How much soil to use?

Hmm, I came in here in the middle I think. So before I offer any real advise. I would like to ask so I don’t have to start from the top.

Are you only growing in the 4x4 tent
Are you only planning on doing 2 plants
Which nutrients are you using

I forget now if you are doing this in coco or soil. Sorry. I tend to need refreshers now and then. Trying to keep up with multiple grows is getting a little harder.
You all ready mentioned your lights, so I am good there.
Basically. Once you know what you want. plant size basically. You can move forward from there. Piece by piece

1 Like

Okay. I use sohum soil it’s all organic and has all the nutrients in soil it’s just add water from seed to harvest. Right now I have 4 plants in my 4x4 grow tent 2 are GG the other 2 are the random seeds but those will be going under led lights tomorrow. I am hoping on having 2 plants in 4x4 tent if the other GG seed doesn’t grow I will be just having the GG plant in 4x4 tent. I plan on topping them too and will be doing scrog method.

2 Likes

You have a 50/50 chance of any given seed being female. @Not2SureYet is 100% on sexing regular seeds and I’ll put up this shot of my last plant that was picked this way. It’s a good example of SCROG and multiple colas but you also have to remember that a large canopy has to be supported by a matching root mass. You can over do the canopy and it will suffer yield. The plants will only accept a certain rate of nutrients and beyond a certain point in normal atmosphere additional light doesn’t help. Once you hit your DLI the plant is unable to process the light well.

Your soil will slow everything down with respect to media like coco but nothing wrong with it; just size your pot for the canopy you anticipate and be prepared to supplement if she outgrows the pot.

Sometimes. Sometimes not haha. Indicas seem to have a lower stretch that can be further lowered (10 to 15%) by reducing your light schedule from 16/8 down to 12/12 over a 10 day period. It doesn’t work so well on sativa dominant strains IME. Just an FYI.

2 Likes

If I switch the light early vegitative stage to 12/12 to see if those 2 are either male or female and switch the light back to 18/6 will that hurt the plants?

1 Like

Plant won’t respond until sexually mature and by then you can tell.

1 Like

So I just do the same thing as the photos as I been doing and when it comes to flower time then I’ll know? I have read that you can deter,ine the sex of the plant 3 weeks of growing idk if that’s false or not.

1 Like

They won’t show anything until they reach a certain point. One thing that confuses it is clones, taken from a sexually mature plant can be rooted and flipped immediately.

1 Like

Even if there random seeds?? Certain point as when? I’m kinda sad that this is 5th day of GG not sprouting but other did (maybe it’s a slow grower? The 2 other ones got about 4 small leaves of I Thriving. Should I give up on the one that hasn’t popped out yet ot leave it alone for awhile? So I’ll be forced to leave the striving GG under both tent with 1000 watt try at least get bigger yield. I
What I dont get is I left the 2 random seed germinated for 5 days then planted them the GG is was one 3-4 day germination 1 took off while the other spend is still in soil… I dont know what to do at this point either trash it or wait longer? But anyways with then not even 3 days of random seed they started sprouting and thriving both of them. Any thought? All 4 GG seeds grew amazing but the one that didnt sprouted yet is the only time that happens to me… I sure dont hope those 2 random plants are females… if not it will be a waste of time somewhat besides the Gg I know its gonna be really good when it grows amazing. “If” those random plants turn female I’m wanting to also pick the big buds off leave every popcorn buds let it not be stressed out and flip to vegitative stage to produce more buds. I’ve been hearing that on certain forums and dont know if it’s TRUE or not. There is a lot of speculation about that method

these 2 unknown strain is growing faster than the feminized GG.

in your opinion it’s been about 3 weeks for 1 GG seed to sprout and it hasn’t yet but the others have. Should I go ahead and call it a dud, and remove it or what?

1 Like

Yeah; that was a failure to launch.

Are you putting a clear dome over these? If not you should.

1 Like

So since it’s been 3 weeks already just toss that seed out? I’m not using a dome I germinate in water till they get their tails then put them in a pot works everytime besides the one that died. I have a humidifier in tent now cause without it it was 26 percent humidity. I had totally forgot I had a 2nd bag I bought from sohum soil I was worrying I didnt have enough soil but then realized it was for autos whenever I get them. Should I wait a little longer to transplant the 3 good ones into 5 gal pots and put 1k hps on for vegitative stage? I’ve done it with 600 watt light and it loved it but dont know about hps light. I reused sohum soil without composting it but from company they say when you use soil for seed to harvest all the nutes is gone. I dont know if I should keep using the last grow soil to experiment more on the random plants or go ahead and use the fresh sohum soil. Or use half last grow soil and half new soil or even just use new soil on the 2 random plants if they turn out to be females? What’s your opinions? @Dr.DankThumb420 also the yellow leaves on bottom can either be not enough nutes or humidity was kinda low? Oh another opinion from yall since 1 feminized seed is thriving and since the 1 plant is going to be the only one in 4x4 tent under 1k hps light it’s going to take longer to get to harvest and since 1 plant is gonna be in bigger tent and more light can I get away from doing longer veg if so what’s yalls recommendation on how long can I vegitate for like not to little not to long. I dont know if this is a myth but good bit of organic soil growers say with photo feminized seeds using organic water only all nutes you can’t vegitate for that long . I’ve never tried to longer vegitate yet but wanting to start this grow as possibly start cloning plants for first times. I appreciate all of yall for the support and all the advices given to me and I promise I take yalls advice. Btw I might of said this before but yall are the far best growing community ever in my book. Plus what i love the most is there’s no toxicity, people respect each other and help others with growing to be better. I support this community 150% just letting everyone know that. Also before I forget GG that actually made it and 2 randoms strains/plants are about 5 days apart. 2 random seeds/plants started growing faster than feminized GG. You can tell in the pics I posted up. I’m hoping so much those are 2 female plants instead of males cause it would be a waste of time but I guess I if they are males I can just stick them in 3x3 tent and put male and female (eventually if I find humidity dome so I can start cloning plants to save more money)in same plant to cross breed.next week I’ll have better pics maybe tomorrow all depends to let yall be updated and see what yall think. 1 last thing isn’t it kinda good using scrog net on 4x4 tent with 1 pant in it so I can spread all colas out different directions since it will be in middle of light so that way every bit of it light hits lower bud mark, middle and higher buds? Also if I make my mind on getting regular seeds to try out one day do you think it will be worth it to get or just stick to feminized seeds?

1 Like

Yeah if the seed hasn’t at least cracked and thrown a tale, I’d replace it. Are you changing the water daily to keep fresh? Also they like to be warm around 78-84 degrees is optimal
I would stick with Feminized Seeds unless your really wanting to grow a specific strain that isn’t offered in feminized. For the 4x4 you could scrog, or you could just lst and super cropp to get a flat canopy. For veg time, if your not trying to veg long, then 4- 6 weeks is optimal. I usually go longer, a plant will veg out pretty much as long as you want it. However it will be mature within 4-6 weeks of veg, so it could be flowered if desired.
If your using used soil, it’s probably depleted and you should reinvigorate it with some type of nutrients/mycos. If not then fresh souds good. @GreenThumb101

1 Like

The 1 GG is in new soil and is growing strong. The 2 plants I dont know the strain or of its male or female are in used soil and thriving. Do you think I can get away with 8 weeks of veg getting better yield? The 1 GG seed that didn’t grow I’m going to throw that one away. I’m hoping the 2 plants that are in used soil are females instead of males. How early can you tell if they have sacs or not? All of the plants that are thriving really love the 1k light alot big difference from 600 watt light. I’m probably going to wait another week to switch too hps and transplant to bigger pots. I’ll for sure keep you updated.

Just took these pics of the plants. The set of pictures is the GG she is the one that is not stretching. I’m down to 3 plants three the other one away wasn’t growing at all. I had taken 2 pictures per plant the ones in the white pot is the GG

These pictures are the ones given to me from a friend. They are defenitly stretching I know its Indica strain that’s about it. The bud that had these 2 seeds in it made me feel like I was in the couch lol

2 Likes

So I just transplanted the plants into 5 gal buckets. I had changed the light too my brand new 1000 watt hps bulb. When I turned it on it started sparking inside bulb and started smoking. I changed it back to the 1000 watt mh bulb. I have emailed vivosun letting them know they need to send me a replacement bulb. Right now its 4 week mark since plants touched soil. Should I keep using my 1000 watt mh bulb til the hps bulb comes in or should I switch ballist and bulb to 600 watt hps and add 2000 watt led light to the plants? This is what hps bulb looks like now.

1 Like

Can someone tell me if these 2 plants are male or female? To me it doesn’t look like sacs but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

I can’t tell from the photos on gender but you might want to get your loupe out and check for pests. Those little black spots worry me.

2 Likes

Way too early for sexual differentiation.

2 Likes

The black spots are soil. I had topped all 3 plants and put some soil on the place where I cut at. My camera wont get a clear picture of plants close up. I will take a better picture in a few with loupe. It looks identical to the feminized GG plant but I am not too sure.

1 Like