How to sterilize grown tent after powdery mold incident

Hi everyone,
I just harvested my girls when I noticed deep inside a White Widow x AK47 bud powdery mildew. It doesn’t look like it spread to another plants. It was a very small grow. I got rid of the bud with the mildew. I grew them in one tent and am drying in another. How do i sterilize both tents and the room so it doesn’t happen again? Thanks

I would clean the tents with a bleach/water solution to kill any mildew in the tents. What kind of ventilation do you have setup. One cause of powdery mildew is not enough airflow/ventilation.

2 Likes

A mild bleach water or peroxide mix. Even Oxy Clean soap.
Spores exist everywhere so you cant eradicate them totally.
@darkillusion3526 has the best advice to keep humidity down and good airflow.

3 Likes

Bleach and water solution, mild all purpose cleaner with bleach, or peroxide and water solution should take care of it.

3 Likes

And it does not take a lot of bleach to be effective…
1 quart of water in a spray bottle with 1/2 teaspoon of bleach is plenty strong enough to kill mold spores.

3 Likes

Bleach is something I’d only use as a last resort. 3% peroxide kills on contact and dissipates into O and H2O. Bleach leaves a residue that is toxic.

If you found WPM on a single bud I guarantee it’s on all of them. The thing to do knowing you are in a region where there is WPM is plan to do a bud wash at harvest.

4 Likes

True, bleach will leave a salt residue…
But I don’t think 1/2 a tsp in water sprayed on surfaces will leave enough residue to be a health risk.
Its only 5-10% sodium Hypochlorite out of the bottle.
A film of salt will also make a hostile surface for any airborne spores.
Don’t use scented or any products with additives though.
The wife hates chlorine smell so we use iodine (Iodophor) as a sanitizer for brewing and tent cleaning.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the great advice. This was my first grow in a tent. It came with all the bells and whistles. But, alas, I didn’t set up the ventilation system. Just left the parts where they would grow open at night. Lesson learned.

A bud wash down. I will research that. Dang. So you think all the plants have it? Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Myfriendis410 thank you for the helpful tutorial. I think I’m going to like it here.

1 Like

You will find a lot of good people and useful information on this site. Welcome aboard.