Huge patch of white hairs growing from seedling stem

So today in my aero garden germination hydro thing I found this huge patch of hairs growing out from the stem along with white tipped leaves, which I had seen before just without th huge hair patch coming from the stem… anyone know what this is

And I’m not talking about the normal little hairs like look down the hole and u see a hug patch of straight white fur sticking out… never seen that and can only find very little about it online.

And obviously if u know what’s up with the tips being white lmk too, I’m pretty sure that’s just from there being too much water in the hydro setup from the start but I don’t think that’s the reason for the hair patch

It looks like it’s just the root which should be covered up soit doesn’t get any light. The white patches onthe leaves in not so sure about.

Found this : @Essigba @raustin
What is that white fuzzy stuff growing on top of my grow sponge?

Sometimes people notice a white fuzz developing on the surface of their grow sponges. This is probably a beneficial fungi, and is in fact a sign of healthy, organic, biological activity; it does not harm your plants, prevent germination, or in any way impact the quality or edibility of your plants.

These beneficial fungi exist virtually everywhere organic processes are happening, and can find a comfortable home in the humid, warm, and still conditions on top of a seed pod under a bio-dome. Beneficial fungi can form a symbiotic relationship with the roots of many plants, helping with the uptake of nutrients and moisture.

The beneficial fungi will soon disappear from view as your AeroGarden plants outcompete it for light, nutrients and water. However, some people just don’t like the idea of it, so here are a few things you can do if you just have to kill it:

Remove the bio-dome and don’t replace it. The increased air flow should reduce growth. It may also reduce germination of your seeds.
Scrape off the mold with your fingertip. However this can harm tender sprouts.
If the seed sponge is less than 1/2 inch below the label, push it down inside the grow basket to expose pod to more air, which usually kills it.

2 Likes

Well, that makes sense. I would leave it there if it’s beneficial. Thanks for the research.

It’s most likely mycorrhizae, a beneficial fungi that helps the roots.

Ya completely not worried about it at all, just wondering what it could be, weird genetics or what, didn’t really think fungi tho just from how it was looking but good to know, ya definitely going to leave it alone… do you think that also explains the white tips on the first leaves? I’ve seen those before and they go away after a few days.

1 Like

If you think they’ll go away in a few days, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

First time grower. I planted 5 autoseeds blueberry, amnesia haze, and northern lights 3 six days ago and 2 five days later) growing them in doors. It used peat pellets for gemination and they all broke through the peat 2 or 3 days later. I noticed that they look like they are struggling a little in color and they have white fuzzy stuff on the stem and one at the base as well. Is this mildew should i be worried? I have neem oil and hydrogen peroxide. Should i spray them down? I have them under 24 hour Led lights and a fan constantly blowing. On one of them the leaves are curling down. I do not have them in a tent just in an open room.

There’s nothing wrong with your seedlings, though they are getting a tad stretched. You might want to move the light a little closer.

Thank u for this

1 Like