How to bring PPM down?

In the context of the discussion we wondered if his tester was off. So reading distilled water was a thought to see what it said. If he gets 300ppm on distilled water then his tester is wonky.
Thats all I was looking for.

6 Likes

@Spiney_norman I was picking up what you were putting down! Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Soak the probe in distilled water for a half hour or so and try again! Or a storage solution.

4 Likes

@Spiney_norman @Audiofreak @Borderryan22 @Tylersays @Myfriendis410 assuming my tester is accurate and my PHed reading is over 700, is that to high for my seedlings? Is there a filter system I can add to help bring the PPM down?

What is the reading of your water, alone, no pH, straight from the tap?

@Borderryan22 691

You should have to chew that water. LOL i could be wrong but it seems too high to be accurate.

3 Likes

Under normal growing conditions you are only concerned about the ppms BEFORE adjusting the pH.
If it really is that high you will either have to filter it or buy/obtain filtered water.
If you want to just try it on a seedling and see what happens that may tell you a lot.

1 Like

That’s not unsafe levels, but that is real high straight from tap.

Maybe check out the water reports on nearby towns.
My town is only a couple thousand people and posts a report. Its a well water town.

2 Likes

Same as you. I’m on a natural spring well. I’m at 250

@Spiney_norman I have watered my seedlings with it and now I realize I have a problem due to the yellowing of a couple plants.

Im going to grab some distilled water here shortly to make sure my tester is accurate and reads 0. Ill report back. Thanks for everyones help.

3 Likes

Mine reads 6 to 12 on distilled water. Just fyi to not expect 0 but it should read below 20

2 Likes

Ok thanks. Just because it was the only other water I have atm, i tested some pureified water and it tested 3 PPM.

1 Like

Do you have lime buildup on your faucets?

Or iron in the toilet or tub?

2 Likes

@Spiney_norman I have very heavy lime build up. Without my hard water system my dishes come out of the dish washer with powder on them.

2 Likes

BINGO…thats some hard water there

3 Likes

So you have a lot of calcium.
Water softeners do leave salts in the water that buildup in soil too.
You might just have to look into an RO filter system. If only for your physical health.
But your plants will love it too.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S7TAK2
I have this. Been using it for 15 years.
New Pre/post filters every 6 months.
New RO membrane every year or every other pre/post filter change.
Cost around 200 per year to operate.

2 Likes