Hps distance from canopy

Can somone pls tell me how far from canopy i should hang a 600w hps?

Welcome to the forum @Chu666cky . @dbrn32 may know more than most about lights

2 Likes

10 to 26 inches with an MH bulb, 10 to 28 inches with an HPS bulb. Adjust accordingly for heat and light. In general, as they age you can bring the light closer. If you have an air-cooled hood you shouldn’t need to worry about the heat.
If you’re not sure where to start, just place it about 2 feet away from the canopy and bring it closer every couple of days.

2 Likes

How old are your plants?

Just about a month. They are still in veg tent. Im moving them to flower room in a week or so. I want them a lil bit taller before i flip. They are going straight to hps when they go in flower room. I think? lol.

Thanks for the welcome. I would be lost without this forum.

1 Like

I dont have an air cooled hood yet, at this point. I was thinking of macgyvering somthing to get exhaust duct near the open end of the reflector

2 feet give or take should be fine. Just watch how plants respond and adjust as needed.

Perfect. Thank you. I just bought a light and it came with instructions to hang, and hook up and turn on, but nothing on canopy distance

1 Like

I just flipped to 12/12 had a 600 watt my veg bulb then I put a HPS in and the
Plants seemed to stop growing and it got a few degrees hotter 84
So I put the veg light back in
Should
I gave them more time
To adjust?

Switched from 600 watt mh to 600 watt hps? That shouldn’t have been too big of deal as long as ballast is compatible with both.

1 Like

Well it’s working the light is more yellow. Don’t have a meter to check brightness. What should I do ?
The ballast says it’s compatible??

The difference

You’re the one that bought it and is looking at it. I have no idea, some are and some aren’t. You get a little more infrared light with hps, which will heat the canopy a little more. But it has never been an issue switching between bulbs for me.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Just curious do you see a difference in buds with HPS It’s my first grow

1 Like

Hps against what? I quit growing with hid lighting about 6 years ago and moved to leds.

1 Like

I was told HPS is good for flower and MH is good for veg. If the plants don’t respond to HPS I was going to go back to MH

Either will grow weed from seed to harvest. The switching of bulbs is to target different plant responses in different stages of the grow.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like