you have A/C in the room?
If so, you can run a fan in the lower side of the tent to pull fresh air into the tent. But you will also need a fan to pull it out. Usually around the top outside.
I guess you are not worried about smell cause I would say she is probably getting a little smell?

1 Like

Yes and no to the AC. Theres a small one in the front room, but nothing in the back room. I keep the door open between the two, but its not enough. But if i didnt have the AC at all, temps would be 105+. Kinda taking what i can get.

My hope is that all the ventilation in the tent wont KEEP the humidity in the tent. But as it quickly runs through a couple of the canopies, i wonder/worry if it still might be collecting in the buds as it passes on a microscopic level.

1 Like

And no, smell isnt sn issue. I enjoy the smell immensely. I look forward to it getting stronger!

2 Likes

I would invest in a temp/humidity gauge
You can find them at any big box store.
If you can keep the humidity below 70% with a good circulation of air flow. And temps below 80
Your good.

1 Like

Let me correct. As long as you have a good airflow/ fans blowing through the canopy
Not full blast but just to keep the air moving
That should keep the moisture out of the flowers

1 Like

I have one of those inkbird humidity/temp controlers. But again, no AC to cool it down. You say humidity below 70, but i thought 45 - 55 was good for flowering stage? Stepping up the humidity is fine with me because i would work things a bit differently. Thanks for your time btw.

2 Likes

With what your doing in the room could you run the dehumidifier outside your tent and draw that air into it?

Just a thought to keep it from blowing directly into your flowers

Govee makes an amazing temp/humidity monitor which you can sync to an app on your phone…same price as other similar products as well

4 Likes

I have to do this EXACT thing :rofl: but I figured another way, put the humidifier OUTSIDE the tent, near one of the holes at the bottom of tent if can. Humidity will still go in the tent but won’t be blowing through the canopy

4 Likes

You could also just point one of your fans closest to the humidifier up towards one of the holes, that will push some moisture out

3 Likes

I personally would not want to mist the buds , you can try wetting a towel an lay in grow space should raise Humidity a small amount.
Good luck :v:

2 Likes

Ive been avoiding it because i couldnt afford a new fan, but can try now… Ive been wanting to just put the fan down closer to the humidifier so that it immediately goes into the fan and dissipates the mist… But the last time i tried that, calcium buildup killed the electronics. This a different fan, maybe ill have better luck. Will report back on that at a later date…

1 Like

Good luck brother :pray:t2: I’m sure you’ll be just fine

1 Like

As @Woodrow mentioned an exhaust fan in the ceiling would pull all the rising hot air from the upper portion of your tent and with a lower panel opened that will pull in hopefully cooler air from the room your in. I exhaust out a window to completely remove the air so the lung room isn’t just a warm circle lol.

I don’t have a humidifier but do put buckets filled with water in the tent. I put towels draped over a stick to ‘wick’ water up to evaporate. But with an exhaust pulling air out temps stay good but my rh is a struggle to get over 50%.

Good luck!!

3 Likes

Thats a nice setup. Thanks for the pics. Too much humidity isnt so much the problem. The problem is needing the humidity in order to lower the temp. If i exhaust it out, ill lose the benefit.

The place im living sucks in that aspect. My place, my rent money… but not allowed to add an AC to back room and not allowed to put the plants in front room… until drying. What?? Legal here btw. Pretty frustrating.

Eh well, almost there! Thanks for the tips to try!

Ok, i think i already got something going. You mentioned a secondary fan, so i just took the small one from the opposite side (in blue at bottom) and put it under the barrier where the excess mist was rolling over. This blows it up and away before it can hit the canopies.

Fingers crossed! Ill find out when i close the flap in daytime.

3 Likes