How to make sticky buds

When is the earliest anyone is ever split a plant I might experiment with one of my white widow autos and do it a little early just to see what happens

1 Like

I’ve started splitting all my seedlings
:knife::seedling:

2 Likes

I’m watering a Northern Lights today to be stem split tomorrow.

I was ready to split today, mentally, but noticed she was drying out and figured to water her today, get some moisture up to those buds before the stress.

I don’t know what to expect…up to 20% more weight, more resin, more THC?..all I know is the plant will be dead in a week, it won’t be the stress that killed her, it’ll be me!

4 Likes

Hahahaha good luck with the splitting hope it works out for the best
I was planning on it but now I’m just not sure :thinking:
Let us know how it works out
:v:CB

2 Likes

I know my stem, thicker than the ones in the examples…but what’s to lose?

it’s not like it’s a sequoia and I wanna drive a car thru…

5 Likes

Yep please let us know maybe before and after pictures if possible? …would sure like to see some comparisons

4 Likes

You can’t loose anything I read about it is if you do it wrong you just have to harvest early
Hope it yields good results @ I’m with @Paranorman
Would like to see before and after

2 Likes

Made me in that group too, I plan to try it :wink::innocent::+1::eyes:

1 Like

I just finished maintenance…when I look at the trichs on my soon to be stem split girl with my 63 year old eyes…I see mostly cloudy, very little clear, very little amber…my target zone.

the other plant still shows clear and cloudy so it’s 2 weeks away, as well as my Gold Leaf I doused with acid as a seed, gibberellic acid, and it still has a week or 2 to go.

I didn’t plan on stopping nutes the last two weeks, I let the plant tell me, and the leaves stayed healthy enough so the 3 girls are on a water only basis till harvest. The last time I fed them, I think the ppm was about 600, mostly bloom NPK.

4 Likes

Lol I am with you @kabongster, I know the feeling, when I go to check my babies I have to wear UV 400 protective glass, however, it’s not an over glass one so I have to remove my correcting ones and see blurr and double if I am too close, lol :sweat_smile: :wink: :innocent: , I am currently in a search for over glass UV 400 certified protective glass.:eyes:

The plant never lies about when it’s in need :innocent::v:

2 Likes

you can call me kabongster the impaler…

and the utensils…it wasn’t easy

the plant that got split was always an under performer, smaller than the second NL started at the same time, always needed something under the pot to get it nearer the light.
I’m thinking I didn’t help her out,I stressed her out earlier with my stem snipping, all done in veg which you can see in the photo…I’m relieved I don’t see any male flowers…so this plant has been an experiment from the first month into the grow. She ate and drank less and reacted to smaller pH changes and never did develop into a robust plant.

the clearest close up out of the pics I took, a small side bud…

what can I expect in 3-7 days when trichomes and the THC takes weeks to mature from clear to cloudy…maybe a little bulking up, but I do place this in the “at this point, it can’t do much harm” category, atm, and I don’t intend to do it to the larger Northern Lights I have growing…unless our mentors endorse it.

2 Likes

I’ve been calling you that for a long time now LOL just kidding looks good I guess I don’t know, hope you got some close-up trike pictures for before and after?!

1 Like

lol, I’ll do my cameras best…I do need a tripod and something to press the button, a stable surface to rest on for clarity. Turning off the fans would help stop any small movements, too. My macro photos have been declining in quality recently.

1 Like

Oh man believe me anything you can do is better than what I can do! when I bend forward to look at the tri’s thru my 60× I get dizzy I don’t know if it’s the blood pressure or what but I nearly fall down, it’s all I can do to get a focus on them anyway LOL, I’m pretty sure they’re almost all cloudy on at least one incredible bulk but who the hell knows LOL I do my best, it’s all I can do these days

5 Likes

I’m there with you…I look with the loupe and what I can hold in focus looks cloudy…then I look at them in an enlarged photo and I doubt myself.

split a stem, commit to a harvest, lol!

3 Likes

That’s a massive trunk on that lady… I like them big down low as well as on top… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

just to set the record straight…I started 2 Northern Lights and I split the stem on the runt figuring it could only help

this is the larger one

and the split one

3 Likes

I split the stem on my Bluberry Kush Auto on Wednesday and am waiting for the first sign of amber in my trichs. Seems like it should be any day. Then I will cut the lights and hope for the best. This is the first time I tried this so we will see. This is the first BB Kush I’ve grown though so I guess I wont really know if its better, but I’ll know its as good as I could do. It is hard to focus on the trichomes. This is the first time that I have had a jewelers eye piece so I can actually see them. The hard part is holding still enough to get a good look. I’ll try to get some pics of the buds when they’re ready.

1 Like

my plan is 5 days with the split stem…I dunno why 5 days…then a night a day then a night, 36 hours darkness, then it’s harvest time… I recall it being discussed and I think it was MacG…

found it! :blush:

@MacGyverStoner ILGM Bergman’s Lab Grow Support Guru - Science Officer - Moderator Aug '15
"I don’t think the dark period before chopping it down is that extremely important, at least not for that long anyway.

As @latewood likes to remind us, the plant is not dead even after being chopped down, and much of the biological activity will continue while the plant is hanging in the dark, very slowly drying, kind of the pre-cure early dry part of the entire process.

Also, I think the solid 12 hour dark period on the last day of the grow cycle is mostly good enough, and if you time it in such a fashion that you give the plant an extra 12 hours darkness tacked onto that last night, so you have one 24 hour period of darkness for the plant before harvesting, and then a following approximate 12 hours of darkness, more or less to fit a schedule for when it is convenient for you to chop it all down at one sitting, then you have almost 36 hours of complete darkness, and from what I’ve read up on the subject, this amount of darkness, 36 hours, is what seems to show the most benefit, and any increase in dark period beyond this for most strains has not been documented to show any significant increase in yeild, weight, density, or potency.

Also, here are some other thoughts on this. Some studies do show resin production seems to peak right before the light would come back on, or the dawn outdoors. Most growers that practice this do seem to agree more than 48 hours does not show any real benefit for the mass majority of strains they’ve tried it with, a few exceptions not withstanding. That last 36 hour dark period would put you at the morning of the second day if you get my meaning, chopping down right after that 2nd peak resin production. And I really don’t think the plant is going to do much more than that after that, as actively biologically it really doesn’t do much at all during the dark period, above ground anyway, and any longer and you are starting to ask for problems, maybe inviting rot and such."

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that great info @kabongster

1 Like