How to correctly measure the Ph of soil?

Hello, to everyone!
It’s my first time here, so please excuse me if my topic is existing already ( didn’t found it) or it is in the wrong category.
How can I correctly measure the ph of my soil, when to measure it, how often, with what to fix to the correct levels.

Thank you, for your time!

1 Like

Welcome to the community. You can perform a soil slurry test. I don’t have directions handy but you can give it a google.

Here is a chart showing the best soil pH for nutrient availability.

Hope this helps and other growers will add their expertise.

2 Likes

A proper pH meter like Apera and or Blue Lab. Both are excellent pH meters.

Water till you can get runoff out of the bucket and or fabric pot. Then you test the water you captured and go from there.

This all depends what Medium you are using. Like Coco 5.8 pH going in. FFOF and or FFHF is 6.5 pH going in.

I personally don’t pH nor do I do runoffs. I am a major anomaly when it comes to growing marijuana. I do my own thing and do not conform to the standard practices of growing marijuana and I produce Beasts and Super Beasts.

7 Likes

Thank you very much!
The chart is very useful, thank you JaneQP
Someone told me to mix 50/50 soil with clean water, shake the solution and measure the ph of it.
Is this method trustful?

When I get a correcr reading of the soil’s Ph, how can I lower it or higher it?
With what?

Thank you!

You need to use distilled water. Make sure to get as deep and towards the center as possible without disturbing roots.

5 Likes

That is a slurry test. When you do that, try to collect soil a couple inches down careful to avoid the root system. But normally a regular runoff test already described will give you the numbers you need.

3 Likes

Here’s a video that will teach you the best way to do a slurry test.

5 Likes

Thank you all, for the quick response and the warm attitude.
After I make the measurements with what can I regulate the ph levels?

3 Likes

I don’t normally worry about the actual soil ph, it normally kinda buffers itself. I do however ph all the water going in. If I’m having issues I’ll measure the ph of the water coming out in the runoff

5 Likes

Agree with @Pinboy testing the soil PH is usually not needed unless there’s a big problem

3 Likes

Vinegar will lower the Ph and baking soda will raise the Ph. Good luck.

4 Likes

I always check the ph of my solutions( mix of fertilizers and water)
I keep it 6.3 everytime.
I just wanted to check it and be able to do it the right way.
I’m going to do the slurry test and see the numbers.

4 Likes

Post back what you come up with for curiosity sake

3 Likes

Theres a ph pen that has a different probe on it for soil that u can get have a look on Amazon Usa

2 Likes

Blue Lab stuff ain’t cheap, but worth every penny. A bunch of them.

4 Likes

Oh I know that is why I went with the Apera 20 meter. Works perfectly once you dial the pH in. I did look at Blue Lab but many growers recommended Apera based on costs. You get the newer Apera meters and they are also not cheap. :+1:

Several ways of doing this depends on how quick u need the numbers. U can soak the pot slowly and catch runoff from the bottom of the pot and check that way. I can get distilled water or ro water and drop a nice amount of the soil or coco in the ro water stir good let it set for 10 to 20 mins stir again let it settle and then check the numbers of that in the cup. Good luck. U really don’t have to chase numbers all that often unless u see an issue arise or feel like u need to check it. Don’t stress out over things sometimes stressing leads to doing things that don’t need done and it causes more issues have patience ask question and have fun. This is what I learned about these plants. They do basically what u want them to do as long as u feed them right and keep their surrounds happy for them they will make u happy.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right!
I’m not really stressing, it’s more a curiosity that drives me to look at the numbers.

1 Like