How to get the hash oil after harvesting?

Hello from good ole OZ to my fellow Dope Connoisseurs. I’m well versed in growing indoors using a NFT system. My latest venture is 15 SuperSkunk trees. I’ve never extracted hash oil though from my leftover stems and leaves. I would usually discard them as waste!!! I ask now because of a friend of mine who has MS, and knows that I grow. She asked me if I could get the oil for her to use. No form of Mary Jane, medicinal or not, is legal in Australia! So any help on how the process goes to extract the oil would be much appreciated.

What’s the highest proof alcohol you can get your hands on ?

1 Like

Close to 100 proof alcohol, maybe more.

2 Likes

I know where this is going. :wink:
@HornHead has got u covered. :v::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Google quick wash isopropyl alcohol
They say use highest proof drinking alcohol like 151, I have done both. For taste, 151 drinking alcohol was better. I have a thread on here somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it for you

1 Like

Turning 2oz of fluff bud into oil - #13 there you go buddy. I believe if you let the alcohol soak longer, you will get more of a medicinal effect. Anything else just ask

2 Likes

Thank-you for the help. Anything that can ease the turmoil that MS does to the body, will give my friend some respite I’m sure.

Alcohol, butane, or co2 pretty much. Looks like Hornhead can get you setup on alcohol extraction. It’s the cheapest to get started doing, but cost/yield without being able to reclaim alcohol is the highest long term. I’m not sure about in your part of the world, but everclear and 100% food grade alcohol are produced most popular for alcohol extraction here.

1 Like

You can also take the trimmings and stems and use a dry ice shaker bag method.

Dry ice, trimmings and shaker bag to shake off trichomes onto a clean surface. This gives you the hash. Then you can add that to oil or alcohol in a double boiler to get tincture. (Decarbing begins around 165-175 but don’t allow internal temp to go above 200) 190 seems to give best results

Meat thermometer works well

Or take hash/trichomes and heat press then for wax

3 Likes

I get a pretty good return I think. On the first wash off an ounce I get about 4-6 grams of clean oil/shatter. Not positive on proper name. Haven’t weighed of much I get for second washing

2 Likes

Of just trim hornhead or flower?

I used the bottom flush bud in thread. I just did about 24 gram a few days ago but didn’t weigh it

How much alcohol, trim, and how long did you wash it for?

K, I dry ice all my wet trimmings for the trichomes and just press that for a nice thick wax… like legit ear wax :laughing:

2 Likes

Got this from a food scientist:

Freeze plant material. Freeze alcohol. Any flower needs to be gently broken up and not ground. Also not decarboxylated. Ratio is 1 gram of plant material per fluid ounce of alcohol. Highest proof available, food grade only. Mix together and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Shake at 15, 30 and 45 minutes, then remove and drain off liquid from plant material at one hour. This will extract 99% of available oils and very little chlorophyll which is bitter. Now you can evaporate that solution gently down until you get the product you want. Rick Simpson oil is something you might want to look up.

For active THC (B) you should decarb first.

3 Likes

I normally use 1 oz bud and about 10oz alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol about 30 seconds. Any longer and the chlorophyll starts to come out

151 alcohol up to a minute

1 Like

Good call on the decarb part. 8 forgot

2 Likes

You’re not getting a good purge then and a lot of the weight left over is alcohol. That’s the two of the downsides of ethanol extraction, even at using 100%. Its polar so pulls stuff you don’t want, and almost impossible to purge. Even huge commercial setups struggle to get cannabinoid content and purity of butane. What you have would be considered a tincture, not shatter. Even then, processing grade A buds provides better yields than trim in any of the systems.

Ethanol extraction is great for home grower just looking to get some extract cheap. You can do it pretty safely without a bunch of expensive equipment.

2 Likes

@Syd1488 how will your friend be using the oil?

I have been making RSO for skin cancer and have learned a lot from @THCCBD on using RSO.

She goes into great detail on administration here:

1 Like

Need a Buchner filter

Ending up with this

Then evaporate it down