How to water my first auto flowering seeds?

Hi ILGM community,

I’m new here and I’m also very new to growing. I purchased some auto flowering seeds since they are recommended for beginners. I am in the process of germination right now. I was just wondering how should I water the plant? How many times, how much, what should the water temperature be etc… Sorry if I sound clueless just want to get this plant right. If anyone can provide some sort of schedule that would be amazing!

1 Like

Fill out a support ticket the best you can if you don’t or don’t have yet put that in also down load the grow bible lot of good information there I’ll tag in some people @MidwestGuy @PurpNGold74 @Budz @Hellraiser and welcome let the fun beginCOPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant/what week of flower
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag @dirtydave ur on a roll today man!

Watering seedlings is… tricky? Like i get anytime a new grower asks before dropping them cuz u see page after page after page after page of people killing seedlings or experts admitting to the difficulty of it. Its not a one secret fits all thing (like most growing) and everyone has their ‘trade secrets’.

STARTING seedlings depends on your medium but in general your going to want to do these to things.

1. Medium should be DAMP. Not wet. If its dripping soaking wet. Ur seedlings stem will ‘dampen off’ which is basically rotting as it is too young for constant water log. Too dry and ur roots basically fry.

2. Warmth. The temperatures of young plants (from seed to about 10 days) is sooo underrated its a crying shame. I cant really germinate seeds when our temps in house are under 70. And its almost as horrible tryna raise them lol. Weed enjoys temps in the 80s. Sometimes lower. Sometimes higher. But thats a good point to shoot for.

So all that stated, I grow in soil. If ur in coco things maybe a tad diff. Thus the Ticket.

Back to ur OG question. Watering… my magic trick to watering seedlings is soil… is to NOT to, at least for the first week or so. I start them in solo cups (with drainage cute and holes galore).

So the night before I even germ seeds, I mix up a good batch of water (with Recharge/Tribus which are microbes, healthy microbes is another cheat code to plants) and SATURATE the soil. Nice even slow pouring. Til its running off. Make sure u wet the hole cup of soil. Then throw it in the tent with the lights on. Also a great time to inspect the grow spot, check for light leaks. Notice temp swings. Make sure no fuses bust. Etc.

My seeds have no chance in heck of hitting the soil before 48 hours. By then the moisture is just about right (still normally good for another 4-5 days) and i dont have to touch them! And if I do its VERY gently, with a spray bottle OR a piece of cup of water in circles AWAY from the stem. Make those roots hunt the water AND avoid dampening off

I put that in bold cuz honestly thats all you asked for but hey… info to share lol

5 Likes

Thanks @PurpNGold74 and as always solid advice Germination is the thing most new growers have trouble with and you will get many opinions on how to do it but the one thing we all agree on is over watering is one of the main killers with new growers fill out that support ticet and we can help you with the rest proper planning will make a successful grow

1 Like

Hard to say with such limited information. Please start here.

I still disagree with autofllwers being recommended by main site unless you use their products. RB’s nutrients don’t require pH adjustment in any soil when used with distilled water. So I can see why they say that. But if you aren’t using a full ILGM regimine, autos are not newb friendly.

1 Like