How to sex reg seeds fastest

@KeystoneCops I never thought about just popping a bunch and truly not caring, allowing them to all seed in order to get a batch of fresh seeds but then I would have to do it all over again to find the strongest genetics that’s my issue with that.
That being said if I have germination issues with the first 20 it would be a good idea.
I do feel like popping a bunch in 1 gallon pots is a good idea, ditching weak genetics aggressively, as I run out of space while they grow and hopefully by the time I’m down to 4 or so I know Wich ones are female. if I have taken cuttings from them all at 4 weeks like @dbrn32 suggested earlier and popped them strait into flower scedule.

I actually feel good about that strategy but…

Okay do I have two tents side by side what are the chances of a male, that I miss let’s say, Polinating my autos in the other tent?
Most of the time the tents are under negative pressure but maybe for that I would keep the photos always having the fan on to insure negative pressure.
Washing hands between handling each tent would a make Still likey seed my autos?

If you have a male mature enough to drop pollen it will almost certainly happen. Maybe not as if it were in the same tent with Male, but that pollen will be everywhere.

3 Likes

This is what I didn’t want to hear lol, I’m deciding if I should keep my autos going in my other tent while I try this in the spring.

If a photo male pollinated a auto would they be regular auto seeds? Lol

Ps thanks for understanding me, yes I do have two tents that not a question it’s a statement mis worded doh.

Ps @Missiles I swear I seen your dog yesterday at the groomer haha

1 Like

I should clarify that I would only do that breeding project if I had no other plants in flower. You could still veg other plants though.

Alternatively, I might have a friend grow the males under really low light, collect the pollen, and mix it with rice flour. Then I’d paint the pollen mix onto the females, let sit for 6 hours, then wet the whole shebang down with water and dawn.

1 Like

It’s unlikely that any photoperiod x autoflower F1 would be autoflowers. F1 x F1 seeds would be a mix of photo and auto F2s. That’s assuming they P1 cultivars carry pure photo and auto genetics.

Haha I wish! He needs groomed so bad :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have any friends because I just moved here recently.
As I’m not well versed on the genetics the p1 and such doesn’t make full sence to me =p

@Missiles just had our little man groomed, he hadn’t since the spring

1 Like

Somebody on this forum once told me you can sex before sexual maturity. For some SOGS, people flip at 2 weeks, so clearly that 4 week rule isn’t a hard and fast rule.

Also, a cutting doesn’t have to root to show sex.

2 Likes

Meaning I could grow a bunch for 2 weeks, take cuttings and put them under flowering light scedule to see who’s male and who’s female asap. Then cull any males and see who grows the best of the females.
@blackthumbbetty

1 Like

P1 just means parent generation 1. F means filial, aka siblings.

Well what is a pure auto genetic? Lol

1 Like

That would be a 100% ruderalis.

1 Like

Found this. Lots of options.

2 Likes

That’s not necessarily true, since ruderalis can impart autoflowering traits to hybrids, and I thinksome other landraces exhibit day-neutral flowering characteristics.

What I mean by “pure autoflower” is that if you backcross the plant, all offspring will be autoflowering.

In the case of sog that’s true but they are usually run from clone. Clones being age of their mother, plenty mature. You can certainly put them on 12/12 whenever, but it has always taken longer in my experience. Even the plants right at 4 weeks can sometimes take a little longer. When I’ve had a well mature plant they usually show between 7-10 days. When I tried a couple seeds 12/12 all the way through they didn’t show until about 40 days.

3 Likes

This is what I was suggesting, but I think will take a long time to sex at only 2 weeks old.

It’s probably your best option. If you keep the plants in veg and put the cuttings in with your autos on 12/12, they won’t spit pollen the day sacks form. You’ll have plenty of time to identify the male clones and get them out. Then do just like you said, cull male plants that you identified from the clones. And you can absolutely do this in just a glass of water without worrying if they root or not.

4 Likes

Wait so take all the cuttings and put them labeled in a glass if water? Thry will show flowers or sacks before they die? Wouldn’t that water need rooter hormones and nutes?

3 Likes

You don’t really want them to root. You could put a little for nutrients in the water, but as long as they don’t take an extended time to show they make it long enough.

4 Likes

Yeah, I just didn’t think thry would live long enough in a glass of water🤣

4 Likes

Longer than most realize

3 Likes