Huge auto fan leaves

Growing GSC autos, germination was 8/7, and i was hoping for some guidance.
One of my plants has huge fan leaves. The size and weight of them is like a heavy blanket that is covering and holding down the entire plant.
It is so compacted, that it couldn’t be tied down, and trellis netting is also kind of useless as the space between nodes is almost nonexistent.
Should I just let it do its thing? Or is there a fix to such an issue?

2 Likes

If you are concerned about tight node spacing and how compact the plant is, then try moving your light further away from your plant to encourage it to reach up for the light. The size of the fan leaves is a non-issue.

4 Likes

Thanks. How far would you recommend the light be? Its a 200w full spec, and has been at 22 inches from top of plant since germination (18/6)
My concern w/ the leaves, is that everything under them is in darkness and being pushed into the dirt from their weight. I have net preventing the plant from touching the soil, but those dang leaves are smooshing everything together. IF, on the off chance, the autos nodes dont separate, what would you do?

1 Like

Very nice healthy looking plant. When it gets a little bigger you can always tuck some of those big fan leafs to create better light penetration.

1 Like

I hope so! I tried once, but they are the only things with any substance, and end up popping back out because there’s nothing to grab onto.
Hopefully moving light to 30 inches will stretch her and I can successfully try to tuck 'em!
Its strange how the others, same strain, timeline, medium, environment, etc, are so different.
This is my first time with indoor & autos.
My late partner was the farmer, so forgive my inexperience.

2 Likes

I think you’ve been looking over your partners shoulder because your plant looks great. When you’re auto gets four or five full sets of leafs. I like to do a one time fim on the top. What brand is your 200 watt light.

2 Likes

She will grow out of it. Once you get her to stretch a little. You can always trim the lower leaves once she starts to growing. This is a Bubba Kush I did. It started out similar to yours. Short and fat :laughing: Through the grow. She stretched out to a normal girl. You should be fine. My lights are always at 19" starting off

4 Likes

You were right! She’s starting to separate and grow taller. I worried there wasn’t enough time to fix, with them being autos.
Thank you for your quick response and advice.
Here are the 2 plants. Same breed, medium, schedule, environment, etc. Taken after I raised the light and lowered the problem child.

2 Likes

Happy to have been helpful.

2 Likes

I can only hope mine grows like yours did! She’s beautiful. Thanks for the words of comfort. I could not see a real solution, because of the short lifespan. Glad to know I was wrong!

1 Like

Hello. Was hoping to get your opinion on an issue.
I recently discovered brown spots on lower fan leaves (one five leaf). Was told it was Calcium deficiency. Definitely not bugs! That solution seemed strange, since only older leaf affected, but what do I know? I started adding more Calmag to feed.
Then, 4 days ago, on a newer leaf nearby, i noticed white stripes between the veins.
My ph tester died 2 weeks ago and so I was guessing the ph for a week, using distilled water.
I’ve been searching for info; all suggesting Calcium and/or Magnesium deficiency…Until today… I saw a picture of “ph fluctuations”. It looks like mine… I definitely went from 5.5 to 6.5 during the 8 day period i was waiting for tester to arrive.
Whatcha think? Thanks for your time!

It’s not uncommon for older leaves to develop cosmetic issues. I never worry about them and when they degrade I usually just cut them off.

I don’t see any real issues, but pics of the whole plant will be helpful to assess it further.

2 Likes

I hope these photos are good enough!
I know I’m being paranoid about the plants. Perhaps after a dozen grows or so, I’ll stop being so anal?

2 Likes

So how far should you keep a 2x2 grow light from the plant in veg state? I’m about 36in.

They look good.

Looks healthy and I wouldn’t worry.

How far the light should be depends on the light. Lighting should be placed as close to the plant as possible without raising the temperature at the canopy.

2 Likes

Thanks man.

One thing I know about smokers we don’t mind talking about it. As in growing tips.

1 Like

Like above. I try to keep at 19" of the top of the plant. Even when I had purple lights. If I saw a issue. I would move the light up an inch or so. But 19" was always safe for me

1 Like