How much weight will my cannabis lose when drying?

A question from a fellow grower:

How much weight will my cannabis lose after drying it and is there any methods to avoid 75 percent of weight lost before you yield.

75% is a good average weight loss. If you weigh before you trim, there’s even more loss there.

You can’t avoid weight loss from drying. Moisture has to be removed and when moisture is removed there is weight loss. Now, to keep the appearance of weight loss to a minimum, you can always stop watering until the leaves wilt before you pull the plant to dry. That will cause less moisture to be in the plant while drying and make the weight loss appear to be less. This “starving” a plant at the end is actually good for trichome production and will up the potency of the bods.

Now, with all that said, you can get rid of all that anxiety by not weighing until they’re completely dry.

4 Likes

I agree. 75-80%. I grew buds that were over 5 oz. wet, and dried they were 1.25 oz.

1 Like

65%-75% on average. It’s going to happen so just be prepared for the shock if you’ve never harvested! Some people would like to say that adding molasses and a bud densener/hardener in towards the end of harvest will help with weight loss, but this is a myth. Not only is it a myth, but you can actually cause problems with harshness and flavor if you do use this flawed technique. Just some added info people. Stay Frosty my Friends.

2 Likes

Not certain where you get your info but you are incorrect, using molasses strengthen the root system by feeding organic soil, apparently you have never done a side by side grow (I have done NUMEROUS, enough to know you don’t know what you’re talking about) you should stop using molasses like the last 7-10 days (before harvest), it does NOT sweeten your weed, it feeds the root system…PERIOD!!!