How often to water coco coir

I’ve read different opinions about watering and feeding coco coir: some water every other day, some water every day and some 2 even 3 times a day as coco is considered a hydro medium. My plant is in a 2 gallon pot and I’m watering with a calmag- nutes-nutes- flush schedule. The coco medium is always moist. I’m curious as to whether watering twice a day would be even better. Opinions? Thanks

1 Like

i use coco coir 90% and 10% perlite… i feed everyday personally but the best answer is to feel the weights on the pots… if they weigh a bit then they don’t need feeding but if they are light then they are hungry… there a lots of opinions but with coco depending on your lights it will dry up pretty quickly, so smaller more frequent feedings give a better response in my experience if you have time to feed twice a day then that wont be a bad thing can always keep her slightly hungry then and quick on the uptake every feed :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the quick answer!:ok_hand:

I’m using 70/30 coco/perlite. I’m watering with a garden sprayer when all runoff in the tray below the pot has evaporated. I water til the I first see water coming from the bottom of the pot. This has been working great for me!

1 Like

How big is your pot and how often do you water? Do you also add nutes with each watering?

1 Like

i am growing in 7gal pots and i water,feed,water feed every other day… so i watered last night,sunday i’ll lift pots to make sure they are light then feed… i’m growing autos if that makes a difference to you.
also i am using sunshine promix #4

1 Like

The water is a quarter strength CalMag that has been ph adjusted to 5.7.

I’m starting seeds with the paper towel method. Once I’ve got a good tap root, I transplant them into the coco mix in six inch pots. Once the roots start coming out the bottom of the pot, the plant gets moved to a DWC bucket and gets its first dose of nutes. I was initially planning to move them to five gallon grow bags with coco mix in them, but I was having ph problems with the coco.

So there’s always a rest day in between watering and feeding?

1 Like

at my house there is,lol
again i am using 7gal pots and two of my girls are taking up water much faster than the other…
pretty soon they may get some everyday,who knows…
let your gals dry up pretty good and pick them up, i’m a bit ocd and like turning mine regularly…they like that too…
kinda got to take all this info everyone has given and find something that works with your grow…

3 Likes

well said what works for one wont always work for another… cherry pick everyone’s idea’s til you find your own style :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Drip systems all the way man, can’t get better than auto feeding in my opinion

1 Like

Auto feed takes all the guess work out of it just wish they was a touch cheaper lol

what about the large chunk coco medium I heard it drains a lot better from people I know that use it

1 Like

Wow this info is drastically different than what I’m doing. I’m doing it wrong. I’m watering, including nutes every 3 or 4 days. Anymore than that and the pan overflows and it runs all over the floor. I have a 4 gallon pot. I give it 1qt at a time. I bought a kelp-based concentrate just today to mix up a foliar spray, but haven’t applied it yet. And what do you mean by flushing?

@muffybunny, I’m doing the same as you but mine are in 1 gallon fabric pots for the next month. I’ll tag you over to my journal if you are interested.

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 for sure. Tag me

1 Like

I’m in coco/perlite and I feed every watering and I water twice daily. One of the dangers of coco is watering it like pro-mix. You either need to water coco everyday or, allow the coco to really dry out. Always, always always water to runoff. That’s my routine

5 Likes

As nice as coco is. …reusable, no bugs, daily excuse to visit the garden instead of doing household chores…the ferts, which aren’t cheap, get used up a lot faster than with soil, don’t you agree?

2 Likes

I use coco and perlite. I feed-water every 2nd day. 5 Lts each plant. In 20 Lt plastic pots.
I went from dwc to coco…so much less work…and just as good as or if not better results than hydro.

1 Like

I’d be interested in following your journal too. I have 4 in 1 gallon fabric pots with coco. This was an accident - I thought I was buying dirt; but am happy with it because i had just recently learned about the coco and had planned to try it on the next batch. :smile:
The girls are in a closet with a florescent starter light but will move into a 4x4 tent once the one that’s in there is harvested (she’s my first)

1 Like